PDA

View Full Version : Please Help ibook screen Grey

longhair
Aug 16, 2007, 08:20 AM
Hope someone can help,I have a 2year old G4 ibook (white) with grey screen,the back light comes on,and I can hear the start up bong,also I can hook it up to my PC monitor,and all is good,but the screen on laptop there is nothing.Is this thing junk????? I have searched this fourm for others with like problem,could this be the logic board?? Or the cable to screen??
Please Help
Gregg

techlover828
Aug 16, 2007, 08:22 AM
I would say its most likely the screen.

FJ218700
Aug 16, 2007, 08:27 AM
I had this problem on a 700 MHz iBook. Logic board replacement fixed it.

longhair
Aug 16, 2007, 09:11 AM
I had this problem on a 700 MHz iBook. Logic board replacement fixed it.

Could you please tell me what I should expect to pay for logic board replacment? And is this something I could do myself?

Thanks for your reply
Gregg

FJ218700
Aug 16, 2007, 12:07 PM
Could you please tell me what I should expect to pay for logic board replacment? And is this something I could do myself?

Thanks for your reply
Gregg

so I assume then you don't have applecare, pity. Mine was under warranty, so I don't know what the price was. However, I recently inquired about a logic board replacement on one of my eMacs, and it was quoted at around $700.

I've never done a logic board replacement, so don't know the difficulty. Others with hopefully chime in soon regarding this fact.

I'd get it diagnosed professionally thought before attempting anything.

Sir Hobos
Aug 16, 2007, 03:44 PM
So when you have your laptop by itself, nothing connected to it, you hear it startup with the chime and the back light comes on, but no visuals on the screen. But, when you have the miniVGA adapter hooked up to an external monitor and start it up you can run everything normally correct?

longhair
Aug 17, 2007, 06:24 AM
So when you have your laptop by itself, nothing connected to it, you hear it startup with the chime and the back light comes on, but no visuals on the screen. But, when you have the miniVGA adapter hooked up to an external monitor and start it up you can run everything normally correct?

Sir Hobos,
That is correct sir,this is my daughters computer and it quit right before she is to return I.U. I hate to replace it (only 2 years old) and very expensive. But I gotta do something SOON.
Thank you both for the replys!!
Gregg

Sir Hobos
Aug 17, 2007, 02:55 PM
Alright, lets calm down longhair, your daughter's computer will be just fine. We know that it works flawlessly except that it doesn't sent an image to the internal screen, only an external one. This can be because of a number of reasons:
1. bad logic board(Highly unlikely, but plausible)
2. bad LCD(lets hope not, but cheaper to fix than the logic board)
3. bad cable from the logic board to the LCD(a somewhat easy fix)
4. bad cable connection(an ibook can be thrown around allot by a kid, the cable might have just become disconnected(an even easier fix))
5. bad PRAM(PRAM is a spot of memory that stores your settings: like should the computer send an image to the screen?(lets hope it is this!))

So those are the possible problems that I can think of, if anyone else has any thought on any other problems, please post.

Now we get to talk about solutions... I would zap your PRAM first.
Zaping your PRAM will reset all your settings to the default factory settings, in the mac world this as a magical tonic that cures all. It may work, it may not, but it is the easiest thing I can think of. To do so...
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

longhair respond with your computer's reactions after doing this.

longhair
Aug 17, 2007, 06:12 PM
Sir Hobos,
Did what you said to do,had my toes crossed(my fingers were busy) still just a grey screen.So I tried again,same result.But I do thank you very much for your time trying to help.I just love fourms,just can't beat the wealth of knowledge to be had on this kind of format.

Thanks A Bunch
Longhair :)

Sir Hobos
Aug 20, 2007, 06:15 PM
sorry about the lack of reply longhair, I've been busy at work all week. Anyhoot, how do you feel about opening your daughter's computer? if you are okay with that you can find instructions on ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/). I would now try disconnecting your lcd cable and then plug it back in. Please post back with any questions if you have any.

mac2001
Sep 8, 2007, 03:21 PM
I was wondering if you had any luck with your computer? My sister is having the same problem with her ibook G3 (the computer turns on only to a grey screen and shuts off). Is there a cheap solution to this? We have already invested so much money into the ibook. It is just frustrating that all these problems keep happening. I have an ibook G3 also, and it has its own problems... :(