Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
anybody know where i could rubber feet for a 12 inch powerbook? 2 of mine have come off and i cant find one. thanks.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
My friend had the same exact problem. His solution was that he want to the Apple Store and stole some rubber feet without the employees knowing. If you are brave enough you could go take some. Or you can always beg an Apple Store employee for some...:)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by applemacdude
My friend had the same exact problem. His solution was that he want to the Apple Store and stole some rubber feet without the employees knowing. If you are brave enough you could go take some. Or you can always beg an Apple Store employee for some...:)

kind of overkill in this case, my understanding is that the Apple Store employees have tons of feet for iBooks/PBs, they give them away to anyone that asks...

pnw

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: powerbook feet

Originally posted by hugemullens
anybody know where i could rubber feet for a 12 inch powerbook? 2 of mine have come off and i cant find one. thanks.

You're not gonna like what I have to tell you. I recently lost all four of mine, 2 and then the other 2 a week later. Never rough with my machine, I really baby it. It's clear they just aren't very good. Well, anyway I called AppleCare and I told them what happened and asked if I could get some new feet. They said sure....for $610. Not kidding. They said that they cannot replace just the feet with these models and they need to replace the whole bottom casing. I asked for a supervisor, and then a manager. Both told me the same. I wish I had taped the conversation. I was losing it. So I went to the Apple Store, same deal. If you check out the Usage forum for the 12" over at Apple's website you'll see many more people who are going through the same mess. It's a joke and a shame, and Apple should be ashamed of themselves for this. I went to Home Depot and bought some little stick-on felt pads that are just the right size. They cost 18 cents for all four. I'm gonna buy myslef something nice with the $609.82 I have left over, thank you very much.:rolleyes:
Good Luck.

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
You have got to be kidding!

That is not true because I had a 12" inch and lost two of the feet very quickly and had an additional battery problem and had them fixed for free. I have even seen an employee giving someone a page of those feet. It is just such a crappy problem having your computer all wobbley. Just go to the store. I think I still have the two feet that fell off but I could not glue them back on. I now have a 17" and had it for about the same period of time and they have not fallen off. I have never heard someone with the 17" complain about it. The replacement feet just come with a sticky side so I don't know what they are talking about the case. Tell them if it costs $600 bucks then you feel bad for them since it is still under warranty for one year.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: You have got to be kidding!

Originally posted by bellis1
That is not true because I had a 12" inch and lost two of the feet very quickly and had an additional battery problem and had them fixed for free. I have even seen an employee giving someone a page of those feet. It is just such a crappy problem having your computer all wobbley. Just go to the store. I think I still have the two feet that fell off but I could not glue them back on. I now have a 17" and had it for about the same period of time and they have not fallen off. I have never heard someone with the 17" complain about it. The replacement feet just come with a sticky side so I don't know what they are talking about the case. Tell them if it costs $600 bucks then you feel bad for them since it is still under warranty for one year.

wow, well i'm glad to hear that. when i lost mine i don't think these sticky ones you're referring to were available yet. the original feet on the 12" PowerBook did not use any glue at all, just a flimsy little plug into a tiny hole that is basically impossible to get back in. and i mentioned that my machine was still very much under warranty and they stated that the rubber feet are not covered under warranty. i think Apple likes to invent the rules as they go sometimes. i'm gonna head to the Apple Store tomorrow and see if they have any. and i'll post on the Apple board incase they haven't heard anything yet. this should make a lot annoyed people feel better. thanks.

thebossisback

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2003
Providence, RI
tjwett, i agree with what you said about apple making up rules as they go. I called apple up to replace my feet and they said I would have to send in the machine, but I would have to pay for shipping. So I called them again and they said I would have to pay for the feet and for shipping. Then i alled them again and they said they would send me free feet. their service seems to be very inconsistent

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by übergeek
no...it's "Go To the Apple Store before you call AppleCare"

not all of us live within a few minutes of like 5 applestores, The closest one is like 45 minutes from me, and I feel lucky to have one that close. It still a pain to have an hour and a half travel time, for little feet. This is not a solution for everyone by any means.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
LOL. SO many people had aproblem with this? Amazing.
I bought Acer laptop 5+ years ago for $1200 that was working on whopping 266Mhz. I took it everywhere and never had a problem like feet falling off lol. It froze all the time, but feet didn't fall off. HEHE. So I guess Acer can beat apple at something :)

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
rubber buggy baby bumpers.:p

thankfully i've had no issues with feet on either of my 2 laptops. i had a pismo that lost 2 feet almost as soon as i unwrapped it. no amount of glue would keep those buggeers on.

alphaq619

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2003
Bay Area
I too, have lost all 4 feet on my 12" but fortunately, I have recovered all 4. What is the best way for me to reattach them? Super glue? Or should I go to an Apple Store to have them reattached? Please help, I'm tired of my Powerbook sliding all over the place.

jawn

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2003
I just called the Apple store near me. I'm lucky enough to be in LA so there are like 100 stores close by. Anyway, they said to bring the powerbook in and they will hook me up with some replacement feet with self adhesive.
Another nice trick that I have done that I recommend (with new feet or the ones the fell off) is to super glue them on. I did this with one of the original feet and it's not going anywhere now. I plan to super glue all of the feet on once I get some replacements.
If you do not live near an Apple store and still need feet, go to this site, they are the cheapest I've seen if you want the real deal feet.
http://www.caldrives.com/Accessories/Accessories.shtml
You could get some felt or other stuff but they look kinda crappy. So try this store.
Good luck.

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by jawn
I just called the Apple store near me. I'm lucky enough to be in LA so there are like 100 stores close by. Anyway, they said to bring the powerbook in and they will hook me up with some replacement feet with self adhesive.
Another nice trick that I have done that I recommend (with new feet or the ones the fell off) is to super glue them on. I did this with one of the original feet and it's not going anywhere now. I plan to super glue all of the feet on once I get some replacements.
If you do not live near an Apple store and still need feet, go to this site, they are the cheapest I've seen if you want the real deal feet.
http://www.caldrives.com/Accessories/Accessories.shtml
You could get some felt or other stuff but they look kinda crappy. So try this store.
Good luck.

My local Apple store did not give me just the feet. They had me bring the powerbook in and *they* did the super glue.

grafit

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2003
Wales - UK
17" Powerbook Feet

Yep, I have a 17" Powerbook and all the feet apart from one have come off. I have resorted to a square of electrical insulation tape over the feet - looks horrible, but stops the base getting scratched. Thanks for the link to California Drives - may buy a few spare ones, then look at supergluing the feet on. I have a 15" TiBook, and the feet wore down on that model! I resorted to using the erasers from the end of propelling pencils to sort that model out!

I also have a 12" powerbook, and that is now showing signs of shedding its feet!

Please Apple - we love you, but I think you are letting us down on these feet!

I had a first-run 12" Powerbook too (until I got rid of it for a G5! ^_^), and I had all four feet literally fall off all at the same time. I think what had happened is that the heat from the machine has caused the plastic on my desk to warp and slightly adhere to the rubber feet. So, when I pulled the computer off the desk, the feet stayed behind, with an awful snapping sound. It seems, unlike the iBooks, that the feet don't just "go back on". I used to work at an Apple authorized service centre, and so I know people there, and so they wouldn't BS me. They told me that to replace the feet meant removing the whole bottom of the machine and replacing the feet from the "inside" side of the tray. Apparently they were never supposed to come off (whereas you need to remove iBook feet to open the thing, thus they go back on when you're done, just like a PS2), and so pose a problem as they DON'T go back on from the outside. AT ALL. Pretty much if they fall off, you're screwed unless you want to send in your PB for a warranty repair or something. There is no easy, proper fix for this problem.

Needless to say, I was dismayed as well. I went back home determined to replace the feet myself. I tried superglue, model-airplane glue, hot glue and eventually just normal white glue. It seems that the normal stuff works the best! Nothing else would bond to both the rubber and the plastic dimples where the feet go. After I had them glued on, I also put strips of tape over EVERY foot, to prevent the same thing from happening again.

In the interim tho, I found that placing a coaster (i.e. a burned-up CD, AOL cd, or other crap) under the Powerbook makes a quick fix for a wobbly foot-less PB. It also allowed the hot left side of it to cool off, and since the PB is balanced pretty well, it didn't tip over when in use.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Are you kidding?

It's really funny, almost everytime I come to see what's on macrumors.com (Early in the morning and Evenings) there is something related on what I wanted to ask or whatever was happening to me... the last week I got one foot of my PB12" (Common Element) off, I did a lot and I could stick it again in that little hole, today just dragging the PB on the table it went off and had to paste it, they should change the way those feet come and give spare feet, how much is that? sure less than 5 cents and thinking they are not apple labeled is too much...

My 1 cent, the other one is for my PB foot ;)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
My iBook foot fell off like the first day I had my iBook when somebody went, "whoa, cool computer, i better drag it four feet across a sticky wooden desk so I can see it." Foot pops off. Pops back on. I think that what I have heard is this: The iBook feet are sold cheaply because they have screws beneath them, and thus are intended to be able to be removed, to service the computer. The Powerbook feet are not intended to be removed, so Apple is sketchy about what they want to do in the way of fixing them.

Oh, they know what to do, it's just a pain in the ass to go and do it. Do you really want to remove half the casing on your PBG4 just to replace three tiny feet? (the fourth is replaced with a new battery) It doesn't seem worth it to me, if I'd have known this was going to happen, I would have been WAY more careful with my PB feet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.