PDA

View Full Version : Switched My Mom

Horrortaxi
Aug 5, 2003, 08:35 PM
I took away my mom's P3 500 on XP and gave her a strawberry iMac 333 w/288MB and Jaguar. She had no idea I was going to do this. She just came home and saw the iMac set up and running. She didn't freak, which is a good first step. She asked what it is and I told her she now owns a Mac. She seemed to like that idea. She's 74 and has used Windows 98 and XP for about 5 years. She's not particularly proficient. I gave her a couple hours of training on Sunday but have no word yet on how she's getting along with the iMac. Maybe no news is good news. When the PC misbehaved she'd always call me for tech support.

stylum
Aug 5, 2003, 09:17 PM
that is so cool of your mother being the age she is.
i wish i could have had the chance to do that on ANY computer, with my mother...
congrats to her :)

QCassidy352
Aug 5, 2003, 10:26 PM
that machine must be pretty slow with jag... I hope she doesn't get frustrated with the speed and come to dislike macs as a result.

Horrortaxi
Aug 5, 2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
that machine must be pretty slow with jag... I hope she doesn't get frustrated with the speed and come to dislike macs as a result.

It's not too bad. I notice it being slow but I'm usually using a computer with dual 1ghz G4s and over a gig of RAM. It was quite slow rotating images in iPhoto, but to her it might not seem that slow--and it's not something she's likely to do often anyway. Her main computer use is email, web, word processing and scaninning (she uses the scanner/printer as a zerox machine). All of those things go just fine on the iMac--even by my standards.

Ease of use is the big issue. She was always intimidated and confused by Windows and never used her computer anywhere near its potential. I'm hoping that all gets better now.

MacBoyX
Aug 6, 2003, 02:36 PM
I switched my grandmother...84 years old.

Trashed her P.O.S. Compaq running Win98. She bought an eMac, Cannon Digital Cam, Scanner and Printer. She hasn't called once for help...

Though she iChats with me like crazy about how much she likes the eMac...her favorite feature...the ZOOM. She can zoom in on anything she can't see...

my favorite quote (she uses it constantly)..."wow..my other computer couldn't do that..."

MacBoyX

MacFan25
Aug 6, 2003, 02:45 PM
Congratulations! I hope that she likes it.

It sounds like a good fit for what she's going to do with it. :)

Horrortaxi
Aug 6, 2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by MacBoyX
her favorite feature...the ZOOM. She can zoom in on anything she can't see...

Holy crap! Tell me about the zoom. We spend some time making fonts bigger but I didn't know it would zoom. I think she needs to know about that.

Horrortaxi
Aug 18, 2003, 10:48 AM
Mom's been using her iMac for 2 weeks now. I received 1 email about how she can't send email (yeah, I realize that makes no sense) but no phone calls. Phone calls mean something very bad has happened. The worst thing that's happened is that while watching an iPhoto slideshow she changed her desktop and screen saver to pictures from the slideshow. I'm not sure how you accidently do that, but the important thing is that she figured out how to put them back. She was ticked because she goofed it up, but I was happy because she figured out how to fix it by herself.

jMc
Aug 18, 2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
Holy crap! Tell me about the zoom. We spend some time making fonts bigger but I didn't know it would zoom. I think she needs to know about that.

You'll find the Zoom preferneces in the Universal Access prefs pane - you'll need to turn it on...

jx

El Hefe
Aug 29, 2003, 04:46 PM
thats awesome your mom must really like you now :D