Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
What reasons, if any, do we have to expect that the iMacs will be updated by Sept. 20 (last day of Final Cut Express promotion)?

I'm sure they are coming soon and was hoping to take advantage of the Final Cut Express promtion.

Thanks much

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
you could always go on ebay, get a preimiere install CD for 50-75 bucks, and trade it in now, then you get the computer you want and FCE.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by Fender2112
I was hoping for something a bit juicier than "approaching end of cycle". After all this is a rumor site. :)

Are we expecting to see much more than a speed bump, maybe USB 2 or Firewire 800?

as you might notice there haven't been many RUMORS about the iMac yet, hence that articles below it are a bit dull. The problem is most people who can offerd an upper under imac mgith be strecthing the budget to get a g5.....the imac/emac did have dissapointin sales if I remember at the last financial meeting.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
as you might notice there haven't been many RUMORS about the iMac yet, hence that articles below it are a bit dull. The problem is most people who can offerd an upper under imac mgith be strecthing the budget to get a g5.....the imac/emac did have dissapointin sales if I remember at the last financial meeting.

Yep, that's my delima (as stated in another thread). I can get a tricked out iMac or a bare bones G5 for about the same money.

Since this is not something I HAVE to have, I will remain patient. It would be nice to take advantage of the Final Cut Express deal. But I'm not going to jump the gun just to save $150.

I was hoping that maybe folks had heard something about what upgrades the iMac might see. If the Power Books are getting new chips, I assumed the iMac might get one also. If they get a 1.25 or 1.42 G4, I might go with the iMac and hold off until the bugs are worked out of the G5 and Panther.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
iMac sales are down...

I just read on BusinessWeek (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2003/tc2003085_6509_tc112.htm) that Apple's recent financial report showed iMacs sales down 24%

For now, the biggest concern is falling sales of plain old desktop Macs. While the G5, which will sell for more than $2,000, may help regain ground with so-called power users, sales of the six-year-old iMac are flagging with both consumers and educators: Unit sales fell 24% last quarter.

I wonder if Apple has an ace in the hole that no one knows about?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Re: iMac sales are down...

Originally posted by Fender2112
I just read on BusinessWeek (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2003/tc2003085_6509_tc112.htm) that Apple's recent financial report showed iMacs sales down 24%
I wonder if Apple has an ace in the hole that no one knows about?

I think the eMac probably takes more of a chunk out of the iMac sales then the G5 does. The iMac and eMac have just about the same specs except one has a 17" FP and one has a 17" CRT. I would have been interested to see a break out of the iMac and eMac sales. Instead they are chunked together by Apple. Do you think this is because Apple would not want to show that a computer with an outdated CRT and a form factor like the orginal iMac is outselling their high style, everyone needs one machine? I think so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.