Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
hey all. I am editing some footage into a director's reel and seem to have run into some trouble. I sent all of my movies to uncompressed 8bit, @ 720 for my DP to do his reel (he is using Avid).

I then went back and recompressed all then uncompressed into DVCPro HD 720 (most of the original footage was DVC ProHD, but some was HDV and DV). That way all my source footage would be the same and play nice on the timeline. Things seem to work out, but require rendering :)confused:) and after a render all the footage looks like It's running @ 18 FPS or something... (FCP claims it's 29.97 though)

Help?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
If a clip requires rendering when you drop it into the timeline then your clip settings and sequence settings don't match exactly (which they need to). If after a complete render the footage doesn't play back smoothly my first guess is that your storage isn't fast enough to support the codec you are using.

Lethal

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
If a clip requires rendering when you drop it into the timeline then your clip settings and sequence settings don't match exactly (which they need to). If after a complete render the footage doesn't play back smoothly my first guess is that your storage isn't fast enough to support the codec you are using.

Lethal

Oddly, I dropped another clip that is supposedly the same compression and it didn't require rendering and it plays back fine... now I'm really confused. :eek:

The scratch drive is my MBP's internal HDD, which is usually more than fast enough.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Look in the browser window in FCP and see if all the clips have the same info in the "vid rate", "frame size", "compressor", "data rate" "pixel aspect" and "field dominance" columns. Also go Sequence->Settings to see what sequence settings you are using.

I'd strongly suggest moving all your media files onto an external HDD (FW400 is okay but FW800 would be better). Working off the boot drive isn't a good idea and as the HDD gets filled up it's read/write speeds go down.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.