PDA

View Full Version : 8 ways to drive a graphic designer mad

Cleopatra
Aug 17, 2007, 04:02 AM
This is so true :D

http://groy82.blogspot.com/2007/03/8-ways-to-drive-graphic-designer-mad.html

Mitthrawnuruodo
Aug 17, 2007, 04:03 AM
If the graphic designer chooses Helvetica for a font, ask for Arial. If he chooses Arial, ask for Comic Sans. If he chooses Comic Sans, he's already half-insane, so your job's half done.

He-he-he...

I'm using Comic Sans for a website I'm developing right now... :D

irmongoose
Aug 17, 2007, 04:42 AM
Classic! I wonder how many of those he's actually encountered... gives me the chills just to think about it. :eek:

irmongoose

Nermal
Aug 17, 2007, 04:54 AM
It goes both ways, I've had designers give me layout images for a website in PDF.

Ish
Aug 17, 2007, 07:07 AM
Bye bye client! Don't call me . . .

You could tell them you don't think you could possibly do their job justice and recommend your nearest rival. :D

i.Feature
Aug 17, 2007, 08:00 AM
Classic! I wonder how many of those he's actually encountered... gives me the chills just to think about it. :eek:

irmongoose

I've encountered pretty much every one. It really does hurt the brain.

pooky
Aug 17, 2007, 09:20 AM
How come every time I try to look at a page from blogspot.com the server doesn't respond. Going to www.blogspot.com works fine, but trying to look at a link like this never works.

wheezy
Aug 17, 2007, 11:49 AM
Oh c'mon, I love getting website ideas done in Word, it's very professional. It has to be if it was made in Microsoft Office Professional, right? It must.

Okay yeah, this guy hits it right on the head. It's very true.

kitki83
Aug 17, 2007, 11:52 AM
*Teardrop*

I feel the love.

bluetooth
Aug 17, 2007, 10:41 PM
That was a good read...and all of it, sad but true. :rolleyes:

leekohler
Aug 18, 2007, 03:12 AM
That was a good read...and all of it, sad but true. :rolleyes:

It is true. The sad thing is- even in this day and age, most people don't know ***** about computers or digital files. I have given a few clients the boot for a lot of these things, but I'll never quit. :) I just go find smarter clients. I had one who I think did all 8 of those things. I basically told them where they could go after the job was done and I got my cash.

Jim Campbell
Aug 18, 2007, 06:47 PM
Okay yeah, this guy hits it right on the head. It's very true.

In a nutshell, all the reasons why I relegated design work to "hobby" status and actively pursued a different direction as my 'main' career.

Thanks to the OP for the link.

Cheers!

Jim

vicious7
Aug 18, 2007, 10:22 PM
You should hear what the client side have to say about designers. I guess the each side has something to say about the other. Such is life.

Royale w/cheese
Aug 19, 2007, 02:50 AM
It goes both ways, I've had designers give me layout images for a website in PDF.

Ha, Monday afternoon was spent on this.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 20, 2007, 01:14 AM
Funny and so true....

That's why I walked away from trying to redesign a look for this (http://praiserating.com.au/) web abomination

werther
Aug 21, 2007, 08:25 AM
That's why I walked away from trying to redesign a look for this web abomination

damn that hurt my eyes.

MagicWok
Aug 21, 2007, 08:49 AM
Powerpoint is pure evil. I hate it.:mad:

Mr. Anderson
Aug 21, 2007, 08:56 AM
Powerpoint is pure evil. I hate it.:mad:

I've spent more time messing with my animations/movies/artwork to get them to work right in Powerpoint its scary. And I don't even want to get into having to use other peoples' Powerpoints....

It got so bad that when ever I did power point stuff, I'd do all the graphics in photoshop, illustrator, etc. and load images into the slides - it was the only way to get things to look the way I needed them.

Bleh,

D

Jim Campbell
Aug 21, 2007, 09:03 AM

Open it in Illustrator. It should be editable.

This used to work with Quark EPSs, but it's been so long since I encountered one that I couldn't tell you if it still does.

In fact, Illustrator was always a very handy tool, since it opens (or opened) .ps Postscript files, meaning that, even with some dicky Windows-only proprietary software, you can always select the generic laser printer driver and write one .ps file per page, open 'em in Illustrator, do what you need to do with them, save them as proper EPSs and insert them into a Quark or InDesign document.

Cheers

Jim

iBlue
Aug 21, 2007, 09:12 AM
That was hilarious... in the most cruel way. :D

ezzie
Aug 21, 2007, 09:20 AM
i thoroughly enjoyed that...and boy, is it true. i've got a client right now that seems to be gaslighting me in this manner.

i especially liked the bits about graphic designers being responsible for, well....9-11 and breast cancer. :p

LimeiBook86
Aug 21, 2007, 02:14 PM
That was hilarious... in the most cruel way. :D

Haha, yes it was. Every word of it. It's true at the end, about giving up. You just want it to be over and move on. :p Purple? Sure! :D

hsotnicaM
Aug 21, 2007, 09:40 PM
You had me at #1! ROFL!

HiRez
Aug 22, 2007, 12:10 AM
Hilarious but hard to read because it's so true. I had a client (within my own company) pull a #5 on me just this morning...ugh.

AlexisV
Aug 22, 2007, 12:56 PM
9.) Insist that web addresses include capitals so the person reading it can see what it's meant to say.

e.g. www.maizemaze.com should be WWW.MaizeMaze.com

GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR

spawn135
Aug 22, 2007, 01:05 PM
painfully funny. love it!

G.Kirby
Aug 22, 2007, 03:19 PM
We find it funny because we know it to be true :D

bld44
Aug 22, 2007, 11:24 PM
That accurately summed up my average work week.

prs986
Aug 23, 2007, 12:49 PM
That accurately summed up my average work week.

That sums up every day at work for me! And to add to the chaos I have to use a PC......:( I work for a company that instead of owning each and everyone of it's stores, it franchises out its stores.......so every franchise wants it their way.......oh the agony....pure agony........i've had everyone of those 8 things happen to me. mostly in one day!