Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
I took some pictures last weekend where, at the time, I thought were turning out really well. Once I got home and looked at the enlarged version I noticed that some of my would-be faves have sun spots on them. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of said spots? I'm posting examples of what I'm dealing with (the spot annoyance occurs in varying degrees).

Attachments

• IMGP2229.JPG
    IMGP2229.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 943
  • IMGP2241.JPG
    IMGP2241.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 933

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
There are ways to avoid this problem while shooting but at this point after it's all said and done the best you can do is maybe make it black and white?(if you don't have a lot of photoshop skill)

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Bummer. I'm very much an amateur when it comes to photoshopping. So how do you recommend avoiding this in the future? It probably doesn't matter, but I'm using a Pentax K100D with a UV Filter.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Tutorial on removing lens flare using Photoshop, but your photos are a bit more complicated since the flare is on the face. The Healing/clone tool plus a lot of elbow grease is probably your best bet. Lens flare is caused by shooting into bright lights. Using a lens hood will help reduce, but not eliminate, the problem.

Lethal

MacUserSince87

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Northern Virginia, USA
Bummer. I'm very much an amateur when it comes to photoshopping. So how do you recommend avoiding this in the future? It probably doesn't matter, but I'm using a Pentax K100D with a UV Filter.

What you are seeing are the internal reflections from the aperture opening reflected off the internal elements of the lens caused by the direct rays of the sun hitting the inside of the lens barrel and aperture leaves when they close during the capture of the image. To avoid them:

1) Use a lens shade on the lens -- always a good idea.

2) Avoid pointing the camera up towards the sun when it is directly behind the subject. Keep the camera slightly above the subject pointing down (a more flattering view of the face that way too).

They can be removed in some cases in Photoshop with cloning, but not easily when they fall over areas with detail like eyes.

Chuck Gardner
Photo and Lighting Tutorials: http://super.nova.org/DPR/

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
In the future:

1) Get a lens hood. This will help reduce flare as said.

2) If you are shooting into the sun or close to it, remove your UV filter. These increase the flare produced.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Best way to reduce lens flare...

(1) As said before... lens hood
(2) Don't shoot into the sun if possible
(3) Hold hand above lens but not in shot
(4) Don't shoot into the sun
(5) Get someone to hold something over lens
(6) Don't shoot into the sun

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
LOL.... Okay... so don't shoot into the sun and get a hood. Got it. Thanks for all the info, folks!

I was trying to shoot at that particular angle because I particularly liked the background and shooting down wouldn't have gotten it. Oh, well. Lesson learned.

MacUserSince87

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Northern Virginia, USA
LOL.... Okay... so don't shoot into the sun and get a hood. Got it. Thanks for all the info, folks!

I was trying to shoot at that particular angle because I particularly liked the background and shooting down wouldn't have gotten it. Oh, well. Lesson learned.

Oh you must be referring to the building sticking out the kids head like the antenna from some 1930's depiction of an alien in the first shot? In that case what do a few sun spots matter:)

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
The actual building itself is a pretty one. I obviously couldn't get the right angle or lighting with both her and it in it to capture that. What can I say? I'm very much an amateur/beginner. :shrug: We got the camera for the hubby, but recently I've tried taking a stab at figuring it out, and trying to see what works. It'll come eventually...maybe.... :) I may try to do a couple camera/photo clubs with him to see if I can actually pick up a thing or two.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
It's the Mormon DC Temple.....

Edit: Good eye, skunk.

Attachments

• DCTemple-c.jpg
    DCTemple-c.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 16,892

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
OH. Okay, I was trying to figure out which city had 4 weird looking chrysler buildings. I didn't think it could be one building.

Thanks

EDIT: Yeah, mormon temples get pretty fancy. I saw one in St. George Utah. :eek: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.