PDA

View Full Version : Sun exec: 'Practically every' employee owns a Mac

MacBytes
Aug 6, 2003, 10:54 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Sun exec: 'Practically every' employee owns a Mac (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/08/06/sun/)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

jettredmont
Aug 6, 2003, 03:24 PM
Nothing of real significance, but eWeek is running a story (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1210910,00.asp) which includes the blurb (bottom of the first page):

As for the Apple connection, Schwartz said that the practically every Sun employee owns an Apple desktop at home. "We would love to partner with Apple,' he said. "They're everyone's favorite company, and iTunes is really cool."

1) "The Apple Connection"? This seems odd given the context (talking about a new packaging of Gnome+Mozilla+StarOffice as a premium desktop bundle for half of "whatever Microsoft's lowest price is".

2) Every Sun employee has an Apple desktop at home? That's rather interesting.

3) "We would love to partner with Apple" ... revive the long-running rumors (remember, though, he said "partner", not "buy" or "merge with", so you'll have to at least update the rumors ...)

4) "iTunes is really cool" ... Hmmmm ... maybe there is a partnership there, like bringing iTunes to Linux/Solaris too?

I dunno, just fodder for the grist mill ...

Eniregnat
Aug 6, 2003, 03:45 PM
This doesn’t really seem that odd, mostly because I know people that use Spark stations. They all seem to love Macs, partly because of the power, partly because of the robustness of the OS, and partly because a number of applications that run Solaris native are also ported to the Mac or have counterparts in the Mac world. Most of the professionals I know that use Sun computers prefer them because of the power, and some do take their simpler projects home to work on them. (These people rarely sleep or go home. Why they would want to take their work home with them is a mystery to me.)

It’s kind of like the Cray/Mac connection. Apple use a Cray to help design the Mac and Cray used Macs to partially design their next Cray. I doubt that Cray any of Cray’s employees had Crays at home, just as I doubt that most Sun employees go home to a mini-Spark or a Sun-Ray with a really good WAN connection.

NavyIntel007
Aug 6, 2003, 05:58 PM
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1210889,00.asp

Apparently every Sun employee has a mac at home and Sun "want's to partner" with Apple. Is Sun looking for a buyer? Hypothetically, this could be a beautiful match. Solaris is a robust system and could have some wonderful additions to the Mac platform especially in the server arena. Additionally StarOffice could bring AppleWorks back on the scene.

Perhaps even allow Sun to produce Mac clones using OS X and Sun sharing the Solaris Code along with producing a completed StarOffice for mac without a buyout.

Thoughts anyone?

NavyIntel007
Aug 6, 2003, 06:22 PM
Ok, definitely need to search before posting.

Anyway...

I think that Sun may be asking for a buyer. I'm still sticking to this being a great thing for both sides.

edit: or a port for iTunes and ipod compatability.

Eniregnat
Aug 7, 2003, 11:33 AM
Apple certainly could dip into its reserves to purchase Sun.
The combination of the two companies might put Apple back as top dog in the graphics world. Sun has recently dropped their "home desktop systems" and Apple has just that. Sun's system architecture could be a great benefit to Apple. The merger of the two markets might help Apple hold its ground against the WinTell world

NavyIntel007
Aug 7, 2003, 01:39 PM
I wonder what Sun would cost? I'd say Apple and Sun are about the same size although Sun's stock is floating around $3/share.

If a merger took place, I think both companies would remain separate. I don't know much about the UltraSparc processors but they must be relatively competitive. If anything Apple could license the design to IBM to possibly add whatever benefits the UltraSparc has to the future 9x0 PowerPC. And even create an UltraSparc with an Altivec unit on it.

We'd have the latest and greatest Java support.

StarOffice...

Solaris advantages inputted into OS X.
OS X advantages put into Solaris.

HEY STEVE!!!! CRACK THAT WALLET OPEN MAN!!!

Sayhey
Aug 7, 2003, 02:36 PM
Snapple, it's the Bill Joy connection. Now that Apple turned to BSD and Joy, a top guy at Sun, was one of the "heavies" in the history of BSD it seems a natural partnership. Unfortunately, as I said in the other thread on this topic, Apple doesn't have the resources to buy out Sun. You need Microsoft kinda money to do that.

NavyIntel007
Aug 7, 2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Sayhey
Snapple, it's the Bill Joy connection. Now that Apple turned to BSD and Joy, a top guy at Sun, was one of the "heavies" in the history of BSD it seems a natural partnership. Unfortunately, as I said in the other thread on this topic, Apple doesn't have the resources to buy out Sun. You need Microsoft kinda money to do that.

How about a mutual merger?

Sayhey
Aug 7, 2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
How about a mutual merger?

Ok by me but assuming the financials could be worked out, how do McNealy and Jobs work together? Something tells me one would have to go and I don't want it to be Steve.

NavyIntel007
Aug 7, 2003, 10:20 PM
Ok by me but assuming the financials could be worked out, how do McNealy and Jobs work together? Something tells me one would have to go and I don't want it to be Steve.

Simple... McNealy as President of Sun Microsystems Group.

Jobs as President of Apple Computing Group.

Gore as CEO (ROFL)

I think they could share titles of the parent company, the point is to combine resources to create a bigger marketshare and better products. Honestly, Jobs is a much better figurehead than McNealy. McNealy is really a IT guy in an expensive suit. I'm not a zealot, but Jobs is the Jesus of the computer world. Many scoff at him and what he's about; but love him, hate him or don't care, you'll listen to what he says. McNealy, on the other hand, is a better leader, more of a businessman. McNealy also knows the business IT world better than Jobs and would know the best ways to get their attention. Both men could function together without ego... But that's the real question. I'd love to see it though.

Sayhey
Aug 7, 2003, 10:29 PM
Simple... McNealy as President of Sun Microsystems Group.

Jobs as President of Apple Computing Group.

Gore as CEO (ROFL)

I think they could share titles of the parent company, the point is to combine resources to create a bigger marketshare and better products. Honestly, Jobs is a much better figurehead than McNealy. McNealy is really a IT guy in an expensive suit. I'm not a zealot, but Jobs is the Jesus of the computer world. Many scoff at him and what he's about; but love him, hate him or don't care, you'll listen to what he says. McNealy, on the other hand, is a better leader, more of a businessman. McNealy also knows the business IT world better than Jobs and would know the best ways to get their attention. Both men could function together without ego... But that's the real question. I'd love to see it though.

Would the "rolling on the floor laughing" have to be read out everytime Al was introduced?

You've convinced me - now just convince Steve and Scott.

NavyIntel007
Aug 7, 2003, 10:35 PM
Gore is a little boring to be doing keynotes.

I'd love to... have their numbers?

Sayhey
Aug 8, 2003, 01:25 AM
Gore is a little boring to be doing keynotes.

I'd love to... have their numbers?

Even though I live a lot closer to them than you, I don't seem to have their direct lines listed in my address book. I'm sure it was a oversight on both of their parts and the next time I bump into either one I'll get a number to pass along to you. ;)

NavyIntel007
Aug 8, 2003, 08:25 AM
Even though I live a lot closer to them than you, I don't seem to have their direct lines listed in my address book. I'm sure it was a oversight on both of their parts and the next time I bump into either one I'll get a number to pass along to you. ;)

You probably better just tell them yourself. By the time you get me the number, who knows where I'll be... Guam?

Sayhey
Aug 8, 2003, 01:19 PM
You probably better just tell them yourself. By the time you get me the number, who knows where I'll be... Guam?

You know, now that I think of it, Guam might be closer in some sense than I am from the circles that those two run in. Last I heard, Jobs had a huge mansion down in Atherton (Hillsbourgh?) which is a little removed from the social circles of someone who has a small apartment in the City.

Now given your psuedonym and your possible destination, you may have all kinds of resouces to get numbers that are not avalible to us civilians. :cool:

NavyIntel007
Aug 8, 2003, 02:08 PM
You know, now that I think of it, Guam might be closer in some sense than I am from the circles that those two run in. Last I heard, Jobs had a huge mansion down in Atherton (Hillsbourgh?) which is a little removed from the social circles of someone who has a small apartment in the City.

Now given your psuedonym and your possible destination, you may have all kinds of resouces to get numbers that are not avalible to us civilians. :cool:

You'd think, but most of that information is need to know only...

Sayhey
Aug 8, 2003, 02:24 PM
You'd think, but most of that information is need to know only...

LOL, you mean the Navy frowns on using intelligence for personal reasons? I will sleep more soundly tonight.

NavyIntel007
Aug 8, 2003, 02:28 PM
LOL, you mean the Navy frowns on using intelligence for personal reasons? I will sleep more soundly tonight.

I understand what you're saying but look at it the other way. Is there any reason why myself and a few choice others should know everything or have free access to any records or files on you that I wanted? The ACLU would be on a rampage.

Sayhey
Aug 8, 2003, 03:04 PM
I understand what you're saying but look at it the other way. Is there any reason why myself and a few choice others should know everything or have free access to any records or files on you that I wanted? The ACLU would be on a rampage.

Sorry, the tone didn't get through - I would be on the rampage along with the ACLU.