Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
Currently, I own a 15" PB 1GHz with 1GB RAM. I have managed to persuade my dad to buy a new laptop for my bro (he had a compaq), as it was getting dated. I recommended the Mac as it's great for multimedia and this would help him a fair bit in school. He has now given me permission to buy any mac (laptop) I choose. My question is, should I go ahead and buy the 17" as I already have the 15" (my bro wants the 15" but he has offered that if I want the 17", he would buy the 17", give it to me, and take my PB as my PB is less than a year old). What advantages does the 17" have over the 15"? For current 17" owners, is it much heavier than a 15"? I would have to lug my laptop around quite a bit, to uni and back home. I also fly quite often and would like to take my PB with me!
I'm currently studying computer science at university and have found the 15" to be perfect. It's just that the 15" is SOON to be outdated and it's just such a pity to buy a brand new PB so near it's "extinction" period, no offence to anyone! Help appreciated ASAP as I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy the laptop for my bro. MAny ThaNKS!

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Hard to say

Of the current offering of powerbooks, the 17" is the most "up to date". So from a features standpoint, it's the better buy (FW800, Airport Extreme, bluetooth built in).

As far as portability. *I* thought it was too big for me to carry back and forth to work every day. But that's me, some people find it very acceptable. I think for use on a plane, the 15"is about as big as would be really useable.

Do you have the opportunity, before you buy, to go and really check out a 17" up close and personal. I think that's probably the only way you'll know if it works for YOU.

That said, I bought a 15 two weeks ago, along with a new iPod and have really been enjoying the two together...

Maclicious

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Seattle
The only issue you'd have with the 17 inch is that you might have to buy a new pack to carry it. Well, I had an iBook, which is even smaller than the 15 inch, so my trusty old carrying case wasn't up to snuff. The one I ended up buying seems a little overly large and clumsy. I'm sure there are options that I haven't taken the time to ferret out.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
Thanks for the quick reply! In your opinions, do you think the 17" is way to heavy to carry around, i.e. like to uni and back. Is it much heavier than the 15"? plutnicki, I'll have the chance to have a look at the 17" up close and personal tomorrow. It's just that, I'm scared that I would get too absorbed into the 17" features that at that moment in time, nothing will stop me from buying it and later regrets of it being too heavy, i.e. you think its not too heavy to carry around in the shop, but when the time comes to lug it around, it is really heavy.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Weight

It's so hard to say. It's what, about a pound, pound and a half heavier than your 15" Powerbook? Will you even notice...

You could do a test, take your PowerBook in the bag you use today, load it up like you normally would, then throw in 2 pounds of extra weight. Rocks, 2 pounds of ground beef, whatever, see if you notice the difference...

If weight is your only concern (moreso than physical size), I don't think an extra pound would be even noticeable...

Good luck.

...Jim

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
I just bought a 17.

It's awesome. I'd been holding out for the new Aluminum books be we all know how that's been going....

It's not too heavy to carry around at all. you can't really manhandle it like you would the 15". You have to be a bit more careful because of the size, but other than that it's great. I ordered a new bigger messenger bag to carry it. Can't wait til it gets here.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
Am very tempted to go with the 17" simply because I already have a 15" in the house and coz it's newer etc with the MASSIVE screen. Don't get me wrong, if the new 15" were out today, I would get one, due to portability reasons. I just don't see any worth getting an outdated version just months before the release of the 15 alubook. Argh! Is there any difference in performance bet the 15" and 17"?

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
the 17" should be a little faster, since it has the L2 & L3 cache, right? does it not also have the faster bus?

oh! and DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/100

vs

512MB SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/66

the better video card would help too...

the more and more I see that I could work better (working in Architecture) I 'll probably go with the 17"

the screen is just that much better for this purpose, that or go with a 15" and have a flat screen connected

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
First, let me thank all you people for you invaluable information. To inform you, I have purchased the 17" laptop (very excited, it's coming to my house tomorrow). I was swayed by the huge screen. In comparison, it made my 15" (where im typing from now) look small. After seeing the laptop in my bro's own eyes, he is still deciding whether to keep it, :(
An interesting thing was that they actually are discontinuing the 15" 1GHz Ti book. Think they are trying to clear their store of all the 15" to make way for the new 15" (this was not an official store, just a reseller).
Will tell you more about the 17" when i finally get it. Thanks again

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by hui__lim
First, let me thank all you people for you invaluable information. To inform you, I have purchased the 17" laptop (very excited, it's coming to my house tomorrow). I was swayed by the huge screen. In comparison, it made my 15" (where im typing from now) look small. After seeing the laptop in my bro's own eyes, he is still deciding whether to keep it, :(
An interesting thing was that they actually are discontinuing the 15" 1GHz Ti book. Think they are trying to clear their store of all the 15" to make way for the new 15" (this was not an official store, just a reseller).
Will tell you more about the 17" when i finally get it. Thanks again

Cool! Congratulations! You'll definitely love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.