PDA

View Full Version : Is this iBook a good deal?

Papabear
Aug 18, 2007, 11:34 AM
This is the ad for an iBook. Is it a good deal??

"12" Apple iBook G4 laptop for $400. Very nice laptop, silent and slick, works perfectly. It has 21 Months of Apple Care warranty which is transferable.
Specs include 1.33GHz PowerPC G4 Processor, 512MB DDR SDRAM, 40GB HD, 12.1 Screen, Mac OS X version 10.4 Tiger, Airport Extreme Card"

Could I get Final Cut Express put on this thing and with an external HD do some basic editing and then burn it to DVD??

Thanks - I'm new to Macs

Father Jack
Aug 18, 2007, 11:51 AM

"12" Apple iBook G4 laptop for $400. Very nice laptop, silent and slick, works perfectly. It has 21 Months of Apple Care warranty which is transferable.
Specs include 1.33GHz PowerPC G4 Processor, 512MB DDR SDRAM, 40GB HD, 12.1 Screen, Mac OS X version 10.4 Tiger, Airport Extreme Card"

Could I get Final Cut Express put on this thing and with an external HD do some basic editing and then burn it to DVD??

Thanks - I'm new to Macs
The G4 should handle Final Cut Express ok although a little slow.

You will need to check if it is fitted with

A. Super-drive ( which can read and burn CD's and DVD's)

or

B. Combo-drive ( which can read and burn CD's but can only read DVD's )

galstaph
Aug 18, 2007, 10:32 PM
IIRC, all 12" iBooks were combo drives (except a few edu models with cd drives:p)
As for FCE a 40gb drive might be too small, you will want to get an external as well (cheapest is to buy a firewire enclosure for 3.5" drives and get a cheap ide drive). My iBook has a 60gb and I keep filling it up with just various programs leaving 20-25gb free (at least 13gb free helps OSX feel snappy)
Also you would want more RAM, definitely more RAM (up to 1.5GB), and an external display (trust me this is a must, you will not want to run FCE on a 12" display. Although the iBook claims it only mirrors, the 9550 in that model (32mb VRAM) will do extended desktop (via hack) quite well. Clamshell mode is also enabled via hack but not recommended.
Otherwise... 400 is a great deal, I personally would go for trying to find a 12" powerbook if you are looking for the form factor, plus it has a slightly better video card and more VRAM, or finding yourself a 15" powerbook, if you can, would be even better:)

GreatDrok
Aug 19, 2007, 12:07 AM

Thanks - I'm new to Macs

As a laptop it would be fairly reasonable. I would definitely bump the memory up (max is 1.5GB I believe since this looks like one of the last iBook G4s) which means buying a 512MB or 1GB stick but that shouldn't be too expensive although it will make the price less attractive. 512MB isn't really enough. I have an old (really old) iBook G4 and it only has 640MB, fine for browsing the web and basic use but not much more. Also, as it is the 12" model it doesn't have a superdrive, just a combo drive so creating DVDs will require a USB2 DVD burner too.

Realistically, for your needs you should probably either look at getting a refurbed MacBook or an Intel Mac mini if you don't really need portability but make sure you get one with a superdrive and again at least 1GB of RAM. I know its more expensive but the G4 iBook isn't really going to show OS X at its best for video editing.

stainlessliquid
Aug 19, 2007, 02:49 AM
$400 for a 1024x768 display? Bleh. That is a seriously crappy resolution and I would highly recommend not doing any sort of real work on it other than typing. Even web browsing can be a pain in the ass at the horrible resolution these days. The power of the laptop isnt all that bad... but god the resolution... I could never go back to that. Running anything like FCP or Photoshop would be hell.

remmy
Aug 19, 2007, 06:20 AM
I have the larger iBook, 1.2 ghz which i use for various design work including after effects and Final Cut Pro.

You will need a bigger screen for all the windows in final cut and to view the video work, and it is very slow for rendering and exporting. Too slow :mad:

HD is too small all work would be done on external drive

Look for something with a bit more power

skubish
Aug 19, 2007, 06:39 AM
IIRC, all 12" iBooks were combo drives (except a few edu models with cd drives:p)
As for FCE a 40gb drive might be too small, you will want to get an external as well (cheapest is to buy a firewire enclosure for 3.5" drives and get a cheap ide drive). My iBook has a 60gb and I keep filling it up with just various programs leaving 20-25gb free (at least 13gb free helps OSX feel snappy)
Also you would want more RAM, definitely more RAM (up to 1.5GB), and an external display (trust me this is a must, you will not want to run FCE on a 12" display. Although the iBook claims it only mirrors, the 9550 in that model (32mb VRAM) will do extended desktop (via hack) quite well. Clamshell mode is also enabled via hack but not recommended.
Otherwise... 400 is a great deal, I personally would go for trying to find a 12" powerbook if you are looking for the form factor, plus it has a slightly better video card and more VRAM, or finding yourself a 15" powerbook, if you can, would be even better:)
Superdrives were a BTO option.
I would personally look for a used Macbook instead. G4s are getting long in the tooth and for rending CPU is more important than GPU so C2D>>G4.