PDA

View Full Version : G5 PowerMac won't turn on. repairers?

oceanzen
Aug 18, 2007, 12:15 PM
I was on my G5 Powermac, (Dual 2 Ghz, 2.5 GB Ram, 2 internal hard drives)

Closed my apps maybe had Safari open, turned the computer to sleep.

Cam e back an hour later, and the computer was off (no flashing blue light) and it won't turn on again. I checked by holding the power button down for 10 secinds but nothing. I then tried using a different power cable but still nothing. It won't turn on.

Can anyone recommend a good Mac repairer in Brighton UK?

What does the problem sound like to you?

Thanks

oceanzen
Dec 14, 2007, 03:30 PM
Sent it off to Cancom and after the first power supply they tried was faulty they fitted another one.
Got the machine back and there were more problems. Sent it back again and found out that it needed a new Logic board, as 2 of the Ram slots are knackered!

JesterJJZ
Dec 14, 2007, 07:01 PM
Sent it off to Cancom and after the first power supply they tried was faulty they fitted another one.
Got the machine back and there were more problems. Sent it back again and found out that it needed a new Logic board, as 2 of the Ram slots are knackered!

I had similar issues with my G5 tower. First it was the power supply, then the logic board, then the power supply and logic board again, then both processors had to be replaced, then the whole thing $#!+ the bed. Now I'm enjoying the new MacPro that Apple gave me for my troubles. :D

pianodude123
Dec 15, 2007, 10:20 PM
Now I'm enjoying the new MacPro that Apple gave me for my troubles. :D

SHHHHhhhhhhH! you're not supposed to say that! :rolleyes:

faxfan2002
Dec 17, 2007, 04:06 AM
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667804&page=3

This nice chap has just sold this duff unit to some poor guy on another forum.. nice.

oceanzen
Dec 17, 2007, 04:30 AM

This nice chap has just sold this duff unit to some poor guy on another forum.. nice.

I got it working (fixed power supply) all but the ram faults so I sold it for only 300 explaining there was a fault, hence the cheap price.

The Buyer agreed to organize delivery, I said I don't want to post it please come and collect.

He said my partners, business courier can deliver it cheap. That courier must have literally thrown the G5 into the back of the van as by the time it got to him it was completely mangled, buckled and broken.

He refused to claim on the insurance, insisted it must have already been broken (even though I did say come and collect it and check out the machine yourself).

He couldn't or wouldn't claim the insurance from the dodgy courier and then expected Me to give him a refund!

If he had picked it up he would have found the G5 in exactly the condition I advertised it.
I spoke to a legal consumer rights adviser, and they said He should claim on the insurance, as it broke whilst in His responsibility (he organised the dodgy courier)

This has been the worst sale I have ever been through, and the seller has been rude, aggressive and threatening. We even had to call the police after he called and spoke to someone in my flat. He left me a threatening voicemail and the AVforums edited one of his threatening posts before I could read it.

Rather than email me or try and resolve the problem he kept insulting me in the ad thread, claiming I was ignoring him, whilst actually I was emailing him trying to sort it out.

What's more the moderators (who clearly haven't read their own rules) expected me to give him an instant refund, without me having any hope in hell of getting the insurance money since the buyer organized the courier.

In their rules it clearly states that if an item is damaged it should be claimed on the courier insurance, something the buyer refused to do.

I like this forum and don't want to have my name dragged through the dirt here, because a buyer is sore he didn't bother getting the courier insurance.

cal6n
Dec 17, 2007, 02:56 PM

And you came over here and registered just to warn us out of the goodness of your heart, did you?

Reading that thread, it sounds more like one of 2 things occurred:

1. Someone tried to scam him out of his G5 using an already broken machine and didn't like it when his victim wouldn't play along and cough up the "refund".

or

2. The buyer, after being told repeatedly that the machine was for collection only, insisted on using a cheap courier, probably without insurance. He has now found out why the courier was so cheap and doesn't want to accept the financial responsibility for his own poor decisions.

Whether the mods of that site are just plain gullible or whether they're friends of the buyer, they have made a very poor decision in supporting the buyer, in my opinion.

oceanzen
Dec 17, 2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for reading the thread. I'm glad you can see the way the buyer acted.

The AV forums moderators were anything but impartial.

Gokhan
Dec 21, 2007, 08:47 PM
without supporting either party i have read both threads and would say i would have been tempted to buy the G5 from you although I WOULD have definitely come and picked it up thus seeing the machine working. However the op of the av forums thread does say their is no damage to the box so..... either ways its not good for the forum community when things like this happen :rolleyes:

one suggestion if i was you i would have forwarded a repaired and fixed confirmation from cancom to say that it was fixed in your possession also i would definitely not skimped on p & p - DHL,Parcelforce

oceanzen
Dec 22, 2007, 06:10 AM
one suggestion if i was you i would have forwarded a repaired and fixed confirmation from cancom to say that it was fixed in your possession also i would definitely not skimped on p & p - DHL,Parcelforce

I could certainly be able to provide the Cancom receipt but honestly now the guy has stopped "hounding" me I don't want to open up communication again.

I hope you realise it was the buyer who organised the"man with a van" courier and not me. If I had organised the courier them I would have given him a refund and claimed the insurance. When he says there was not a mark onthe box I simply don't trust his word. He has already lied to me, called me a liar and suggest I commit fraud, by claiming the G5 broke at my house so I can claim on my house insurance.

Gokhan
Dec 22, 2007, 07:24 PM
ok fair enough but whatever happened i doubt anyone could have broken the G5 to that extent even you (in the pics at av forums) but yeah like i said i would have picked the damn thing up and be done with it.

sorry to drag it on it just intrigued me