PDA

View Full Version : iSight vs. iBot

MacBoyX
Aug 6, 2003, 12:58 PM
All,

I have a dilemna, I hope someone can help.

Just had a birthday, some good friends gave me a gift cert to the Apple store for 150 bucks, theoretically to buy an iSight, I already own an iBot.

I thought of selling the iBot and getting the iSight. I asked the friends who own an iSight to iChat AV with me so I could see the quality, I hope it was just their network or something but the quality of their iSights were TERRIBLE. Unbearable. Everytime they moved the whole screen was pixelated. We were not running full screen, they were on cable as was I.

My iBot picture was so much clearer and they claimed it was very little pixelation unless I moved very fast...

If you own an iSight or have seen them via iChat is this the way they are? Does anyone else have or has owned both?

I don't usually add this type of stuff to my posts, but I am not lookin for people to tell me the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" lines... I don't know what else to buy at the Apple store and wouldn't mind giving my iBot to my parents so we can iChat AV, if I bought the iSight.

Thanks in advance...

MacBoyX

holy MAC!
Aug 6, 2003, 02:26 PM
well.. i personally like the isight better, because you can clip it to a laptop (well... IF you have a laptop).

but if you have an iBot..... i see NO reason to get an isight.......

and NOTHING to get?????

there is ALWAYS something to get.

from my own shopping list:

i want a set of good speakers: JBL creatures (130)

MacBoyX
Aug 6, 2003, 02:27 PM
I like the styling of the iSight too, but I am talking about quality of the picture...can anyone comment on that?

macboyX

holy MAC!
Aug 6, 2003, 04:21 PM
pixelations and other things are more related to connection speeds than it is to the camera's image quality.

there are video settings allowing you to change the hue, contrast, and etc of the camera...

but if you have an iBot, it is NOT worth is to put out the dough for another camera when the image quality will not be dramatically better

obeygiant
Aug 6, 2003, 04:44 PM
My buddy uses his canon video camera as a web cam and that still looks pixelated. The only advantage he has over my iSight is the zoom, and better White Balance. Like someone said earlier, picture quality at this point in time is related to connection bandwidth and software.

If it comes right down to it however, I think the iSight LOOKS cooler that the iBot.

ching ching.. 2 cents

orb
Aug 6, 2003, 05:01 PM
I have an iSight and an iBot and the picture quality of the iSight is significantly better. Using both with yahoo messenger, people constantly complain about the picture quality and darkness of the iBot, but I've had no complaints about the iSight. (I do tend to me in low light situations)

WIth iChat AV, the iSight wins again with better picture quality and the built-in microphone.

Maybe I got a bad iBot or I have failed to configure it correctly, but I find the iSight to be a signficant step up from the iBot. As a bonus, the iSight looks cooler and can fit in my laptop case. Win and win. :)

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 6, 2003, 05:54 PM
There's always $150 worth of stuff to buy at the Apple Store. If nothing else you can get 600 gumballs from the machine.

Seriously, get three Griffin PowerMates, or half of an iPod. You could get five iTrips or two refurbished AirPort cards. $150 will buy you three keyboards or a nice RAM upgrade. You could even buy one-fifth of an eMac with that!

MacBoyX
Aug 6, 2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
There's always $150 worth of stuff to buy at the Apple Store. If nothing else you can get 600 gumballs from the machine.

Seriously, get three Griffin PowerMates, or half of an iPod. You could get five iTrips or two refurbished AirPort cards. $150 will buy you three keyboards or a nice RAM upgrade. You could even buy one-fifth of an eMac with that!

LOL..my Apple store doesn't have a gumball machine! NO fair! LOL

MacBoyX

will_henderson
Aug 7, 2003, 02:29 PM
Better wait for the iChew.

-Will

ibookin'
Aug 7, 2003, 08:01 PM
I'd like to comment on the iSight (my girlfriend [übergeek] gave me one on Tuesday) image quality a little:

If you view the iSight image through a program like BTV or EvoCam the iSight puts out a BEAUTIFUL picture. The resolution is OK for a camera and great for a webcam, and the white balance is pretty good. I have experienced the pixelation issue that you're talking about when chatting, but I can only assume this is an issue with the upload speed of the connection. übergeek's line only has 128Kbps up, and mine only has 256. I suppose on a faster connection the image quality would be a lot better.

ibookin'
Aug 7, 2003, 08:05 PM
Here's a picture I just took with it. The resolution is 640x480.

Rezet
Aug 8, 2003, 09:25 PM
Or maybe it is caused by you using ibook? :)

loveshismac
Aug 8, 2003, 10:01 PM
Dont forget ichat AV is BETA
i find my picture quality very impressive
auto focus, duel mics. Love it

In low light it gets a little pixelated.
Just turn on a light!