PDA

View Full Version : Mac Repairman's Toolboox...

tjwett
Aug 6, 2003, 03:02 PM
so i'm training right now for Apple Desktop Repair Certification and I was wondering if any techs out there could tell me what are the must-haves for the Mac repair tool kit. all i've seen so far that's really Mac-specific is a kind of
all-in-one tool from OWC. does Apple actually sell their own tools to Mac techs, or is there a good place to get the stuff i'd need? any info would be awesome. thanks.

Rezet
Aug 6, 2003, 03:09 PM
Well, first thing they need to know is how to "fix" laptop feet. LOL
:)

hugemullens
Aug 6, 2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Rezet

screw fixing them, just keep them in stock and a powerbook owner like me would love you!

tjwett
Aug 6, 2003, 03:17 PM

Zing! very funny. :D now, if anyone wants to offer some REAL help...lol.

Powerbook G5
Aug 6, 2003, 03:19 PM
Hmm...if you get me a rubber foot for my PowerBook, I'd help you! :D

tjwett
Aug 6, 2003, 03:19 PM
oh no, i've been threadjacked. damn. also, is it possible to buy factory boot/install disks from Apple for various machines? i'm working on a legacy iMac tomorrow and it would be nice to have the proper disks and whatnot. i'm sure i could run Disk Utility from my 12" PowerBook boot disk but if i need to do a restore i may be screwed. any thoughts?

Rezet
Aug 6, 2003, 03:24 PM
Did you get that apple kit for 299.99? that is supposed to completely prepare you? Do what it says in there I guess. For 300 bucks they better have all the answers.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/techtrain.html

tjwett
Aug 6, 2003, 03:27 PM
Did you get that apple kit for 299.99? that is supposed to completely prepare you? Do what it says in there I guess. For 300 bucks they better have all the answers.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/techtrain.html

i have that but all it has is a CD ROM. maybe i just haven't gotten up to the part about the tools yet.

hugemullens
Aug 6, 2003, 04:00 PM
Well there's the obvious, full antistatic work surface, full selection of screwdrivers, ram, scsi and ide HDD;s, lots of little flippin' screws. As for mac specific items, i have no idea.

cubist
Aug 6, 2003, 04:43 PM
Macs use a lot of small Torx screws. That's the only thing that's unique about them, other than they don't break.

As for the rubber feet, I have some. Who can supply the 15" Aluminum Powerbook to attach them to? :-)

Gus
Aug 6, 2003, 07:48 PM
You can get a complete set of TORX screwdrivers from Radio Shack for about $9.00. I recommend that first.

Regards,
Gus

Kwyjibo
Aug 6, 2003, 08:33 PM
for common things make sure you have like a jeweler's sized set of screwdrivers, like the philips 0 thats used alot on the iBook. Also look at www.radtech.us they sell various tools that are ment to spruce up the mac and may be what your looking for.. also that g4 iMac head tool ....

tjwett
Aug 6, 2003, 08:56 PM
thanks, thanks, and thanks. i'll check all those out.

pseudobrit
Aug 6, 2003, 10:04 PM
Don't forget a paperclip (for reset/CD tray override holes) and a nickel (for occasional laptop batteries.)

In fact, those are the only "tools" I make sure to carry with my iBook.

Other than that, you'll need a good set of screwdrivers -- Phillips, flat, hex, and Torx -- in various sizes, including long reach (or extensions) and some slightly magnetic. Don't leave home without Champs -- or any similiar mutli-tool like I've pictured at the bottom of the page.

Don't forget pliers and needlenose. A static strap is a wise investment. Electrical tape, glue, clamps and compressed air are must-haves.

I'd also carry a small, powerful magnet (about the size of a button) to attach to the shaft of your screwdriver to give the occasional pesky screw that won't line up a little more hold.

jbomber
Aug 6, 2003, 10:10 PM
it's all about the t-6 torx screwdriver. so tiny, so hard to find.

well actually, the mac doesn't use that particular size,but still very hard to find.

tjwett
Aug 7, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
Don't forget a paperclip (for reset/CD tray override holes) and a nickel (for occasional laptop batteries.)

In fact, those are the only "tools" I make sure to carry with my iBook.

Other than that, you'll need a good set of screwdrivers -- Phillips, flat, hex, and Torx -- in various sizes, including long reach (or extensions) and some slightly magnetic. Don't leave home without Champs -- or any similiar mutli-tool like I've pictured at the bottom of the page.

Don't forget pliers and needlenose. A static strap is a wise investment. Electrical tape, glue, clamps and compressed air are must-haves.

I'd also carry a small, powerful magnet (about the size of a button) to attach to the shaft of your screwdriver to give the occasional pesky screw that won't line up a little more hold.

well, i used to be a low-voltage electrician so i have a bunch of stuff already. any Mac-specific stuff anyone can think of? keep the suggestions coming guys. i appreciate it.