Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
When I got my iPod, I quickly learned that it was possible to accidentally delete everything off my iPod, so I found a routine that was tedious, but worked. (switch from manual to syced, sync my ipod, switch back to manual, and take the iPod to other computers without risk). Many commands looked too dangerous. About some commands, I have been told "do not ever do this".

This updated my playing count and rating, but not much else. Too bad, I want everything updated.

But now my iPod is full. I'm going to have to stop synchronizing my whole library. I suppose I could create more playlists, with titles like "everything except Christmas or Children's music).

Manual could work - but without experimenting (after doing a backup), it is not obvious whether I need to delete the songs on my iPod then copy selected playlists on, or what.

Are there any good directions on how to handle libraries that are larger than iPods?

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
I have my nano set to sync a particular playlist (called "iPod nano" :)) which I then manually edit with the songs I want on it.

That way it works like manual but without any of the problems with playcount etc updates.

But if anyone knows of a better system I would be glad to hear of it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.