PDA

View Full Version : verizon dsl

grapes911
Aug 6, 2003, 05:43 PM
I am thinking about getting verizon dsl. Anyone use it? How is it?

dbally
Aug 6, 2003, 09:48 PM
I've had it for almost a year now and been fairly pleased with it. It's faster than cable . . . at least it was with the 1.5 Mbps speed, but I moved down the block and apparently they only have the 768k speed here, go figure. As far as the network goes, I can't say too many bad things. Customer service on the other hand is a completely different issue. I've had to call them for various reasons (many relating to service due to the move). If you like talking to different people everytime you call who know nothing about the previous calls or what your situation is, then Verizon's the company for you. Eventually problems to get resolved though. Overall I'd recommend it though.

tjwett
Aug 7, 2003, 12:15 AM
I had it for a year in Brooklyn and it was awful. It was actually slower than my dial-up at times. This could also have to do with NYC and the sheer amount of users clogging things up. Also, it fried our telephone line, twice! And it WAY expensive, like $50 a month. I moved and got cable again through Optimum Online and it SMOKES. It's incredibly fast and solid. I get 1.5 Mbps consistently, even with 5 machines on the router. Plus my uploads are just as fast. With basic cable it's only an extra $10 a month. I get basic cable, HBO, and broadband for a total of $40 a month.

grapes911
Aug 7, 2003, 07:18 AM
I can get verizon dsl for only $29.95 a month. I think its a good deal. I'm paying $50 something for aol. I hear good things about cable, but no one sells it in my town. anyone who has cable doesn't go much faster than 56k. There are too many people in my town with it or something. I guess I'll try verizon.

cubist
Aug 7, 2003, 08:15 AM
It works great. In the early days (over a year ago) it was down a couple of times for an hour or two, but it's been rock-solid ever since. Once I added a router, it has been beautiful: turn on any machine and go to the net.

Mr. MacPhisto
Aug 9, 2003, 10:41 AM
I've set up Verizon DSL in a couple of places here in Tampa. In my experience, it's very quick and the customer service is excellent. I've been running RoadRunner for about 6 years now and would say that Verizon, at least in this area, is more reliable and runs a better network. Only reason I don't switch is because of how I'm presently set up and I don't want to change my email address and have to figure out who to notify.