PDA

View Full Version : What was the first Rumors site?

MacFan25
Aug 6, 2003, 06:05 PM
What was the first Apple Rumors site? I just started following rumors sites in December of last year, so I really have no clue.

arn
Aug 6, 2003, 06:10 PM
Well, depends on if you count MacWeek.

MacWeek had a rumor column, which may have been the first.

MacOSRumors was first otherwise (from my recollection). As they state today:

"Keep an eye out later this afternoon/evening for much more dirt from the original, best, and by far the most humble Mac rumor site on the planet." -- MacOSRumors

I think "most humble" is an oxymoron.

Anyhow.... MacOSRumors originally didn't even have a domain name. That came later. They've also changed ownership over the years. So, it's not quite the same... I don't think ryan meador is involved anymore.

arn

eyelikeart
Aug 6, 2003, 06:20 PM
I used to peruse macosrumors.com before landing here...back in the day... ;)

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 6, 2003, 06:29 PM
MOSR was the first rumor site i visited, c.2001. their biggest coup was predicting the Cube, right?

Powerbook G5
Aug 6, 2003, 06:39 PM
I don't remember which, but my first rumor site was either Appleinsider or MOSR. I quickly realized MOSR wasn't all that great, but did find AI's forums to be a great asset to me since I was a switcher when I bought my PowerBook in '99 and had no experience with Apple.

MacFan25
Aug 8, 2003, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that macosrumors was one of the first, but wasn't sure.

Durandal7
Aug 10, 2003, 02:08 AM
Of course there was the occasional fit of activity on Usenet before any of them byt that isn't really a site.

Squire
Aug 10, 2003, 10:06 AM
Off topic, but curiosity is engulfing me.

Who's Arn? I know he's the MacRumors god but does that mean owner/creator?

Anyway, Arn, thanks a million. I love the site. It was partially responsible for my first Mac purchase. I promise to become a contributor in the next couple of months.

Cheers,

Squire

P.S. Is their a site FAQ page? I'm also curious about the designations for newbie>regular>6502, etc. ("Newbie" and "regular" are pretty self-explanatory, but 6502?)

Edit: Sorry. Just found the FAQ page.
Edit #2: But I'm still in the dark.

MrMacMan
Aug 10, 2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Squire
Off topic, but curiosity is engulfing me.

Who's Arn? I know he's the MacRumors god but does that mean owner/creator?

Anyway, Arn, thanks a million. I love the site. It was partially responsible for my first Mac purchase. I promise to become a contributor in the next couple of months.

Cheers,

Squire

P.S. Is their a site FAQ page? I'm also curious about the designations for newbie>regular>6502, etc. ("Newbie" and "regular" are pretty self-explanatory, but 6502?)

Edit: Sorry. Just found the FAQ page.
Edit #2: But I'm still in the dark.
Yes, Arn is the owner/creator. He also owns Mac Bytes, and Mac Polls.

He is god. :p

The designations are for post count, if you do a search there are quite a few pages on such.

MacWeek is the best, will be the best, Mac Mag ever.

Ever. It owns.

I could MacWeek as the first 'rumor' for the Mac media center.

peterjhill
Aug 10, 2003, 12:34 PM
Murph Sewall's Vaporware was posted to the info-mac usenet group way back in the early 90's. Before mosaic (and the web) existed. It had all sorts of good gossip. I always like Mac the Knife, who could be the same person posting as the Naked Mole Rat on macedition.com.

[edit] this is my one thousandth post. It took a while, I was at 995-1000 for almost a week.

bennetsaysargh
Aug 10, 2003, 01:22 PM
i remember when mac os x 10.1 came out i went to macworld. that's when i remember following rumor sies and stuff. that's also when i got a little smarter about computers:p

MrMacMan
Aug 11, 2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by peterjhill
[edit] this is my one thousandth post. It took a while, I was at 995-1000 for almost a week.

Good Job man.

And this is some great info on this thread, I never really knew.