PDA

View Full Version : 10.1 Release Candiates

MacRumors
Sep 3, 2001, 05:14 PM
Railhead Design (http://www.railheaddesign.com) posted some info on the current builds of OS X 10.1:

As far as when OS X will be frozen for golden master, it looks as though Apple will have no problems beating the 5G55 “deadline” for having everything complete — and there’s now a very good chance that what Steve will preview on September 7 will, in fact, be the final release version.

The bottom line is this: Apple has been working its butt off to get OS X polished and tweaked to fill the majority of user-requested features. Will it have *everything* we asked for? Of course not, but don’t forget that we will receive our first “big” update after 10.1’s release within six months (possibly even in January).

Other users report that the latest OS X DVD Player App now seems to work very well.

mymemory
Sep 3, 2001, 05:36 PM
I do not trust the experimental OS X, I just got 9.2, it should be more stable but... every time the computer is in sleep mode, the speaker comes with a low frequency tune (250 Hz aprox.) until I wake it up. The funny thing is that the tune comes from the front speaker even the audio out put is plug in to my Mackie console!

I do not know if is because the OS 9.2 or the new Power Mac G4 Firmware Updater.

If OS 9.2 still so weird, do you think I'm going to jump in to OS X just because?

No way, I prefer to deal a bit more with my low frequency tune in 9.2 rather than guessing if is a OS X bug or me.

If is not totally broken... you know the rest.

[Edited by mymemory on 09-04-2001 at 01:23 PM]

Corrector
Sep 3, 2001, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by mymemory
I do not trust the experimental OS X, I just got 9.2, it should be more stable but... every time the computer is in sleep mode, the speaker comes with a low frequency tune (250 Hz aprox.) until I wake it up. The funny thing is that the tune comes from the front speaker even the audio out put is plug in to my Mackie console!

I do not know if is because the OS 9.2 or the new Power Mac G4 Firmware Updater.

If OS 9.2 still so weird, does you think I'm going to jump in to OS X just because?

No way, I prefer to deal a bit more with my low frequency 9.2 rather than guessing if is a OS X bug or me.

[Edited by mymemory on 09-03-2001 at 06:43 PM]

Your post makes no sense.

mymemory
Sep 3, 2001, 07:03 PM
Your post makes no sense. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, if my comment doesn't make some sense, at list can you explain in what way, so we can really find the sense of what you are talking about?

Do I make any sense?

Spiderman
Sep 3, 2001, 08:17 PM
This is just a heads up to all you guys. i have a freind who works in Cupertino at Apple HQ. he told me yesterday that 10.1 went GM last firday. This is a solid source. If he says it's so, then it is. The GM build number he did not know but it is in the 5Hxx Series.

Later.

password is pong
Sep 3, 2001, 09:15 PM

Ok, if my comment doesn't make some sense, at list can you explain in what way, so we can really find the sense of what you are talking about?

Do I make any sense? [/B][/QUOTE]

No you don't, it probably has to do with your bad english.

I am running 5G40 and it is ALOT faster on my G3 400, it is almost useable.

Classic
Sep 3, 2001, 11:08 PM
I've got two quesions:

1. Why is it, that because I have a PCI card installed, my computer is not able to sleep in OS X? Any ideas if that will be fixed in 10.1?

2. I've always appreciated the user feedback that a Mac offers over a PC. As a recent PC convert, I was looking forward to the full Mac usability experience. In particular, I like the sound feedback that is offered in OS 9.2 and earlier. However, OS X seems to have no sound feedback at all except for the alert sound. Any idea why? Is this is an issue that might be addressed in 10.1?

john123
Sep 3, 2001, 11:18 PM
FYI from macosrumors.com....

Oh, and one last thing: a frequently-asked question recently has been what the precise release date of 10.1 will be, now that September has begun. Well, nobody at Apple wants to give a firm date because there are apparently still some pesky bugs left in 10.1 that could delay things a few days, even a week or so...but from what the grapevine has been reporting, it looks like the 13th is the officially targeted release date, with CDs beginning to arrive at retailers and the homes of early pre-order-ees on the 15th. We can hardly wait!

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2001, 02:08 AM
Some (older) PCI cards are not compliant with Apple's power saving mode.
Is the card older (maybe an old SCSI board or something like that)?

qwerty
Sep 4, 2001, 04:45 AM
RE: "and there’s now a very good chance that what Steve will preview on September 7 will, in fact, be the final release version. "

have i missed something here? whats going on on the 7th of september that i dont know about? i was fully expecting to have to wait for the expo to see OSX..

cheers

T'hain Esh Kelch
Sep 4, 2001, 07:04 AM
1. Why is it, that because I have a PCI card installed, my computer is not able to sleep in OS X? Any ideas if that will be fixed in 10.1?

Its a driver problem (If it isnt because of your card being 20 years old or something), wait for an update to come out... I have the same problem with my PCI SCSI card.. :)

And to that guy who talks about 5Hxx and GM last friday....Get real.. ;)

Classic
Sep 4, 2001, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Its a driver problem (If it isnt because of your card being 20 years old or something), wait for an update to come out... I have the same problem with my PCI SCSI card.. :)

And to that guy who talks about 5Hxx and GM last friday....Get real.. ;)

It's a new G4 Dual 800, and I purchased it BTO with Apple's SCSI card pre-installed. Leave it to Apple to ship hardware that isn't compatible...

serpicolugnut
Sep 4, 2001, 11:52 AM
Classic - No, 10.1's dialog boxes don't beep like in OS 9. I'm with you on sound feedback in OS X. It would be nice if it were there, although with everything that was missing from 10.0, I wouldn't rank it really high on the list of things needed. Hit Apple's OS X feedback page with a request - I'll do the same, and we might have a shot of it making it in to 10.2 or 10.5, or whatever they are calling the next release.

As for the SCSI card and 10.1, I can't help you. I know alot of that responsibility falls on Adaptec. I had a 2906 in my Mac but I just removed it because I moved my old CD-burner to my PC (new mac has superdrive so I didn't need it), anyway, that SCSI card originally would prevent my G4 from going to deep sleep back in 9.0. It wasn't until Adaptec updated the driver that it worked. My guess is that this might be the case still - Adaptec will probably need to get the driver up to Apple's spec before it will allow the machine to go to deep sleep. That said, I did hear some people mention that 10.1 fixed a lot of deep sleep issues with 3rd party cards.

falc420
Sep 4, 2001, 12:07 PM
Mac OS X versions 10.0 - 10.0.4 don't support deep sleep if there are any cards other than the Apple supplied video card installed. Even if your PCI cards support deep sleep, it is Mac OS X 10.0.4 that prevents this from happening. From what I have gathered from reading about 10.1, deep sleep will return later this month.

mymemory
Sep 4, 2001, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by password is pong

Do I make any sense?

No you don't, it probably has to do with your bad english.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Kid, my english is not that good, but sadly, is long way above the average of what you can find in this forum. And I guess I'm the only one who is not North American around here.

Unregistered
Sep 4, 2001, 01:30 PM

Why are you criticizing someone else's English when you have made so many errors yourself in just two sentences?

-Your first sentence is a run-on.
-"english" should be capitalized

-Your second sentence is also a run-on.
-There should be a comma between "and" and "it."
-"ALOT" should be two words.
-You misspelled usable.

My point is not to obsess over grammar technicalities. I just think your message is hypocritical, and I am explaining why.

Classic
Sep 4, 2001, 01:37 PM
serpicolugnut and falc420:

Thanks for the insight.

NoOne
Sep 4, 2001, 01:44 PM
Does anyone have info on where to line up for an upgrade? So far I haven't seen anything from Apple saying where to send my $20 (for shipping and handling eh?)..

Flup
Sep 4, 2001, 01:50 PM
I used OS X 10.1 5G27 with my Adaptec 2906 SCSI card. Deep sleep is OK with the new drivers from Adaptec.

Xistor
Sep 4, 2001, 07:01 PM
Been running 5G40 for a day now, put it through a lot of paces.. not a hang, not a crash, not a single install issue.. very nice.. app loading speed is up 50% from 5G27 even.. under 5G26 on an iBook 466, IE would load in 4 bounces. Now with the same G3 under 5G40, IE 5.1 loads in just 1-2 bounces. VERY impressed.. This one is actually faster than OS 9.x. Menus draw as fast as under nine. Window resizing speed is up. The additional preferences options are really nice.

Whomever was complaining earlier about the new log-in requestor giving away account names with the cute pictures can stop worrying. This "cute" feature brought back from OS 9 can be turned off and a standard Unix-style log-in used as before which does not reveal the usernames and expects both name and password to be enterred before access is granted.

The only thing I've noticed is an odd graphics error in Open GL which adds thin 1 pixel "frames" between texture mapped 3d surface tiles in some screen savers like the tunnel one. This same oddidity appeared before running 3d games like Bugdom in the Classic mode. I hope it's zapped from both before they go GM.

I'm disappointed that full energy conservation has still not been addressed. Still missing from 5G40 is the controls for processor slower speed (1/2 speed) and processor cycling for lap top users.. and there is no seperation of energy saving features for wether a lap-top is on its power adaptor or running from battery. This set of 9 features is the last big piece I have noticed isn't implemented to make 10.1 a completely functional release.

password is pong
Sep 5, 2001, 09:15 AM
Will os X.1 run decent on my iMac DV? It's 400 MHz,and I have 320 MB Ram. Will it run slow at all?

dannsh
Sep 5, 2001, 11:42 AM
You have a grounding feedback loop. Two or more of you electronic devices are grounded on the same circuit. You need to isolate your equipment so there is only one grounded plug is connected to the circuit. The easy way is to put three to two prong connectors on all but one of your electronci devices. Preferably your Mackie console.
The more expensive way is to buy an ISOBAR strip which
isolates the grounds from each other. Only one grounding plug should be active, all other should be isolated.

Danny

If OS 9.2 still so weird, do you think I'm going to jump in to OS X just because?

No way, I prefer to deal a bit more with my low frequency tune in 9.2 rather than guessing if is a OS X bug or me.

[Edited by mymemory on 09-04-2001 at 01:23 PM]

Johnstkr
Sep 5, 2001, 05:46 PM
not my specific problem but... polite, expert information is such a beautiful thing.

Originally posted by dannsh
You have a grounding feedback loop. Two or more of you electronic devices are grounded on the same circuit. You need to isolate your equipment so there is only one grounded plug is connected to the circuit. The easy way is to put three to two prong connectors on all but one of your electronci devices. Preferably your Mackie console.
The more expensive way is to buy an ISOBAR strip which
isolates the grounds from each other. Only one grounding plug should be active, all other should be isolated.

Danny

password is pong
Sep 5, 2001, 07:33 PM
Not meaning to sound out of the know, but can some explain xGxx e.g. 5G55.
Thanks

password is pong
Sep 5, 2001, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Johnstkr
not my specific problem but... polite, expert information is such a beautiful thing.

Shut up you stupid fairy. This guy is a ****ing idiot for bashing OS X because 9.2 didn't work correctly. He could improve his english skills as well.

john123
Sep 5, 2001, 08:14 PM
Not meaning to sound out of the know, but can some explain xGxx e.g. 5G55.
Thanks

Let's take another example for simplicity: 5G34

5=a number representing version of OS. For OS 10.0.1-10.0.4, these numbers were 1 to 4. 5 follows next numerically and represents 10.1.

The G34 represents the build. They start out with A1 and increase the NUMBER from there. If enough changes are made to where it has packed quite a punch, you move up the letter. So, you see A1, A2, A3,...all the way up to, say, A55. And then it goes B1,B2....

The differences in software between, say, A1 and A2 likely won't be enormous.

Johnstkr
Sep 5, 2001, 10:00 PM
Nice,
A. Why does a simple thank you require a personal attack in response?
B. I see no problem with his (E)nglish, nor do I see any mention of operating system bashing in his response. I see only a technical response that will more than likely fix the stated problem.

Originally posted by Johnstkr

Shut up you stupid fairy. This guy is a ****ing idiot for bashing OS X because 9.2 didn't work correctly. He could improve his english skills as well.

arn
Sep 5, 2001, 11:28 PM
Guys...

keep it clean. Don't personally attack each other. Don't insult language skills.

Discuss, be happy... or we'll have to start being a bit more strict.

Avoid explicatives as a well...

You've been warned,
arn

Stryker
Sep 6, 2001, 04:31 AM
Anyone download 5G55 build of OS X 10.1 yet? Has anyone put it up on a server? I hear a lot about earlier builds. Just curious.

password is pong
Sep 6, 2001, 09:39 AM

He is comparing apples and oranges! OS 9(.2) and OS X are completely different and separate. He obviously hasn't even used OS X. I hate when people make uninformed judgements. It's even worse when they use a non-sequitor (it does not follow that because he's having problems with 9.2 that OS X is worse). That technical information even furthers my claim that he knows nothing of what he's talking about. His problem wasn't even OS related. Why is he even posting to a rumor site about a problem with his computer? He needs to post stuff relevant to the topic.

password is pong
Sep 6, 2001, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Stryker
Anyone download 5G55 build of OS X 10.1 yet? Has anyone put it up on a server? I hear a lot about earlier builds. Just curious.

If you check out http://www.railheaddesign.com , you will see that the build is up to 5G47 or so. It's not long now!

Stryker
Sep 6, 2001, 01:04 PM
I hope that I can get my clammy hands on 10.1 soon. 10.0.4 is still sloooooow. I can't wait to send in my Mac OS Up To Date Program card!

Xistor
Sep 6, 2001, 10:44 PM
OK, 5G48 is really fast, DVD player doesn't expire (at least yet), and the waking up issues are nailed.. now the issue seems to be actually getting it to go to sleep.. more work obviously being done. Loads of new goodies in the last several versions have been added to finder.. menu options improved, moved around a bit here and there..

6 different programs have menu bar icons now:
Displays, Sound, IR (InfraRed port), Airport, PPPoE, and Batter (laptops only of course get this one).. all of those can be pulled down to present preferences for the appearance of the menu icon, functionality of the device, or fast access to the entire Preference pane for that function..

And yes, it will run fine on anything G3 in the 300s and up speed wise. I've been testing all the builds since 4G27 on a G3 400 DV, a G3 500 DV/SE, and an iBook 466... It's WAY faster than 10.0.x..!

A testament to how much better of an operating system X is v. 9... the speed potential is so much higher, many things now function faster than on 9, including DVD player.. The player doesn't hardly skip a beat bringing up the controller or changing screen sizes.. it's much more suave than the 9 player was.. playback available in a window on the Finder and full screen in theatre mode.. and oh ya, it's Dock sensitive so if it's windowized and the Dock is popped up, it moves out of the way so you can access the Dock.. :)

Stryker
Sep 7, 2001, 12:57 AM
Are there any servers that I can DL a recent build from?

john123
Sep 7, 2001, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Stryker
Are there any servers that I can DL a recent build from?

Unfortunately, unless you're a developer with an ADC account, the answer to that question is "no"....legally, that is.

Anyway, even if you could get your hands hypothetically on a recent build, why bother?? Within a couple months you can have the real thing, with all the final bugs that WILL be worked out ALREADY worked out.

Stryker
Sep 7, 2001, 02:23 AM
true, true... but 10.0.4 is so slow that I am aching for 10.1 (not to mention the bug fixes and improvements -- I like the pull down menus for Airport, Sound, Monitors, etc.)