Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^^Probably not. I'd rather spend a bit more and get a lens like a Sigma 18-50 mm or Tamron 17-50 mm. You get a constant f2.8, even at the 50 mm end, and that's worth 2 stops over an 55 mm f5.6 anyway. That, and I have more control over depth of field.....and the photos will be prettier. IS wouldn't give me anything I really need.......not at 50 mm (which isn't very long).

I'm sure the photos from these 2 new lenses will be much better than the kit lens. That isn't saying much, though.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
The bigger question to me is how will the 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS compare to the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS in price, image quality, and build. If it too is $200, that's going to be tempting.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Also, I know this is a non-issue... but i'm not a fan of the black and silver colour scheme... especially not that silver band showing focal length. I much prefer Nikon's subtle black with gold trim, or even Canon's obnoxious white L glass.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Thanks for posting this! I am a big fan of Canon cameras and still have my 4.0 MP Digital Elph from over 3 years ago - and it still works great! Now that I see these new models though, perhaps it's time to think about upgrading... ;) :cool:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Putting aside from the image quality of the lens (which I assume will be better than the current kit), does IS in an 18-55 really make much difference or sense?

I think The Digital Picture had the best response to that question. Granted it was for a different lens, but one of similar focal range.

the-digital-picture.com said:
Why put Image Stabilization into a wide angle to short telephoto zoom lens? For the same reason you put it into telephoto lenses - to reduce camera shake. Since the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens has third generation IS, it can be handheld up to 3 f-stops lower than a non-IS lens at the same focal length. Granted, a wide angle lens can be handheld at lower shutter speeds than a long telephoto lens, but being able to hold them at even lower shutter speeds is a great benefit to me. It also compensates some for the slow/narrow wide open aperture. This lens can be handheld at slow enough shutter speeds to allow significant subject motion blur when desired - such as moving water. The moving water pictures in the 17-85 IS sample gallery were all shot handheld - down to 1/3 second.

Since this a similar f3.5-5.6, being able to hand hold in lower light is a large asset. It dosen't make it equal an f2.8, but it helps make up for narrower aperture.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
The 40D and G9 are both pure ownage.
RAW in a camera as nice as the G9 is awesome, and since I need a pocket camera soon, I will probably get one for Christmas.:)

The 40D, on the other hand, is probably just a pipe dream... My Rebel XTi still works fine, but the grip annoys me to no end.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
The bigger question to me is how will the 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS compare to the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS in price, image quality, and build. If it too is $200, that's going to be tempting.

Yes, most definitely. I was considering getting a 17-85IS early next year, and a 70-300IS after that... but if this "combo" (18-250 w/IS) turn out to have good reviews, I may go for it instead of the most expensive option.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Putting aside from the image quality of the lens (which I assume will be better than the current kit), does IS in an 18-55 really make much difference or sense?

It does when Pentax/Samsung, Sony, and Olympus are offering IS with all of their lenses because it's part of an economical camera body. Canon are simply responding to the market.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
The 40D and G9 are both pure ownage.
RAW in a camera as nice as the G9 is awesome, and since I need a pocket camera soon, I will probably get one for Christmas.:)

The 40D, on the other hand, is probably just a pipe dream... My Rebel XTi still works fine, but the grip annoys me to no end.

I thought I read that the reason why RAW was removed from the Canon G series was that there was no discernible improvement: http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-6139374-7.html

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Canada

I'd like IS on all my lenses if it doesn't add too much more to the price or bulk. This means I can use the lenses under dimmer lighting without going with a tripod or raising ISO.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
It does when Pentax/Samsung, Sony, and Olympus are offering IS with all of their lenses because it's part of an economical camera body. Canon are simply responding to the market.

Which raises an interesting question: 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS? :D A CPS guy said it wouldn't happen, because there's no point in having IS at such focal lengths, but given that it's going into the 18-55mm ...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Which raises an interesting question: 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS? :D A CPS guy said it wouldn't happen, because there's no point in having IS at such focal lengths, but given that it's going into the 18-55mm ...

It's unlikely because it's an L-series lens and it's unnecessary in that certain lens.

The 18-55mm is a shaky lens in more ways than one but for consumers, the draw is clear. There is IS in the upper half of the point and shoots, IS in the lower middle of the digital SLRs and since Canon and Nikon have already established in-lens IS, they must, must, must match features some way to get the attention of consumers.

Given the quality of the current lens, will the quality of the economical IS be of any use?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wow the 40d is nice and I'm a Nikon user. I'd be tempted to see how that so-called dust free sensor does.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I thought I read that the reason why RAW was removed from the Canon G series was that there was no discernible improvement: http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-6139374-7.html

That explanation doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It sounds more like Canon didn't want to admit how noisy the sensor was by making RAW available so they hid the problem behind heavy noise reduction. The idea that noise is the only difference between JPEGs and RAW is untrue, and that's the explanation the article gives.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Thanks Canon, for rubbing salt in the wound...

I guess I'll still be taking shots with my non RAW G7...

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Given the quality of the current lens, will the quality of the economical IS be of any use?

Well the new lenses incorporate a UD element, and Spectra coatings that I do not believe the previous generations have, and it sounds like they felt the sting of bad reviews on the old kit lens.

Will this change the new one?

Who knows!

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Wow, the 40D sounds incredible! FWIW, this is coming from a 1D user.

8.3 vs. 6.5 fps, no big deal, and even though the 1D has 45 AF points, the 40D does have a diagonal cross-type AF sensors, as well as 18 regular cross types. Live view and the 6 extra megapixels sound nice too.

All that said, I think the big selling points (for me) are the 14-bit RAW and silent mode operation, both of which should be great. Too bad they didn't include micro AF adjustment. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.