PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto with Casio Exilim EX-Z3

hui__lim
Aug 6, 2003, 11:55 PM
Does anyone know if the Casio Exilim EX-Z3 will work with iPhoto. I'm thinking of getting it today so help with this would be much appreciated ASAP!
Many Thanks
Hui

simX
Aug 7, 2003, 12:08 AM
Given that Apple doesn't list it on their iPhoto camera compatibility page (http://www.apple.com/iphoto/compatibility/camera.html), I wouldn't count on it.

hui__lim
Aug 7, 2003, 12:15 AM
I know thats what im worried about!

iJon
Aug 7, 2003, 12:49 AM
buy the camera, and just buy a supported memory card reader. thats what i would do.

iJon

MacBandit
Aug 7, 2003, 01:00 AM
For the price I highly recommend a Canon over the Casio they have much better optics and they are fully supported in OSX.

hugov
Aug 7, 2003, 03:44 AM
Buy the camera -- i have a m1 and it works as a memory card reader under mac os x -- no need for special driver at all. they may have changed that tho. even the firmware updates work without any special software. you just draga a special file on the disk and restart the camer

MisterMe
Aug 7, 2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by simX
Given that Apple doesn't list it on their iPhoto camera compatibility page (http://www.apple.com/iphoto/compatibility/camera.html), I wouldn't count on it. Even though Apple does not list any Casio camera, Casio's web site (http://exilim.casio.com/z3spec.htm) explicitly lists the EXILIM Z3 as MacOS X 10.2 compatible. You have to connect to your computer through the included cradle.

AngryAngel
Aug 7, 2003, 10:13 AM
MisterMe: The poster was asking about iPhoto compatibility, which may not be the same as being OS X compatible.

I would presume that if it uses the built-in USB Mass-storage device driver, then iPhoto should pick it up. If it uses a special Casio driver (and cannot be seen without it), then it is probably not going to load/import into iPhoto automatically, but you could always manually add the photos after copying them to your HD.

iMax531
Aug 7, 2003, 12:26 PM
I have the casio exilim s2 and it works perfectly with iPhoto. So no worries

-max

hui__lim
Aug 7, 2003, 12:31 PM
Thanks MisterMe for telling me that is compatible with macs. At least thats one thing less to worry about. Well I hope it does sync with iPhoto. Is it hard work to do it the long way if it doesnt sync? Havent experieced doing it the long way as currently have a p9 and it works with iPhoto like a dream!

hui__lim
Aug 7, 2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by iMax531
I have the casio exilim s2 and it works perfectly with iPhoto. So no worries

-max
iMax, does it work with iPhoto as you are able to sync photos without doing it manually? Many Thanks

MisterMe
Aug 7, 2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by AngryAngel
MisterMe: The poster was asking about iPhoto compatibility, which may not be the same as being OS X compatible.Have you ever seen a digital camera that was MacOS X compatible and not iPhoto-compatible?
Originally posted by AngryAngel
I would presume that if it uses the built-in USB Mass-storage device driver, then iPhoto should pick it up. If it uses a special Casio driver (and cannot be seen without it), then it is probably not going to load/import into iPhoto automatically, but you could always manually add the photos after copying them to your HD. You seem to be going all around Job's barn to figure out how Casio can make its cameras incompatible with iPhoto. However, it has been my experience that any device holding photos--whether it is a digital camera or a USB memory card reader--that automounts on the desktop will automatically launch iPhoto. The only USB camera that I have ever seen that does not automount on the desktop is a POS that my brother bought at Wal-Mart. The Casio in question is not a POS Wal-Mart stock item.

AngryAngel
Aug 7, 2003, 01:16 PM
Yes, I'm so sorry, you must be correct- it is always much better to assume it is compatible with iPhoto.

I was just highlighting a possible situation. And your post reinforces my claim that some USB cameras do not use the mass storage device driver.

pickles
Aug 7, 2003, 01:56 PM
I bought the Exilim EX-Z3 two weeks ago and it works great with iPhoto. The first two times I put the camera in its dock and pressed the USB button (this is how the camera connects and mounts on your Mac) it did not launch iPhoto but now its works beautifully. I am very happy with the camera itself. I'm the kind of person that wants to take pics when I go to events, parties, street fairs, etc. but I hate to bring some bulky camera and bag that I have to worry about. The EX-Z3 is so small that I just put it in my pocket and can whip it out whenever the mood strikes. I also bought a PNY 4 in 1 PCI adapter (I have a 15" PB) for $40.00. The dock is too bulky to keep in my comp bag. the battery is good for about 100 pics depending on usage.

Anyway, get the camera and enjoy the freedom.

hui__lim
Aug 7, 2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks Pickles, its great to hear that you can sync it with iPhoto. I'll have a definte play around with the camera to see what its like. i love the form factor where it's a tiny cam but with 3mega pixels. Are the photos taken with it clear and bright? Would you recommend getting one? Many Thanks again

pickles
Aug 9, 2003, 03:00 PM
The pics come out just fine. They are bright and clear. However, very strong sunlight has a tendency to give a red streak/glow on the left side of the screen. I have found that the pics are not affected by this but the movies are pic it up. The only other complaint is that it does not have any lighting adjustment for nighttime. If it is dark, you won't see anything on the screen. I had an Olympus 3.2 MP camera that would adjust to low light levels but it was stolen. Again, the camera is lots of fun, the price is great and it does have alot of wow factor (just like my PowerBook). You can see the pics from a job that I did this week here (http://homepage.mac.com/carlhajduk/PhotoAlbum4.html). Remeber, these pics have been cropped to fit on Home Page.

ainiw
Aug 9, 2003, 04:45 PM
I have the Casio Exillim EX Z3 now for three weeks, and it works perfectly with iPhoto. Never had a problem. Beautiful pictures. Because it is so small you can have it with you all the time, and take photo's you would not had made before...