PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a 15"

scifi451
Aug 7, 2003, 12:33 AM
I finally broke down and got a current model of the 15". I just could not wait any longer. I got the 1GHz with a 40GB and a combo drive.

I cant wait for it when it gets here early next week! :D

Any accesories current 15" users think I "must" have for it?
also this is my first computer that will run OS X, which is real cool!

AHDuke99
Aug 7, 2003, 12:49 AM
Just a question, why did you get at 40GB insted of a 60GB, for $48 the 20 extra GBs come in handy, anyway Welcome to the Mac Community!!!

scifi451
Aug 7, 2003, 12:51 AM
That was a real tought decision. But I was on a budget so every dollar counted.

DrGonzo
Aug 7, 2003, 09:37 AM
YOu need to buy a USB powered "snake" light for your computer now.

idea_hamster
Aug 7, 2003, 10:11 AM
I would suggest the following:

1. A two- or three- button USB mouse w/ scroll wheel. (<$30)Self-explanatory, I suspect.

2. A riser swivel base. ($20) Even if you only use it at home, it's a great way to help dissipate some extra heat. Also, it allows you to show someone your screen like you're moving your monitor -- a small thing, but I love it.

3. A small capacity USB flash memory module. The small ones are cheap and so much easier to use that dragging around a floppy drive or blank CD-RW. It allows you to give/get copies of most non-application files without e-mail access.

4. A keyboard pad (http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=542&Title=PowerBook%20Accessories&Template=1/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=542&Title=PowerBook%20Accessories&Template=1) for when you close the cover. ($15) I think that Other World Computing and some other companies have these (and at least one poster here noted that you can use the plastic pad that will come with your P'Bk). This will prevent your keyboard from eventually leaving a rubbed pattern on your LCD screen that simply does not come off. (I got my 15" in Feb. of 2001, and while the screen-rub isn't distracting, it annoys me a bit.)

Kwyjibo
Aug 7, 2003, 10:42 AM
I never use the snake light i bought. Make sure you buy a lock for it if you think you'll need it.

Also perhaps he didn'tgot for the 60gb because he wanted it now not BTO and thru the mail.

scifi451
Aug 7, 2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by idea_hamster
I would suggest the following:

1. A two- or three- button USB mouse w/ scroll wheel. (<$30)Self-explanatory, I suspect.

2. A riser swivel base. ($20) Even if you only use it at home, it's a great way to help dissipate some extra heat. Also, it allows you to show someone your screen like you're moving your monitor -- a small thing, but I love it.

3. A small capacity USB flash memory module. The small ones are cheap and so much easier to use that dragging around a floppy drive or blank CD-RW. It allows you to give/get copies of most non-application files without e-mail access.

4. A keyboard pad (http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=542&Title=PowerBook%20Accessories&Template=1/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=542&Title=PowerBook%20Accessories&Template=1) for when you close the cover. ($15) I think that Other World Computing and some other companies have these (and at least one poster here noted that you can use the plastic pad that will come with your P'Bk). This will prevent your keyboard from eventually leaving a rubbed pattern on your LCD screen that simply does not come off. (I got my 15" in Feb. of 2001, and while the screen-rub isn't distracting, it annoys me a bit.)

Already got a real nice Logitech mouse and recently got a USB stick.

idea_hamster
Aug 7, 2003, 11:26 AM
Consider the screen pad -- seriously. The keyboard leaves a visible pattern of shiny patches on the screen that just cannot be removed. It's too late for my Rev. A TiBook, but I'm definately planning on a pad for my next P'Bk.

Also, I realize that you may not get as much benefit from a riser as I do -- your 1Ghz TiBook is probably going to have lots of fan-on time no matter what, whereas for my 500MHz TiBook it makes the difference between fan-on and fan-off.

And I have a snake light. Never use it.

And then, of course, there's RAM...delicious, delicious RAM! OS X loves it and you'll love it too when you realize that with Darwin stability and preemptive multi-tasking, leaving a whole bevy of programs running but window-less is the ultimate convenience.

mrjamin
Aug 7, 2003, 11:29 AM
Consider the screen pad -- seriously. The keyboard leaves a visible pattern of shiny patches on the screen that just cannot be removed. It's too late for my Rev. A TiBook, but I'm definately planning on a pad for my next P'Bk.

just use the foamy sheet that will come inbetween the keyboard/screen when it shows up - its free and does the job just as well.

idea_hamster
Aug 7, 2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin
just use the foamy sheet that will come inbetween the keyboard/screen when it shows up - its free and does the job just as well.

No doubt this is the zero-cost solution. If, however, one is willing to trade some scratch for a less spartan option, they do exist.

Powerbook G5
Aug 7, 2003, 11:52 AM
I have a PowerBook G3 and with all the comments, I have two questions--1. My fan *never* comes on, I know you cannot speak for the new PowerBooks that will be here soon, but does the fan seriously come on that much now? That would seriously suck! 2. I have never used a keyboard cover and never once noticed any markings on my screen. Is this a new issue with Powerbooks now? How bad is it? I've personally never seen anyone use a screen pad on a laptop before and I've seen a lot of people use laptops. If this is a new issue, how come it hasn't been addressed by Apple? I've had this PowerBook for 4 1/2 years now and never noticed this to be a problem.

beefcake
Aug 7, 2003, 12:02 PM
I think you can buy a keyboard pad at any Apple store for $10. I got my 15" last week and it seems Apple has fixed the *problem* of a thin sheet of foam being sent with the packing so now I have to shell out more money to protect my screen. I highly recommend this small investment. After one week of use I can already tell the edges of the keys are leaving marks.

idea_hamster
Aug 7, 2003, 12:04 PM
The G4 runs much hotter -- so hot that people have complained that it's uncomfortable to use the P'Book as an actual "laptop" computer. My 500Mhz TiBook can get uncomfortably hot. Consequently, the fan does spend a fair amount of time on. With the higher clock speeds, the heat is worse, and the fan is a more common occurance.

According to OWC (who sells the pad), the screen rub dates back to the Wallstreet PB in 1998 and I do know someone who has a Bronze Keyboard PB (1999/2000?) that has significant screen rub. It creates a pattern of shiny vertical and horizontal dash-shaped areas in the original satin finish on the screen. It's most visible when the screen is off/dark -- especially if viewed at an angle. I suspect that it arises from pressure/jostling during transport, so if you don't carry your G3 PB around alot in a backpack with other stuff, you may not suffer as much.

As for why Apple hasn't addressed it? Who can say why Apple does[n't do] anything?

mrjamin
Aug 7, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I have a PowerBook G3 and with all the comments, I have two questions--1. My fan *never* comes on, I know you cannot speak for the new PowerBooks that will be here soon, but does the fan seriously come on that much now? That would seriously suck!

G4's get SIGNIFICANTLY hotter than G3's. They start to shirr after about an hour of use, or as soon as you start doing anything pretty processor intensive

plutnicki
Aug 7, 2003, 12:19 PM
I asked the same question not too long ago, I've had my 15" for 2 weeks now.

1) Mouse. I have a small Kensington USB mouse, but I honestly find myself not using it and just using the trackpad.

2) Extra power adaptor. Keep on in my travel bag, keep one at home. Has been very useful to have.

3) I don't have a USB keychain, but what I do have is one of those CF readers. I used the CF card that came with my camera to transfer files between my two Macs, before I got my airport network going.

4) Good bag. I'm waiting for Waterfield to start making the Racer-X again. In the meantime, I have a Marware Sportsuit which serves just fine.

5) I have a Radtech screen protector and a set of Radtech Wildeepz. The Wildeepz are little pads that keep your screen from even touching the keyboard or wrist area. The screen protector (which I don't *really* need, but it also doubles as a screen wipe) is also very nice. Either way, I'd get some sort of screen protector (something better than the Marware keyboard pad, IMHO) quickly.

That's my list thus far. I'm looking into getting some sort of CoolPad thing at some point (may just make one myself).

Enjoy the PowerBook!

...Jim

idea_hamster
Aug 7, 2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by plutnicki
I have a small Kensington USB mouse, but I honestly find myself not using it and just using the trackpad.
Wow -- I can only wish that I weren't so addicted to right-click contextual menus and scroll wheel. I know that Ctrl-Click isn't like, lots of work, but I've been spoiled by Adobe's right-clickability. Oh, well....

Powerbook G5
Aug 7, 2003, 12:30 PM
That's weird, I have a Lombard (1999 G3 series w/bronze keyboard) and with 4 years of heavy use, it has never made any marks on the screen and I keep the lid closed whenever it's not in use and transport it in a saddle style laptop bag when traveling. I don't go adding any unneeded pressure on the case to make the keys rub, but I don't do anything to prevent it, either. If it is a problem, perhaps I am lucky. It just seems odd that so many people have had a problem with it if I have not even noticed any smudge on my screen.

One thing I do recommend highly, though, is a lock for your PowerBook. After two years of college, I have seen enough problems of laptops being stolen out of dorm rooms. It's a definite problem and makes me paranoid enough to take my PowerBook with me if I am to leave for an extended time from my room. One model that is the most quoted of being stolen at my school is the iBook, so I just find a simple lock to be a good investment.

scifi451
Aug 7, 2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by plutnicki

5) I have a Radtech screen protector and a set of Radtech Wildeepz. The Wildeepz are little pads that keep your screen from even touching the keyboard or wrist area. The screen protector (which I don't *really* need, but it also doubles as a screen wipe) is also very nice. Either way, I'd get some sort of screen protector (something better than the Marware keyboard pad, IMHO) quickly.

That's my list thus far. I'm looking into getting some sort of CoolPad thing at some point (may just make one myself).

Enjoy the PowerBook!

...Jim

Where do I get the Radtech screen protector and how much is it?
same for the adjustable stand for the PB

plutnicki
Aug 7, 2003, 01:35 PM
Radtech is: http://www.radtech.us

The CoolPad's can be found a lot of places online. This is one:

http://www.thinkdifferentstore.com/cgi-app/store/agora.cgi?&xm=on&product=PowerBook-iBook

ibookin'
Aug 7, 2003, 01:57 PM
Get a good laptop case, or a sleeve for whatever you carry your stuff in now. It's probably not a good idea to have your beautiful new TiPB riding along with whatever crap you may have.

scifi451
Aug 7, 2003, 02:21 PM
I got a sleevecase from sfbags.com

DrGonzo
Aug 7, 2003, 04:06 PM
btw i was joking about the light, i thought that would have been obvious.

MacFan26
Aug 7, 2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by scifi451
I got a sleevecase from sfbags.com

How did your sleevecase work? Is it worth it to get a shoulder strap or a ballistic flap?

daveL
Aug 7, 2003, 05:38 PM
No doubt this is the zero-cost solution. If, however, one is willing to trade some scratch for a less spartan option, they do exist.
I use 2 sheets of paper from the copier. I've had my PB for 9 months and the screen is flawless. Save your money.

scifi451
Aug 7, 2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by MacFan26
How did your sleevecase work? Is it worth it to get a shoulder strap or a ballistic flap?

I am not sure because I just orderd it on Tuesday, but I got all of the extras for the case.

Schiffi
Aug 8, 2003, 11:51 AM
First of all max out the RAM :)

Sorry you got the 40GB and the combo... but it's YOUR computer so I won't complain.

You might want to get an external FW drive for maybe backups.

You'll defintely want to reformat as soon as you get it and put OS9 on it's own parition. There are articles on the interent on how to do this, but PM me if you don't know how.

I have just purchase an Aluminum Vanguard case that should arrive today for mine.

I use a Marware screen protector and it does it's job.

Get APPLECARE!

This is more of a preference sort of thing but, get a keypad. Applestores usually have a Keningston and it comes in handy for calculating numbers or working in excel. The Keningston also has 2-USB ports on it.

Get an 3.5mm audio plug to l/r composite for television. Watching a DVD on television through the TiBook is always fun.

Download Macjanitor.

Get UT2003 ;P

Oh, and get X-Chat and chat with us sometime. /server irc.krono.net /join #macrumors

TIBOOK USERS UNITE!

scifi451
Aug 8, 2003, 06:11 PM
I will need help with the parition for OS 9, because I have very limited knowledge of OS X.

Marware?
Macjanitor?

beefcake
Aug 8, 2003, 06:24 PM
Marware is the name of the company that makes the screen protector. If you're fortunate enough to have a thin layer of foam shipped with your PB than save your $10 and use the foam in place of a Marware keypad.

scifi451
Aug 8, 2003, 07:29 PM
ok.

I am also very happy today, since my PB shipped today.

Schiffi
Aug 8, 2003, 08:26 PM
OS9 partioning

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021014054815580

scifi451
Aug 8, 2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Schiffi
OS9 partioning

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021014054815580

Thanks. I might do that, what are the advantages to puting them on seperate ones?

Also would it work, if I have a OS 9 cd to install it onto the partition?

scifi451
Aug 9, 2003, 03:03 PM
My computer arrived in Minneapolis today so it should come on Monday. :D

idea_hamster
Aug 9, 2003, 03:55 PM
If you put OS 9 on a partition higher in the heirarchy (that is, closer to the top of the screen in Disk Utility) and OS X on a lower one, you don't have to go through the start-up manager to switch OSes at restart. You can set the OS X partition in Prefs to be the default start-up disk, and start in OS 9 by holding down the "d" key during re-start. (The "d" key actually tells the Mac to ignore the start up preference and start from the "first" OS it finds.) To restart in OS X, just restart.

scifi451
Aug 9, 2003, 04:12 PM
Ok maybe some one can tell me this.

if I have an OS 9 cd, could I use that to install OS 9 on a new partition?

Kwyjibo
Aug 9, 2003, 04:26 PM
thats an age-old question and I think the answer is no.... or atleast not after you install oSX but i'm not sure either, I always found it easier just to keep the relatively small system files on the same partition but that was me.

scifi451
Aug 9, 2003, 04:51 PM
Ok, then why do people suggest putting them on there own partition?

Powerbook G5
Aug 9, 2003, 05:00 PM
It makes it easier to switch between the two in the Startup disc option so you can dual boot either in OS 9 or OS X as far as I know

idea_hamster
Aug 9, 2003, 07:27 PM
Besides being able to boot into OS 9 or X without changing the start up disk pref/contol panel, there was a school of thought among Mac users before OS X that you should keep the OS on one partition and applications and documents on another. I never quite understood the idea behind this, but I think the suggestion was that the partitioning would act as some kind of firewall between the OS and the rest of the software. If that's the case, then OS X isn't susceptable to these kinds of flaws caused by programs because the unix-based OS is (read: should be) "sealed off" from the rest of the software. However, if you plan to spend a significant amount of time in OS 9, you might look into this.

cb911
Aug 9, 2003, 09:01 PM
i used to have a TiBook and i just put a piece of A4 paper over the keyboard whenever i closed it and took it places. alot better than spending money on some 'keyboard protector'.

Schiffi
Aug 10, 2003, 05:21 PM
Holding down Option at boot will let you choose of either OSX or OS9 with the dual boot. Like if something happens and you can't boot into OSX, just restart into OS9 and restore from a backup. Also having OS9 on a seperate parition makes searching easier (as you can only specify the OSX drive or the OS9 during searches). Also, I'd advise you to not use your current OS9 CD. The OS9 with your PowerBook should be the most up-to-date version. I also think that each version of OS9 was made for only certain machines. That method on that link should be easier than installing (just open terminal, type open, drag restore CD into terminal, type ".images/OS9General.dmg" w/o quotes, then hit enter, after the monting is done drag the contents of the virtual drive into your new parition). Simple.

scifi451
Aug 11, 2003, 04:27 PM
Well I am happy to say that today my 15" came. I am currently typing this on it and I am very happy with it. Now I just have to transfer all of my files over from my old laptop.

scifi451
Aug 12, 2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by MacFan26

Now I can really reply to this. Since I have my computer and the bag now. The ballistic flap is worth it, it will help keep out a lot of dirt and other stuff. I also really like the shoulder strap, so that I don't have to carry it every where I go, I can just put it on my shoulder.

Another question that maybe someone can tell me. I am thinking about getting a stand for the 15" and I wonder what people think about them. Do they really help with dissipating the heat from the powerbook? How are they for ergonomics, and my posture?
If you think they are good which one would you recommend?

I remember seeing one that was all metal but I lost the link to it.

MacFan26
Aug 12, 2003, 06:47 PM
Macally makes one called the ice pad:
http://www.macally.com/new/new_icepad.html

I've heard it's good since it has multiple angles.

Or there's the Cool Pad, which rotates:

http://www.roadtools.com/

As far as heat dissipation, I've found that a couple of decks of 3x5 cards do the trick :)

MacFan26
Aug 12, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by scifi451
Now I can really reply to this. Since I have my computer and the bag now. The ballistic flap is worth it, it will help keep out a lot of dirt and other stuff. I also really like the shoulder strap, so that I don't have to carry it every where I go, I can just put it on my shoulder.

That's great! I decided to get both of those. It wasn't a bad price for a good laptop case.