Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Last night I turned on the Power Mac 5200/75 LC, it has an ethernet card, video in, TV in and a 25-pin SCSI terminater atached if it matters. Well I turn it on and starts to boot it, it gets to the Mac OS screen (I am running Mac OS 8, I think) and says "Starting up" Well a few extentions if any begin to load and the Mac suddenly shuts off with no warning. So then I flip the On/Off switch from On to Off and then back to On. I press teh startup key on the keyboard and it Starts up fine. I watch TV on it for about 1 to 2 hours and then I shut it down. Today I went to turn my Mac on and it did the same thing, it started to load and then shut off. This time I flipped the switch again and kept hiting the startup key. Still nothing happens. I turn the power strip it is connected to off and on. Then I pressed teh startup key on the keyboard and it began to startup but then shut off agian. Now I cannot get this machine to budge. it won't turn on no matter what. I read the Apple Service manual and it didn't say anything about unexpected shutdowns. One of you said in the IRC chat that it might be the PRAM. If it is then I can get a replacement for about $13 so it is no problem. I thought the problem was the Power Supply but then maybe I am wrong. I have installed the Video In and TV Tuner card on this Mac so I supose the PRAM battery would be simple too. I hope it is on the same board, I don't want to go anywhere near the CRT. Can anyone confirm that the probelm is the PRAM? This would be most helpful...:)

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Well, have you tried resetting the PRAM? Hold Command-Option-P-R durring startup and let it chime 4 times. That will reset the PRAM. If the battery on the logic board is dead, the computer will still start, it just won't remember the time and other settings when you turn it off. Honestly, to me, it sounds like the power supply is dying, but try the PRAM reset to see just in case.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Sorry guys, hehe, I found out that the AC Power Cord is bad, well it was jamed between the desk so I replaced the wire and it is fine. That is why the 5200 and the PowerBook 540 shutdown for no reason. Thanks for your help :) I will delete this soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.