Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I have a number of books recorded on cassettes. Unfortunately, all but one of my vehicles (and the one used the least) now have cdrom, mp3 players. So, I want to copy them from the cassettes to my Mac, and then burn them.

Now, if you suspect this is an attempt to heist 'content', I offer you my word it is not. If I can find the title on cd, I am happy to purchase it. However, I have many that are out of print. So, I have little choice but to copy.

I have a decent cassette deck. But the only available output is to an amplifier. I purchased an ADS 'Instant Music" to accept the analog output from the deck and convert it to digital. It has output jacks for S/PDIF, USB and standard stereo out.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to make this work. I work with video and feel like I am walking in a minefield.

Thanks

Plumbstone

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
I have never used this device but it appears to be a simple USB A/D soundcard. If so it should be a simple process getting it working.

Plug it in and then open up your "Audio MIDI setup" (found in your utilities folder). Click on the audio devices tab and find your default input. Click on the drop-down menu and you should see your hardware listed there. Select it and also select it where it says "properties for:" Check that you are recording at 16bit 44.1kHz so you can burn straight to cd with no more conversion.

From here it is really down to your preferred software, you may want to use garageband, although it may just be easier to record straight into quicktime, just chose "new audio recording" from the "File" menu.

One last thing, as you are recording from casssette there is going to be a load of background noise and hiss so now would be a good time to try and remove some of it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.