Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
He's unbelievable, just look at him!

_39372973_afp_thumbsup203.jpg

"One of the chief suspects
accused of involvement in
last year's Bali bombing has
been found guilty and
sentenced to death."

BBC Article.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-"Woo hoo! Yyyyyess! The death penalty! They're going to kill me!"

You get the impression that this fellow is not exactly straight in the head - even by terrorists' standards?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: Smiling Bomber gets death sentence

Originally posted by caveman_uk
Now getting medieval - burnt at the stake for example or being hung, drawn and quartered - now that might put them off.
I think they should, in cases where it is beyond any shadow of a doubt of a person’s guilt, and in places where there still is the death penalty, why not make a real example of them. Lethal injection and a-like is too good for these people, they deserve a painful death.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It's very sad indeed. To them it's a victory, looking forward to their 32 virgins. They may just end up like the story Lazrus & Zacharis; but learning there actual destination not allowed to reveal to those that remain!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Smiling Bomber gets death sentence

Originally posted by edesignuk
I think they should, in cases where it is beyond any shadow of a doubt of a person’s guilt, and in places where there still is the death penalty, why not make a real example of them. Lethal injection and a-like is too good for these people, they deserve a painful death.

I hear ya fella!!

But first they should carry out a campaign of dis-information, dress him up western clothes and give him a Pepsi to drink, take pictures, put them on the web saying he regrets his actions, and he's now a confirmed westerner and living in Las-Vegas enjoying the high-life!

Then they should slot him on the quiet, so that all of his buddies thinks he's changed sides... (and thus, not a Martyr)

Personally I'd hand him over to the Aussie SAS and let them deal with him, I'm pretty sure they'll handle it in the way that it deserves... ;)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Hopefully he'll wind up in the same place these people did. And probably with the same expectations they had. I've always wondered whether people like this are sane but brainwashed or otherwise not thinking clearly, or have some kind of mental issues. I wish they would find a deep dark hole, throw him in, and let him smile to his own bad self for the rest of his life. Martyring people just makes things worse, and he's already claimed the crown of martyr, and now will have some period of time to exploit that role while they try all the other people involved. :(

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Slightly refreshing...

I'll tell all of you: it's refreshing to see liberals who can agree that some crimes are worth of the death penalty.

Thank you.

By saying this, however, I may remind some liberals they aren't supposed to like the death penalty, and then I'll get flamed :rolleyes:

That onion article was hilarious, thanks. And I like the idea about a Louisiana prison :lol:

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well, remember the words drawn and quartered ;)

Personally, I think the comedian Ron White put it best.

"I live in Texas, and they are trying to pass a law that if more than three credible witnesses see you commit a murder...... Jack, you go right to the front of the line. Other states are talking about getting rid of the death penalty.......My state is putting in an express lane."

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Well, remember the words drawn and quartered ;)

Personally, I think the comedian Ron White put it best.

"I live in Texas, and they are trying to pass a law that if more than three credible witnesses see you commit a murder...... Jack, you go right to the front of the line. Other states are talking about getting rid of the death penalty.......My state is putting in an express lane."

And that is why Texas has the highest percentage of putting:
a) Innocent people to death
b) Overturning death penalty convictions before the person was to be excuted.

Note: I did not say the highest number, which would also be Texas, because its unfair to the states with less Death Penalty cases.

Anyhoo this person... wanted to die.

I would have pushed for the good only life sentence, they suffer more and they don't get to go to their __ of virgins (I've heard a few different numbers) so soon.

Killing them just helps their point of being a martyr.

You see, the worst possible thing you could do to them is say 'your free' and send them back to their terriost recruitment camp BECAUSE listen to my logic, they didn't follow through on their goal, they didn't accomplish what was needed, to kill themselves in the process.

This would kill them inside, not physically.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by Stelliform
Now I am for the death penalty, but MrMacman has a point. Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime? Wouldn't a better punishment be spending the rest of their lives in forced labor for the US. Maybe picking up trash or something? I know their crimes were not committed in the US, but who do they hate more?

Good idea, how about forcing them to polish our missiles and tanks for the rest of their lives? It would be something low level enough that they could not really sabotage anything but they would be assisting our war effort nontheless.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Now I am for the death penalty, but MrMacman has a point. Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime? Wouldn't a better punishment be spending the rest of their lives in forced labor for the US. Maybe picking up trash or something? I know their crimes were not committed in the US, but who do they hate more?

Ah thanks.

The whole damn point for being a martyr is to die for your cause... anyway I think all terrorists should just get max jail, maybe some forced labor...

For someone like a serial killer should defiantly get to be killed.

Alot of people are saying 'lets tourture them' well, how about lets not.

How much better would we be if we tourtured people?

If our justification for war was that the country tortured people, we should be able to say we don't.

tazo

macrumors 68040

It is kind of like the hijackers that didn't hit a building on September 11th. New investigation shows that they purposely crashed the plane. I think that they were afraid that they wouldn't die that day. The passengers might regain control of the plane and they would live to not see martyrdom. It makes you think...

If this guy was in real life he would probably be tried as a minority.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by tazo
If this guy was in real life he would probably be tried as a minority.

Even so he still cause the death of 200 innocent people. If tried as a minority the death penality should apply for such a horrendous crime!

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
And that is why Texas has the highest percentage of putting:
a) Innocent people to death
b) Overturning death penalty convictions before the person was to be excuted.

Note: I did not say the highest number, which would also be Texas, because its unfair to the states with less Death Penalty cases.

Anyhoo this person... wanted to die.

I would have pushed for the good only life sentence, they suffer more and they don't get to go to their __ of virgins (I've heard a few different numbers) so soon.

Killing them just helps their point of being a martyr.

You see, the worst possible thing you could do to them is say 'your free' and send them back to their terriost recruitment camp BECAUSE listen to my logic, they didn't follow through on their goal, they didn't accomplish what was needed, to kill themselves in the process.

This would kill them inside, not physically.

You're right, I concede to you there. Here's a few more suggestions:

Force them to eat at a McDonalds every day for the rest of their life. That would kill them, but it's not inhumane or offensive (like we could take a jewish terrorist (e.g.) and make them polish swastikas - that would be inhumane) You know, fatten him up like the American pigs he hates.

Wow... my ideas just ran dry.

But not all terrorists should be given life, max. Timothy McVeigh (sic), as far as i know, didn't want to martyr himself, and he deserved to get the death penalty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.