PDA

View Full Version : G4 iBook reliability issue, and my next purchase

GanChan
Aug 21, 2007, 10:31 AM
I own a 1.2 GHz, 12" iBook dating from 2004. I bought it as a refurb a year ago and so far it's been fine. I also own a PPC Mini which has been a great (and cheap!) little desktop unit for me.

I was planning on buying the new upgraded Mini for faster (yet still cheap!) performance at home, because I could still use the iBook as my mobile unit. (My computing needs are modest, but I do get some slowdowns from time to time, and anyway it's probably time to get on the Intel bandwagon.) I decided against a Macbook doing double duty because I didn't want to be always docking and un-docking it from my office peripherals, and because I feel more secure with 2 computers in case one has to go in for repairs.

But recently I've been reading on the Low End Mac site about a design defect in the G4 iBook that causes spontaneous shutdowns, etc, and it sounds like this model may have a short-ish lifespan. Not as bad as the logic board problem on the G3 iBooks, but still...it makes me stop and reflect on whether my buying plans are sensible.

So now I'm confused again. :confused:

In an ideal world, I'd buy the new Mini AND the Macbook, but in that world I have a better-paying job. :D

Corrosive vinyl
Aug 22, 2007, 11:33 AM
the mac mini is the way to go... i recomend the base 1.83GHz model and maybe upping the RAM. As for the iBook G4, I have been using one nonstop since 2004, just like you. The only issue I had with it was with the logic board (free replacement thanks to :apple:) I am expecting it to last me for a lot longer, especially with added RAM and a new battery down the road. I have a friend who has one of the OG iBookG4s and it still works, he has taken it on vacations to use. Just take care of it, and you will be surprised.

maccam
Aug 22, 2007, 12:08 PM
I have the latest version and not one problem! (it's one year old)

coachingguy
Aug 22, 2007, 12:17 PM
I too bought the last version of the iBook (refurb) before they went Macbook. As my primary machine for over two years it held up very well with not one problem. When I upgraded to a Macbook, my wife got the iBook and it has continued to give her daily use w/ no issues whatsoever. Your iBook will be fine.

On a side note, I liked my iBooks (I had 2 1 G3 and the G4). I love my Macbook. The screen is awesome, I love the widescreen aspect. I just upgraded to 2.5 gigs of Ram and never see the spinning ball or boredom any longer.

Good luck and don't worry about the iBook G4. I had the issues with the G3 everyone else - replaced the logic board twice(under warranty), and then went to the G4 when the logic board died again and the cost to fix it was only slightly less than upgrading to the G4. My wife loves the iBook by the way.

Coachingguy

leekohler
Aug 22, 2007, 12:47 PM
My iBook G4 goes with me everywhere, every day. It's been through a lot, and it's still great. I've had it over three years now, the only thing I've replaced is the battery. One of these days, when Apple figures out that many people hate glossy screens, I might get a MB. ;) Until then, iBook all the way.

mkrishnan
Aug 22, 2007, 12:55 PM
I own a 1.2 GHz, 12" dual-USB iBook dating from 2004. I bought it as a refurb a year ago and so far it's been fine. I also own a PPC Mini which has been a great (and cheap!) little desktop unit for me.

I also agree with the others that the iBook G4s are generally very solid. Mine has performed very well since Dec 2003 (it's a rev. A 800MHz 12").

Overall, the number of cases of defects you seem to hear about in the iBook G4 seems at or near the low end of Apple products over the past five or six years. Definitely less complaining than you hear about for the iBook G3, the Powerbook G4 15"/17", or say the rev. A iMac G5....

P.S. Avoid saying or searching for "dual USB" -- that is a specific model reference (http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=ibook_dual_usb&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC) to a generation of iBooks with G3 processors. Pretty much whenever that term is used on the net, it refers to that iBook and not the one you have. All iBook G4s have two USB ports, which is part of the reason why it's irrelevant to call it that also. ;)

GanChan
Aug 22, 2007, 02:45 PM
P.S. Avoid saying or searching for "dual USB" -- that is a specific model reference (http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=ibook_dual_usb&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC) to a generation of iBooks with G3 processors. Pretty much whenever that term is used on the net, it refers to that iBook and not the one you have. All iBook G4s have two USB ports, which is part of the reason why it's irrelevant to call it that also. ;)

Oops, sorry about that. I've corrected my post. Thanks.

mkrishnan
Aug 22, 2007, 04:11 PM
Oops, sorry about that. I've corrected my post. Thanks.

No probs... I meant more that if you look up iBook G3 Dual USB stuff, you'll get all kinds of crazy stuff that might be confusing (the G3 iBooks had a fairly extensive logic board recall for sudden shutdowns and failures...).