PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning an ibook


dbally
Aug 7, 2003, 09:01 AM
I finally switched four days ago and I couldn't be more pleased :) I'm in ilove with my ibook. But because it's new, I'm paranoid about keeping it in pristine condition . . . I'm not so much worried about the exterior since I've got a case for it, but I was hoping people would share their advice for keeping the keyboard/touchpad/wrist area white as long as possible. Thank you.

rhpenguin
Aug 7, 2003, 09:45 AM
Well, what i do with my iBook is just when I clean the screen with my no lint wipe and my Kensington screen cleaner (really good stuff) is i clean the keyboard as well. Also use common sense. Don't handle a newspaper or whatever and then just decide well lets go on the iBook and get fingerprints all over it.

Just wipe it down regularly and make sure your hands are clean and your iBook will sparkle! :)

Kwyjibo
Aug 7, 2003, 10:03 AM
I used to use a lint-free cloth from www.radtech.us and they were great for getting damp and wiping down any part of the iBook. Also you might cosnider an iSkin keyboard protector, then if the keys feel dirty all you have to do is wash the iSkin. www.iskin.com

frescies
Aug 7, 2003, 11:10 AM
The wrist resting area gets really dirty. After a couple weeks it gets brown when I use it. So i like to take a paper towel and wad it up... then i get it slightly moist. After which I pour AJAX (or any bleach based abrasive cleaner) and scrub the hell out of it!!! :D

Then I do the same thing with a Qtip on the trackpad button.

mrjamin
Aug 7, 2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by frescies
The wrist resting area gets really dirty. After a couple weeks it gets brown when I use it. So i like to take a paper towel and wad it up... then i get it slightly moist. After which I pour AJAX (or any bleach based abrasive cleaner) and scrub the hell out of it!!! :D

Then I do the same thing with a Qtip on the trackpad button.

never had that problem with mine! BIG piece of advice - take your watch off. it'll scratch the hell outta the wrist resty bits.

[edit: I never bothered with a proper laptop bag as it makes it blatantly obvious what you're carrying to a theif. I just use a jiffy bag (there's one size that fits perfectly) and stick it in my rucksack. Protects it just as well and you're less likely to get mugged than if you were using a proper laptop bag]

herrmill
Aug 7, 2003, 11:23 AM
What would be the best way to remove scratches on the outer shell? I've been using mine for over 2 years and would like to make it shine again!

gopher
Aug 7, 2003, 01:58 PM
get http://www.iklear.com/ to clean the LCD.

use a sheet of paper to keep the screen apart from skin oil that ends up on the keyboard.

MacBoyX
Aug 7, 2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by herrmill
What would be the best way to remove scratches on the outer shell? I've been using mine for over 2 years and would like to make it shine again!

I have used this... Ice Creme by Radtech (http://www.radtech.us/icecreme.html) and it does a good job getting swirls and nicks out.

MacBoyX

MacBoyX
Aug 7, 2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by dbally
I finally switched four days ago and I couldn't be more pleased :) I'm in ilove with my ibook. But because it's new, I'm paranoid about keeping it in pristine condition . . . I'm not so much worried about the exterior since I've got a case for it, but I was hoping people would share their advice for keeping the keyboard/touchpad/wrist area white as long as possible. Thank you.

I keep the piece of foam that came inside the iBook over my keyboard when I close the lid to keep the keys from scratching the monitor.

I bought an iSkin Keyboard Protector (http://iskinprotect.com/iskin_ibook_spc.html) and I use it regliously. I wash it once a week and it really has kept my keyboard clean.

I use a glass plus wipe to clean the wrist rests/trackpad/screen.

I also wash my hands before I sit down with it :)

As my last iBook was silver inside and my new one is whiteish... I am really careful.

MacBoyX

dbally
Aug 7, 2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks for your ideas and advice :)

vanillamike
Aug 7, 2003, 06:46 PM
Is the Ice Creme by Radtech as good as iCleaner (http://www.ipodcleaner.com)? I have been trying to decide which product to buy to clean my iPod.

Mike

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 7, 2003, 06:57 PM
i also use iKlear - took the keyboard marks off my screen almost completely, after they'd been on there for months.

darwinist
Feb 18, 2004, 06:09 PM
From the archived thread about iBook wrist rests, and from experience, I can assure you the palm rests will get filthy after a while. But the pencil eraser did the job for me! The other (apparently useful) tip for the palm wrests was Mr. Clean Eraser, just that we don't get that in The Netherlands :( .

I did the pencil eraser thing today for the first time, and I'm all happy!

McCord9
Feb 18, 2004, 11:50 PM
I have found the Mr Clean Magic Eraser to be the best for me. It's cheap and fast.