Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
While I thought the first post was a little excessive, there is a grain of truth. how about this bit:
Will it be possible to place H.264 streams into the traditional FLV file structure? It will, but we strongly encourage everyone to embrace the new standard file format. There are functional limits with the FLV structure when streaming H.264 which we could not overcome without a redesign of the file format. This is one reason we are moving away from the traditional FLV file structure. Specifically dealing with sequence headers and enders is tricky with FLV streams.

Will it be possible to place AAC streams into an FLV file structure? Yes, though the same limitations as for H.264 apply.

H.264 will eventually replace FLV in flash. This is not good news for WMP.

junkie365

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
cool

this seems like good news for iPhone and AppleTV - I mean if everyone is migrating to h.264, there's less trans-coding to be done.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Reading too deeply into this perhaps... some of the "Web 2.0" dynamic techniques that are coming into favor are really reducing the need for many kinds of interactive flash embeds. It's smart of Adobe to move into the space of being a uniform solution for all audio / video streaming. I wonder what will become of Silverlight? Adobe is being attacked on the one side by Quicktime's growing availability on computers (because of the iPod and iTunes) and on the other by Silverlight and MS's market entry.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
wow, I just downloaded the beta and it is working pretty well. I tested an Apple quick tip podcast and it worked marvelously. I did have to change the extension to .flv, though, because it didn't think .m4v was a valid URL

Attachments

• Afbeelding 4.png
    Afbeelding 4.png
    239 KB · Views: 345

Kugo

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
I don't want the technical details. I don't like technical things. I just want my Apple devices to work well and have the famous Apple interface.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
I don't want the technical details. I don't like technical things. I just want my Apple devices to work well and have the famous Apple interface.

I am not a TOTAL genious here, but let me get this straight....
I can encode my video in H.264 with say iMovie or Compressor and it will play in an embeded flash player on my website? No need to encode both a .MP4 and .FLV files?

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
I am not a TOTAL genious here, but let me get this straight....
I can encode my video in H.264 with say iMovie or Compressor and it will play in an embeded flash player on my website? No need to encode both a .MP4 and .FLV files?

about right. The file extension doesn't matter, because Flash automatically goes into the content of the file. However, Dreamweaver may not allow you to feed Flash something else than flv, in which case you can just rename your file.

But apart from that you should be able to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.