PDA

View Full Version : New iBook onwer here with a few questions !!!

Webb
Aug 21, 2007, 02:24 PM
I just got an iBook from Craigslist.com I've been using Windows since the 90's,so this is my 1st encounter with Mac world.I have a few questions until I get used to it.

I bought a OX Tiger 10.4 on Ebay so I could reformat the HD,only came with 1 DVD disc,is this right ?

Just like in Windows what equals Crlt+Alt+Del in Macs ?

How can I disable iDrive ?

The are any free good app site for Macs ? Like games Word,games etc...

Do I have to worry about spyware,malware etc.. with Macs ?

Anti virus will be a good thing to get as well ?

Any other suggestion will be welcome !!!

Thank you.

squeeks
Aug 21, 2007, 02:31 PM
heres a link to a thread with some good app suggestions

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=226403

there is no CTL ALT DEL unfortunaly, apparently apple thinks they are too good for that and that their system will never become unstable to that point, boy do i have news for them...

anyway, good luck with it, thats about all of your questions i can answer, oh, yes 10.4 only has one DVD, seriously its a DVD how many do you think it needs? XP only comes with one CD..course i say that, and final cut studio comes with like 6 dvds half of which are dual layer:eek: but thats a multimedia suit not a simple OS

good luck and welcome to our little community of mac lovers and haters, me im still not sure what i think of macs

Webb
Aug 21, 2007, 02:51 PM

there is no CTL ALT DEL unfortunaly, apparently apple thinks they are too good for that and that their system will never become unstable to that point, boy do i have news for them...

anyway, good luck with it, thats about all of your questions i can answer, oh, yes 10.4 only has one DVD, seriously its a DVD how many do you think it needs? XP only comes with one CD..course i say that, and final cut studio comes with like 6 dvds half of which are dual layer:eek: but thats a multimedia suit not a simple OS

good luck and welcome to our little community of mac lovers and haters, me im still not sure what i think of macs

Thanks

I got this laptop, without any software,would the my new 10.4 work,or must be the one that came with the machine ?

Thank you

G-Force
Aug 21, 2007, 02:58 PM
Command-Option-Escape or Ctrl-click on the Dock item > Force Quit or Apple Menu > Force Quit? :rolleyes:

squeeks
Aug 21, 2007, 03:21 PM
Command-Option-Escape or Ctrl-click on the Dock item > Force Quit or Apple Menu > Force Quit? :rolleyes:

nope not the same, good try though

squeeks
Aug 21, 2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks

I got this laptop, without any software,would the my new 10.4 work,or must be the one that came with the machine ?

Thank you

no no, you can definatly install any version you get, it dosent have to be the one that came with the system

Webb
Aug 21, 2007, 03:25 PM
no no, you can definatly install any version you get, it dosent have to be the one that came with the system

Great thank you,Will the new Panther will be any better ? Or just stick with 10.4 ?

squeeks
Aug 21, 2007, 03:26 PM
Great thank you,Will the new Panther will be any better ? Or just stick with 10.4 ?

well, panther is 10.3 if its 10.5 you are refering to that would be leopard, and it really depends on the specs of the machine as to weither or not itll run it that well

Warbrain
Aug 21, 2007, 03:28 PM
well, panther is 10.3 if its 10.5 you are refering to that would be leopard, and it really depends on the specs of the machine as to weither or not itll run it that well

Also depends on the specs of the machine as to if it will be able to run it at all...

G-Force
Aug 21, 2007, 03:44 PM
Explain why please. Your point was that there is nothing in OS X that is comparable with CTRL-ALT-DEL, this is... you can close crashed or unresponsive applications. For more information about running applications you can run Activity Monitor. Sorry, I don't see your point...

mdwsta4
Aug 21, 2007, 04:11 PM
if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?
i'm looking to sell my ibook and am wondering what they're going for lately.

thanks!

Webb
Aug 21, 2007, 04:29 PM
if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?
i'm looking to sell my ibook and am wondering what they're going for lately.

thanks!

$400.00

tdhurst
Aug 21, 2007, 04:57 PM

It's either shift+command+escape or option+command+escape.

Try researching a bit.

tdhurst
Aug 21, 2007, 04:59 PM

Yeah...what is it you're trying to do? For 99% of people it's the same.

squeeks
Aug 21, 2007, 05:06 PM
usually always in windows pressing ctl alt del will give you the task manager, so you can close unresponsive apps, it would be nice to have a ctl alt del combo in mac that no matter what the system is doing itll stop everything and bring up the activity manager so you can force quit apps,

beach-balling is the worst, because nothing else in the system responds until its done doing whatever its doing, had this been windows a simple ctl alt del would bring up task manager and allow me to end task, but unfortunately shift+command+escape or option+command+escape dosent do crap in this situation

squeeks
Aug 21, 2007, 05:09 PM
Also depends on the specs of the machine as to if it will be able to run it at all...

WHAT?!? seems to me i remember some commercials a while back when vista came out saying i could run any OSX on ANY system!!! you mean apple lies?!? NOOO!!!

but yeah osx requires at least what? 256 ram? im sure leopard being just a basic upgrade woulnt require too much more os a system to run, its not OSXI or anything like that

G-Force
Aug 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
usually always in windows pressing ctl alt del will give you the task manager, so you can close unresponsive apps
And how... in my experience it takes like 500 years to close some unresponsive applications in Windows XP. No OS is perfect...

Also, if an application starts hanging here (with the beachball) I can just click another application and let the crashing application become responsive again or force quit it. I never had such a crash that my system was unusable...