Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolbro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2003
I have the 12" powerbook with Airport Extreme.. I was just wondering if its possible to add another external omi or directional antenna to extend the range of my laptop (It could be great for wardriving)

Lastly, I have an old rainbow color iBook. Are there OS X.2 capable usb wirless adapter (either 802.11 b or g)?

Like this Buffalo USB wireless adapter (http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/products/airstation/wliusbg54.php) Sadly this device only support WinXP.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I'm using a SMC 2662W USB wireless adapter with my iBook -- it doesn't come with OS X drivers, but the belkin 802.11b USB adapter has the same chipset and the driver works with it. PM me if you have any more questoins

MP

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: External Antenna for PB and USB Wireless for iBook

Originally posted by lolbro
I have the 12" powerbook with Airport Extreme.. I was just wondering if its possible to add another external omi or directional antenna to extend the range of my laptop (It could be great for wardriving)

You would have to disconnect the internal antenna permanantly, and thus keep the external one connected at all times to get any range, extended or normal. It's not a good idea to add external antennas to laptops. But there is a company out there that makes an omnidirectional antenna for PBs that sticks to the back of the display... Do a google on it...

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.