Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerty546

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2007
so im trying to install Windows xp on my macbook and when its installing it says press enter to install windows but when i press enter it doesnt do anything. Im typing this from my desktop because everytime I turn on my macbook now it goes straight to the windows install screen. What should I do?

invasian

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
what do you mean it doesn't do anything? it should reset and go into the windows installation setup...if you're going into the windows install screen, then you should just let it install...and don't press boot up from cd when it restarts

if not, then try holding down the option key and boot into osx...use bootcamp to make your drive a single volume and retry again...

qwerty546

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2007
it is a blue screen windows style and it says "This version of the setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer.

To set up Windows Xp now, press enter."

I do and the screen remains that way and nothing happens.

invasian

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
it's a real copy of windows yes? not one from dell or made specific for some laptop?

usually the windows installation setup starts loading the necessary components and goes straight to allowing you to partition, etc.

PhilS1121

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
I had this same problem and found this thread when I was searching for a solution. It had me pretty freaked out, as there was no apparent way to get out of the blue setup screen where it asks you to hit "enter" to continue. The computer would not respond to the keyboard. Eventually, I just decided to pull the trigger and turn off my mac, as there was nothing else I could do.

When I turned it on again, it started the windows installation all over, but again it would not respond to the enter key when I got to the blue setup screen.

I finally got it to work the third time. I don't know whether the third time's the charm, or it had something to do with taking out the USB extension I had my mouse plugged into (which was plugged into the keyboard). But when I got to the blue installation screen the third time, it worked.

Very nervewracking experience initially, as I did not know where I was going to end up.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Same thing happened to me. I just held down Cmd+V (I think) to boot as a single user and that ejected the cd. I thought there was a specific command to eject the cd while booting but couldn't find it online so I tried every type of boot command until single user mode worked.

Also, yes, holding option as soon as you hit the power button will take you to the choose your OS screen.

Funnily enough, the keyboard is recognized before it gets to the Welcome to Setup Blue screen. I know this because my wife's MacBook ran into a problem with the Windows Installation not recognizing a Mass storage device driver (it only happens when I am hit keys the entire time). I accidentally hit "S" the first time (allows you to install your own drivers via floppy) and it took me to another page saying I don't have a floppy drive. Then I hit another key (forget which) to get back to the last page and hit enter to continue. Hitting enter then continues the installation (loading of drivers up to this point). So I KNOW the Windows Installation Setup loader recognizes the keyboard at least until it hits the Welcome to Setup page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.