PDA

View Full Version : Mac Plus arrives!

blakespot
Apr 1, 2002, 07:14 PM
Well, the Mac Plus arrived from Canada today. Here's a shot of it (http://www.blakespot.com/macplus.jpg) after a quick setup, no real cleanup done on it yet (tho it's in rather great condition as it comes to me--smells a bit tho...).

Some apps on the HD. WriteNow and MS Works it seems. No floppies with (20MB HD). I need to find some old apps and move them to the unit. Waiting on that Stealth Serial Port to setup LocalTalk network to the Plus for file moves from my DP G4 800.

blakespot

Backtothemac
Apr 1, 2002, 07:58 PM
OMG!!!!!! Dude, that is sooooo cool! I wish that I had one. Where did you get it, and how much was it?

Thanks,

Hemingray
Apr 1, 2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
OMG!!!!!! Dude, that is sooooo cool! I wish that I had one. Where did you get it, and how much was it?

Thanks,

eBay, man. You can find everything plus the kitchen sink there! If I wasn't such a Mac freak, I'd let you have one of my four out in storage. ;)

Hemingray
Apr 1, 2002, 09:30 PM
Very nice, Blakespot! It's too bad you didn't get the original Apple HD20 for your external hard drive... but pickers can't be choosers right? What system and finder versions is it running?

blakespot
Apr 1, 2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Thanks,
I think I paid $50 for it on eBay + $30 shipping. It was shipped from Canada to northern VA. Partially becuase it shipped in it's MacSac type tote bag, it arrived with in rather good condition.

blakespot

blakespot
Apr 1, 2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Very nice, Blakespot! It's too bad you didn't get the original Apple HD20 for your external hard drive... but pickers can't be choosers right? What system and finder versions is it running?
It's running Finder 6.1.5, System 6.0.5. It came with no system disks or disks of any sort, tho I did get the docs and some docs for apps that are installed on the drive. Not the fastest SCSI drive system I've seen... :-) I believe the Mac Plus' SCSI is limited to 340K/sec or some such. Not that the drive in the enclosure as capable of all that much faster transfers. So that's 20MB on my older Mac, 260GB on my newer. Quite a diff.

blakespot

suneun
Apr 1, 2002, 11:37 PM
I actually have many machines I wouldn't mind donating to a good home if you live near Providence, RI. One of the Brown depts donated all 13 of their old Mac Classics/Pluses/SE's to (now rather defunct) BRUMUG.

I play Fool's Errand on one of them once in a while, and one special SE actually has ethernet on it (though i can't get it to work after installing 7 then back to 6... it worked through appletalk when i first tried it). I think I still have about 7 machines lying around.

They're really awesome, but I'm pretty sure I'm a few keyboards/mice short. I also have some old manuals for using the computers (cool collector items).

So, post back if you want one and are willing to drive to the area (or I can drive a short distance away).

eyelikeart
Apr 2, 2002, 12:11 AM
damn that's sweet! :p

I know I'll start sounding like a broken record...but I really want a Macintosh 128...

it always seems I just miss them on eBay... :(

Ensign Paris
Apr 2, 2002, 01:27 AM
When I last bought a Mac Plus on ebay it kind of got smashed while in transport.

Ensign

Beej
Apr 2, 2002, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
When I last bought a Mac Plus on ebay it kind of got smashed while in transport.

Ensign Damn, that sucks big time.

I have a Mac Plus... I use it to play Mac Cricket! A mighty fine game! Sad thing is, I still can;t find one I enjoy more.

blakespot
Apr 2, 2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris

Ensign
I ordered three Apple IIgs monitors in a row through eBay---each was destroyed in shipping (US Postal). This Mac Plus was sent Post Canada -> US Postal and I was frightened!! But it made it. I paid $30 shipping--UPS ground (next cheapest) was $80--just too much to pay for shipping on this $50 auction item!

blakespot

blakespot
Apr 2, 2002, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Beej
Damn, that sucks big time.

I have a Mac Plus... I use it to play Mac Cricket! A mighty fine game! Sad thing is, I still can;t find one I enjoy more.
I am quite anxious to play Harrier Strike Mission on it. It was the first (and only) game I had for my Mac 128 back in '85 and I quite enjoyed it. I hope to acquire it somehow--it should work fine on the Plus, I believe.

blakespot

AmbitiousLemon
Apr 2, 2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by blakespot

I am quite anxious to play Harrier Strike Mission on it. It was the first (and only) game I had for my Mac 128 back in '85 and I quite enjoyed it. I hope to acquire it somehow--it should work fine on the Plus, I believe.

blakespot

i think i posted this right after you won your auction but this site (http://www.crihan.fr/proto/perso/hp/hp/macoldiesWEB/doc/hp/tel/macoldiestel.html) has some oldies to fill up that 20mb drive of yours.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 2, 2002, 07:58 AM
It didn't come in its original box, did it? If you have any of those floating around on the older macs you may want to hold on to them for a while, they might be worth more than the machine.

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,51208,00.html

blakespot
Apr 2, 2002, 08:05 AM
What I wouldn't pay for a Mac Plus or Mac 128, new in box. I am certain that there are a few out there. I recall not long ago someone on eBay was selling a NIB NeXT Cube. It went for $5,000 I believe.

I _was_ lucky enough to find a NIB Amiga 2000 about 2 years ago. I paid $225 for it if I recall correctly. Nothing like the feel of unpacking such a machine for the first time.

blakespot

blakespot
Apr 2, 2002, 08:10 AM
What I wouldn't pay for a Mac Plus or Mac 128, new in box. I am certain that there are a few out there. I recall not long ago someone on eBay was selling a NIB NeXT Cube. It went for $5,000 I believe.

I _was_ lucky enough to find a NIB Amiga 2000 about 2 years ago. I paid $225 for it if I recall correctly. Nothing like the feel of unpacking such a machine for the first time.

blakespot

blakespot
Apr 2, 2002, 08:12 AM
For the _life_ of me I cannot even find a screenshot of Harrier Strike Mission from Miles Computing for the Mac. I see some occurrences of it for the Atari ST (I had that version of it as well, back in my ST days---didn't compare to the Mac version).

Can anyone find a shot on the Mac? (It'd be black and white.) Also, any source for the game itself? I've found a old Mac software sales site, but no listing for this game.

blakespot

quanta
Apr 2, 2002, 09:52 AM
My favorite oldie has to be Dark Castle which i can still play on the SE which my parents have faithfully kept around the house. It actually was called up for active duty last year as it became my girlfriend's word processor for school.

Also, as recently as 1998 the education department at NAU in flagstaff was heavily outfitted with color Mac Classics for many of the desks in the department. I thought that was pretty funny with my 9600/300 and 17 inch monitor sitting on my desk back in the dorm....

macktheknife
Apr 2, 2002, 12:14 PM
Man, it's been almost a decade since I've heard that name! I remembered playing it on my dad's old Mac Plus back in the late 80s when I was a wee little lad. Despite Nintendo's dominance at the time, I still had a soft spot for Dark Castle. I remembered another Mac game named something like "Dungeons of Doom" or something where you move from square to square in some dungeon. Anyone remember that one?

Hemingray
Apr 2, 2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

i think i posted this right after you won your auction but this site (http://www.crihan.fr/proto/perso/hp/hp/macoldiesWEB/doc/hp/tel/macoldiestel.html) has some oldies to fill up that 20mb drive of yours.

Damn, that's a sweet find! Thanks for sharing that site with us!

Time to go burn me a CD. :D

(Knowing French doesn't hurt either... ;) )