PDA

View Full Version : Is Apple the Lonely Rolls-Royce of the Computer World?

MacBytes
Aug 7, 2003, 01:48 PM
Category: Opinion and Speculation
Link: Is Apple the Lonely Rolls-Royce of the Computer World? (http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22043.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

tazo
Aug 7, 2003, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't put it as the rolls royce, more like the 5 series BMW. A lot of people have them, but they are still marketed as an upscale item, out of the reaches of many, but catering to a certain market.
Also you very rarely see a rich high school or college student with a rolls royce.... ;)

daveL
Aug 7, 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by tazo
I wouldn't put it as the rolls royce, more like the 5 series BMW. A lot of people have them, but they are still marketed as an upscale item, out of the reaches of many, but catering to a certain market.
Also you very rarely see a rich high school or college student with a rolls royce.... ;)
I agree. BMW is a much better analogy, and I believe they have a very similar market share (around 3%). Funny how most folks aren't looking for BMW to die off. Automobiles as a whole are just as much of a commodity as PCs have become. The only difference is that the automobile market isn't driven by a monopoly.

IDTheft
Aug 7, 2003, 05:28 PM
Don't forget too that there is no "network" effect related to cars but there is certainly on with computers. Remember the compatibility problem?

In anycase, Apple is trying their best to iron out most of the major incompatibilities with M$ windblows OS and the more they can do so, the better chance Apple will have with that 3-5% of people who would rather be working/playing with their computer rather than working to fix their computer.

blogo
Aug 7, 2003, 06:38 PM
bmw is so ghetto, audi is a better choice

tazo
Aug 7, 2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Eple

Audi and BMW are basically just like Apple. They are an expensive product that does not cater to everyone's tastes nor financial budget, but the people who own them swear by them and designate theirs fastest, for their needs.

plinkoman
Aug 7, 2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Eple

though i agree that audi is the better choice, and i deffinately prefer them, i wouldn't call bmw ghetto