Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I got an email from a job agency - wondering if I'd be interested in a 'innovative bluechip company' based south of Manchester.

11 jobs, all wanting Microsoft SQL Server, ASP.net, Visual Basic.

It also claims a "Microsoft Certified Expert" would be "to advantage".

Visual Basic isn't a real programming language - there is no point in it. It's awful.

What's a "Microsoft Certified Expert"? I immediately think someone who can send an email using Outlook, or being able to do a 'really big complex relational database in Access'.

I've always been under the impression that UNIX type servers are what real companies use...

What's the script with all this?? I'm puzzled... surely these so-called big companies can't seriously be using Microsoft Products???

JamboUK

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
.....surely these so-called big companies can't seriously be using Microsoft Products???

You are kidding - right? You surely aren't under estimating Microsofts hold in the business market???

On the note about Microsoft Certified Expert - the qualifications mean far more than you imagine..... I suggest you Google for more information to avoid appearing so niave in future.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Lots of companies use Microsoft products. Take a look at craigslists - There's still almost daily posts for Visual Basic 6 developers (which came out around the launch of Windows 98) because a lot of companies have mission-critical systems which are based on really old code. Microsoft offers a lot of tools that make ti easy to do certain tasks. We can argue all day whether or not they're the best method possible - but the fact that Microsoft is as large as they are should indicate to you that people use their products :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.