PDA

View Full Version : Did my PowerBook hard drive just die?

lamina
Aug 22, 2007, 08:58 AM
No sounds, I just get a message on boot.

Booted to restore disk and ran Disk Utility and got this:

Please help!

Edit: Brought it in to my local repair center... good thing I got AppleCare. Anyway, he said they'll just swap it out. I mentioned that a foot fell off the bottom (again), and that the screen is unevenly lit... so let's see what happens!

mad jew
Aug 22, 2007, 09:01 AM
It's not promising, but it may just need to be reformatted. Was there anything on it you need? If you don't replace it, be wary that it may not necessarily be very reliable in future. :o

lamina
Aug 22, 2007, 09:09 AM
Luckily I do weekly redundant backups on to 2 external hard drives... but I hadn't backed up since last week... no huge deal, but ill lose some stuff for sure.

I'm on AppeCare so I'll call and see what our handy local repair depot thinks.

lamina
Aug 22, 2007, 09:23 AM
It doesn't list the hard drive when I go to re-install OS X. Argg.

sushi
Aug 22, 2007, 09:26 AM
Your HD may not have died.

It maybe your logic board, or the part that controls the HD.

Been there done that, got the T-Shirt...Twice with my PB15!

Thank God for Applecare. :)

lamina
Aug 22, 2007, 09:27 AM
Your HD may not have died.

It maybe your logic board, or the part that controls the HD.

Been there done that, got the T-Shirt...Twice with my PB15!

Thank God for Applecare. :)
'
Hmmm think they might magically run out of 17" PB logic boards and have to give me a replacement MBP? Man I'd hate for that to happen...

sushi
Aug 22, 2007, 09:44 AM
Hmmm think they might magically run out of 17" PB logic boards and have to give me a replacement MBP? Man I'd hate for that to happen...
In my case, I was glad to get my PB15 back. While a MBP 15 would have been nice, and they were thinking about it, I preferred to get my PB15 back in working order.

Who knows, you might get lucky.

lamina
Aug 22, 2007, 09:56 AM
Who knows, you might get lucky.

Very doubtful, but like you said I'd just rather have my baby back in working order.. thank God for external storage. All the AHT's have passed... I guess I'll just have to bring it in again. The guys are pretty good, they usually have parts on hand.

Wish me luck!

sushi
Aug 22, 2007, 09:58 AM
Wish me luck!
Luck! :D

psycoswimmer
Aug 22, 2007, 10:01 AM
Good luck! I hope everything gets sorted out soon.

lamina
Aug 23, 2007, 09:32 PM
The new hard drive arrived today, it will be in my computer tomorrow by noon. God I love this place (http://www.mac-outpost.com).