Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

in-ten-city

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
So yesterday I received in the mail my brand spankin new MBP. To say the least - before I even turned it on and plunged into the software, one thing struck me: this is most beautiful peice of equiptment I have ever own. It's design is minimalist yet strikingly elegant, and it is clear that its workmanship was carefully thought out down to the very last detail (with one exception - the inability of the screen to tilt back to a wider angle). Anyways - to the software side of things. After a number of hours tinkering with osx for the first time I found myself fairly impressed with osx. It's speed and ability in multitasking blows away any other computer I have ever used. The design is chique and the functionality is simple yet sophisticated. A couple things annouyed me though - like the lack of a hotkey to completely quit a single window out of a program in which you have a number of windows running (ALT-F4 in windows), and the fact that the scrolling in finder windows does not go at a steady pace and instead speeds up incrementally; this can be useful when trying to get from file 1 to file 232324 but when trying to get from file 1 to file 22 can be very annouying as it's not exact at all. The programs that came installed are for the most part stellar, however the iWork 08' suite which I ordered to come preinstalled was a bit lackluster aside from its exceptional abilities to read word documents while retaining the formatting.

After satisfying my urges to explore every nook and cranny of the mac os I decided to install Windows XP on the machine. The method which I chose to install windows was through bootcamp and then later virtualize the bootcamp installation with virtualization software. Installing in such a manner allowed me to leave both options open of running windows natively and side to side with OSX.

Heading to BootCamp:
The boot camp install was flawless. I downloaded the bootcamp package, ran it, burned the cd, popped in windows, let it do its thing which occasionally pressing next, chose the fat32 partition, clicked next many more times, and next thing I know I have windows up and running on my machine. Windows runs extremely fast on the machine, possibly 8-10 times as fast as on my previous machine - a sony vaio fn690. The install took a while but was flawless, and now windows works perfectly on my machine. I installed the bootcamp drivers and all works fine - keyboard backlights, speakers, usb, cdrom, camera, you name it. I havent tested the built in microphone yet though I hope that works.

One vexation lingered however - how am i supposed to right click? control click does not work in bootcamp and neither does any key combo i tried. After a quick search in google i discovered a utility called applemouse utility (http://www.geocities.com/pronto4u/applemouse.html) which enables the cntrl click as a right click, i popped this program into my startup folder in windows and now im good to go - right clicking works like a charm.

As many may know Windows is prone to viruses which is why I installed Avast - A free virus protection software which provides the same thorough protection as macafee or norton. One thing I noticed was that internet on my wireless network was working faster in windows than it did in mac, I don't know why this is, perhaps one of you can enlighten me.

Now was time to make sure my Mac OSX was still in-tact and unharmed by my windows install. I restarted windows and held down the option key which brough me to the sleek boot camp os selector screen, I chose mac and hit enter and BAM! there she was - OSX, in all her former glory running again on my glorious machine. Something there froze up for like a second, but after that all was a smooth as butter.

Needless to say, I am as happy as a clown on acid and love my new mac despite the several gripes I disclosed above.

In the coming days look for part 2 of this saga - The Fusion of OSX(P): Virtualizing BootCamp :cool:

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I could tell you how to right click in windows ... or how to quit apps from the keyboard but apple covers this so well in the BUILT IN HELP that i thought it would be fun for you to find out yourself.

You could also just google it, but that would mean effort right?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Welcome to the family! :)

Some quickie side comments...

Apple-W closes the active window in 99% of programs
Apple-Q quits the program in 99% of programs

I think you can use a right click by tapping the trackpad with two fingers (instead of one) also (in Windows as well as OS X).

Looking forward to hear part 2! :)

in-ten-city

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I could tell you how to right click in windows ... or how to quit apps from the keyboard but apple covers this so well in the BUILT IN HELP that i thought it would be fun for you to find out yourself.

You could also just google it, but that would mean effort right?

You must have not read what I wrote - I discovered how to right click. And I know that the MacButton + Q closes an app but thats not wat i want to do... read what i wrote....

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
You must have not read what I wrote - I discovered how to right click. And I know that the MacButton + Q closes an app but thats not wat i want to do... read what i wrote....

Amazingly how to close a single app window is also covered in the built in help. Oh and the right click program you are using isn't needed.

You should thank mkrishnan for saving you from having to do any hard work yourself...

Just for fun i googled these. For right click though i needed to search the *gasp*Apple Website. Whodathunkit?

in-ten-city

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Welcome to the family! :)

Some quickie side comments...

Apple-W closes the active window in 99% of programs
Apple-Q quits the program in 99% of programs

I think you can use a right click by tapping the trackpad with two fingers (instead of one) also (in Windows as well as OS X).

Looking forward to hear part 2! :)

two finger method doesnt work (in osx or windows) - i think it has to be enabled somehow - do you know how ?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
two finger method doesnt work (in osx or windows) - i think it has to be enabled somehow - do you know how ?

Also covered in the manual... but since you are lazy...

Personally i'd start off in the preferences part of OSX... you know then maybe to the keyboard and mouse panel... and i'd probably find an option... oh wait yes ... that's where it is... Whodathunkit?

EDIT: I didn't even need to google that...

in-ten-city

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Also covered in the manual... but since you are lazy...

Personally i'd start off in the preferences part of OSX... you know then maybe to the keyboard and mouse panel... and i'd probably find an option... oh wait yes ... that's where it is... Whodathunkit?

EDIT: I didn't even need to google that...

why do you always use such a negative and condensending tone? brighten up a bit! :)

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
why do you always use such a negative and condensending tone? brighten up a bit! :)

Because i dislike laziness! I know all i know by putting the time in to do a few google searchs and do some reading. It usually doesn't take that long.

As you would put it...

Why do you always have to ask such simple questions that a simple search on google or through apples help would answer? Smarten up a bit! :)

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
Because i dislike laziness! I know all i know by putting the time in to do a few google searchs and do some reading. It usually doesn't take that long.

As you would put it...

Why do you always have to ask such simple questions that a simple search on google or through apples help would answer? Smarten up a bit! :)

dude relax. He started a good thread, and sometimes its just a hell of a lot easier to ask a question then spend 10 minutes searching through threads (though i agree the answers to these questions would come up a bit quicker than that!). But anyways, apparently there are people who are more than willing to answer questions that have already been asked, and there are also some people willing to take the time to write a half dozen posts chewing the guy out.

Apple-Q quits programs, Apple-W closes windows, its been like that since I started using macs about 15 years ago I believe.

I also just got a MBP and just installed windows two nights ago, and just now finished installing the VMware demo (i'll probably buy it when the demo runs out). Its a really good integration, very easy to use.

About the right clicking... In OS X you can click a box in the track pad preferences that allows you to right click by either tapping the pad with two fingers, or holding two fingers on the track pad while you click the button. I had that enabled from the start, and right away after I installed Windows under bootcamp, it worked in Windows as well. I'm guessing if you have the option enabled in OS X, it'll work in Windows as well. It also works under Fusion too.

Have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.