Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BennyK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
Appleton, WI
Hi,

When people were concerned about their new iMacs running hot, I downloaded one of the temp. monitoring programs. Mine runs warm but I am not concerned, they were designed to do that. My question is, now that I can monitor the temp inside my computer, what are the guide lines. Like max temps and min max fan speeds? Where would I find this info? It does not do any good to monitor anything if I am not aware of what is "too hot" or what fan is going to slow.

Thanks!
Ben

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
For crying out loud, you will simply not be able to damage your machine through it running too hot.

Apple will have tested and tested and tested the new iMacs for days on end at maximum heat load.

BennyK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
Appleton, WI
For crying out loud, you will simply not be able to damage your machine through it running too hot.

Apple will have tested and tested and tested the new iMacs for days on end at maximum heat load.

Understood and I agree with you. As I stated in my original post, I am not concerned about it overheating. My only question is, now that I have a monitoring program, I am just curious to know what temperature point is to be concerned and what the min/max settings are for the speed. I am not concerned nor do I think my iMac runs too hot, I just am curious at what temperature would be a concern to me.

Kind of like if I was driving on a road, I would like to know the speed limit. I am not concerned with getting a ticket, but it would be nice to know what the speed limit is.

anduril

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
Harrisburg, PA
My only question is, now that I have a monitoring program, I am just curious to know what temperature point is to be concerned and what the min/max settings are for the speed.
For temperatures you should get concerned when the CPU goes over 65c at that point, over 70c is probably a limit and it will start throttling itself to control temps and beyond that it'll shut down.

GPUs will often run anywhere from 70-100c under load.

RRK

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
USA/Ohio/Columbus
Ok, so now someone start working on getting the C2E up to 3.0ghz and the Mobility XT back up to its native speeds. ;)

Currently my hard drive is running hotter then the other components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.