Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
is it worth the extra money?????? does bass really vibrate do the speakers really blast, does it sound good, tell me wat u think

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Okay, first off. What version of iMac are we talking about here?

Secondly, in most cases external speakers can give you much better frequency response than can internal speakers. The external units can (not all do) have acoustically balanced enclosures to ensure proper fidelity. The internal units are compromised to fit inside cases that are designed for a completely different primary purpose.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA

Secondly, in most cases external speakers can give you much better frequency response than can internal speakers. The external units can (not all do) have acoustically balanced enclosures to ensure proper fidelity. The internal units are compromised to fit inside cases that are designed for a completely different primary purpose.

were talking about the newest 24 inch imac

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
Seeing in that the speaker cone is probably around an inch or less in diameter, I doubt your going to get any sort of bass that you can feel.

And I'm not sure I would want a computer/boombox anyways.

Want more volume than the iMac can provide? External Speakers.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA

so, if all i do is gaming, surfing the net, listening to music, make movies, and MAYBE do sumthing creative in garagebnd, will i be okay with the internal speakers

Boulderer2001

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
I use the internal speakers right now and they work fine. They are not going to win awards for sound quality. Listening to my music and movie sounds great. If you are a true audiopile get some external.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I unplugged my cheapy soundsticks the other day, and they sound pretty bad compared to them, and they don't go anywhere as loud.

They aren't terrible, for background music and completely fine for OS and website sounds, but you might want to someday get some external speakers.

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
I have external speakers connected to my iMac, but I did notice before I plugged them in that the speakers in the new iMac sound pretty good. I have a 20" Cinema Display hooked up to the iMac too that I use to watch TV on, so I like the external speakers best. It's odd to watch TV on one display and have the sound coming out of the other. I am inpressed with the quality of the iMac speakers though. Not the best by any means, but certainly an improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.