PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network and printing?

BeeG
Aug 7, 2003, 09:51 PM
I would like to put a wireless network together for my son and his new wife as thy head off to school. The configuration would be:

Two Powerbook computers
One printer (preferably inkjet)
One airport extreme hub

Is it possible to have the printer connected into the network without having to plug a USB wire into one of the computers each time you want to print? Ideally their computers would be free from all wires and the printer itself would be hooked into the network somehow.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Thank you for your help!

Best!
BeeG

MisterMe
Aug 7, 2003, 10:23 PM
I stand corrected!

sparkleytone
Aug 7, 2003, 10:28 PM
the airport extreme base station has a builtin USB port and print server. one of its major selling points IMHO. therefore you wont really need anything else.

applefan
Aug 7, 2003, 11:16 PM
Sparkleytone's comments are correct; however, not all printers are supported. Click here (http://www.apple.com/airport/printcompatibility.html) for a list of supported printers.

Horrortaxi
Aug 7, 2003, 11:37 PM
However, just because a printer isn't on the supported list doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. Mine isn't but it works.

tazo
Aug 8, 2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by BeeG
I would like to put a wireless network together for my son and his new wife as thy head off to school. The configuration would be:

Two Powerbook computers
One printer (preferably inkjet)
One airport extreme hub

Is it possible to have the printer connected into the network without having to plug a USB wire into one of the computers each time you want to print? Ideally their computers would be free from all wires and the printer itself would be hooked into the network somehow.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Thank you for your help!

Best!
BeeG

Just buy a Wireless router from someone reliable like a Linksys or D-link. It will cost MUCH less than the AE base station, and will give you a four port switch as well. They also offer 802.11g models so you can still get 54mbps.

Don't buy the basestation unless your getting it for under 100 dollars, or the price of a better wireless router.

-tazo

Gus
Aug 8, 2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by tazo
Just buy a Wireless router from someone reliable like a Linksys or D-link. It will cost MUCH less than the AE base station, and will give you a four port switch as well. They also offer 802.11g models so you can still get 54mbps.

Don't buy the basestation unless your getting it for under 100 dollars, or the price of a better wireless router.

-tazo

While that may be true, for the unitiated, wireless setup with the AE Basestation is so easy I could teach my technophobe mother how to do it.

Regards,
Gus

tazo
Aug 8, 2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Gus
While that may be true, for the unitiated, wireless setup with the AE Basestation is so easy I could teach my technophobe mother how to do it.

Regards,
Gus

If you are truly good as a teacher than you should be able to explain a non-apple product to a technophobe. Even I seemingly have.

iJon
Aug 8, 2003, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by tazo

-tazo
but for a hundred more dollars he can get the airport extreme base station which has his usb print server built in, which he specifically said he needs. also if the airport is on the same reciept as the powerbook and he ever buys applecare the airport will be covered for 3 years as well. plus the airport base station is a superior product.

iJon

e-coli
Aug 8, 2003, 07:28 AM
forget the other base stations, IMHO. Too complicated. Just get an Airport Ex. Base Station and plug the printer into the USB port on the back. It will work fine.

BeeG
Aug 8, 2003, 09:28 AM
Thank you for all the good advice. I will be buying an Airport Base Station Extreme. It sounds like the perfect solution. Thank you again for all your help!

Best!
BeeG