PDA

View Full Version : How useful is Bluetooth and wireless card?

peterm10
Aug 22, 2007, 10:38 PM
I am going to pick up a MacPro this weekend at an Apple store but if I want the Bluetooth module installed I have to wait a few hours for them to do it after I pay for the machine. I don't have any plans to use the wireless keyboard and don't have any other Bluetooth devices that would connect to my computer, so I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of waiting for the installation (and paying for the Bluetooth module). Also, I plan to connect the MacPro to my internet router via an ethernet cord for the fastest connection, so I don't really see a need for the wireless card (do I need one for my AppleTV or will it work fine if my desktop is connected to the Internet via an ethernet cable?).

Given how difficult it would be for me to install these myself at a later date, I am wondering if I should get them now and have them installed so I am covered if I need to have this functionality in the future.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Peter

SDAVE
Aug 22, 2007, 10:48 PM
I am going to pick up a MacPro this weekend at an Apple store but if I want the Bluetooth module installed I have to wait a few hours for them to do it after I pay for the machine. I don't have any plans to use the wireless keyboard and don't have any other Bluetooth devices that would connect to my computer, so I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of waiting for the installation (and paying for the Bluetooth module). Also, I plan to connect the MacPro to my internet router via an ethernet cord for the fastest connection, so I don't really see a need for the wireless card (do I need one for my AppleTV or will it work fine if my desktop is connected to the Internet via an ethernet cable?).

Given how difficult it would be for me to install these myself at a later date, I am wondering if I should get them now and have them installed so I am covered if I need to have this functionality in the future.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Peter

It's worth it. It's only $60 or so.

What if you move your computer somewhere and don't want to pull an ethernet wire?
Bluetooth is becoming a defacto standard, so maybe your printer will have it in the future...no wires :)

Also the Apple keyboard/mouse is also wireless...

thejadedmonkey
Aug 22, 2007, 10:55 PM
Bluetooth can be added at a later date via USB. Airport isn't so easy. In my useless opinion, I'd get both. Just because you're right near an eathernet cable right now doesn't mean you always will be. Especially if you plan on keeping the machine for the next 5 years.

Bluetooth.. not as important, but it's still a nice feature. When I got my mini, I never used bluetooth, but I spent the extra for it anyway. 2 years later there are phones, printers, cameras, and who knows what else that uses bluetooth that I can use. Do you need it now? No... but that's not to say that in 5 years you won't regret not getting it.

All in all, you're spending thousands on a new computer, what's another hundred on the latest connectivity standards?

mad jew
Aug 22, 2007, 10:57 PM
Also the Apple keyboard/mouse is also wireless...

The machine comes with the standard wired version of said keyboard and mouse. Nevertheless, I still think AirPort and Bluetooth are worth getting. :)

hayduke
Aug 22, 2007, 11:02 PM
Just another thought about wireless...

At work I'm on a wired network for my Mac Pro, but I use the wireless card for wireless internet sharing for my PowerBook. Not a common thing to do, but it works nicely.

Also, you never know if you'll want a BT headset, keyboard, mouse, iPhone, ...

I'd get it. Don't be impatient.

aaronw1986
Aug 22, 2007, 11:29 PM
Get it, you may use it in the future.

Quboid
Aug 22, 2007, 11:36 PM
I love bluetooth. Its just comes in handy when you least expect it. And you WILL find use for that wireless card. I would ge them both.

Mackilroy
Aug 23, 2007, 12:47 AM
Definitely grab the Airport card – if you don't want Bluetooth right away, it's ridiculously easy to install – just plug the card in, connect the cable, and you're set. Takes less than five minutes.