PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the 1 GHz 15" PB or the 2 GHz G5


powermac99
Aug 8, 2003, 01:22 AM
I'm planning to upgrade to either a 2 GHz G5 or a 15" PB, anyone have any thoughts on the issue?

therevolution
Aug 8, 2003, 01:36 AM
I could assume portability means nothing to you, and vote A.

I could assume portability means everything to you, and vote B.

I'm sorry for posting "something else," but I don't think that's the best way to decide such a big purchase.

tazo
Aug 8, 2003, 04:00 AM
wait a bit longer to see if they update the 15 pb at all. then decide if u want power or portability.

may i ask what u do?

edesignuk
Aug 8, 2003, 04:38 AM
Yeah, with no info on what you'd want from the machine it's hard to say. Of course the DP2GHz G5 will p*ss all over a 1GHz G4 laptop, but if you want to edit on the move then the G5 would be useless!

actionslacks
Aug 8, 2003, 12:29 PM
This is not an A or B question.

Depends on what you are editing on now. What system? What kind of content are you editing?

Editing video on a laptop is not ideal yet unless you HAVE to be away from your main system. Offline and DV will be okay, but it is not ideal as a primary system. If you need to render anything, do any titling, or work with any uncompressed media you will want a desktop based system.

FCP 4 runs really well on a Dual 1.25 G4 so maybe you could get one of those, save some cash, and then get a powerbook in 6 months or so.

powermac99
Aug 8, 2003, 04:09 PM
I have a dual 1.42 GHz PowerMac G4 and a 12" PowerBook G4.

edesignuk
Aug 8, 2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by powermac99
I have a dual 1.42 GHz PowerMac G4 and a 12" PowerBook G4.
Great, that doesn't answer our question of what do you actually need :rolleyes: Do you need portability etc?

tazo
Aug 8, 2003, 05:29 PM
if you can afford the 2ghz g5 get it and then buy a tibook down the road later.

solvs
Aug 8, 2003, 08:58 PM
Get the G5. The PowerBooks, even the new ones (whenever they come out), won't be much faster than what you have now. I know as a video editor, speed counts, so the desktop would be the best, and the 'Book you have will suit your needs for a while.

Have you considered selling them both? Or is that how you're getting the money for the new computer? A little more info would help.

crazzyeddie
Aug 8, 2003, 09:16 PM
Dual 2ghz if you already have 12" and Dual 1.24.

powermac99
Aug 8, 2003, 09:29 PM
I've decided to get the G5.

actionslacks
Aug 9, 2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by powermac99
I've decided to get the G5.

Well that was an interesting exercise. You have 2 very new computers (The fastest G4 available and a very effcient notebook) and you can't decide what to buy next?!?!?!?!

Being in the Post Production industry myself, I find it hard to believe that you are a professional video editor. You can't come up with any criteria for why you would need new gear? The rest of us rely on our gear for a living and make educated purchasing decisions based on very specific needs.

At any rate, you are either full of ****** or you must have a lot of expendable cash.

But in case you don't, I think it would be in your best interest to wait until the beginning of next year. The G5 PowerMacs will be using faster processors, there will be a better indication of when a g5 Powerbook will be arriving, your current computers will still be really fast, and will maintain considerable trade in value.