PDA

View Full Version : 802.11b vs. 802.11g?


jaser
Aug 8, 2003, 01:49 AM
i have an emac 1ghz as well as a powermac g4 1ghz. both will accept an airport extreme card. so i understand now if i wanted to share/transfer files, printers, i would benefit from an 11g router but as far as a cox cable modem connection goes, 11g speed i will not benefit from because the max download/upload for cable modem is 3Mbps correct? also, will i need airport cards or can i just connect via ethernet to the router? thanks!

MacBandit
Aug 8, 2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by jaser
i have an emac 1ghz as well as a powermac g4 1ghz. both will accept an airport extreme card. so i understand now if i wanted to share/transfer files, printers, i would benefit from an 11g router but as far as a cox cable modem connection goes, 11g speed i will not benefit from because the max download/upload for cable modem is 3Mbps correct? also, will i need airport cards or can i just connect via ethernet to the router? thanks!

If you can run ethernet run ethernet. Standard ethernet off a router is 100Mb/s. So when you want to transfer files from one computer to the next it will go much much faster.

patrick0brien
Aug 8, 2003, 12:36 PM
-jaser

I agree with MacBandit, only go wireless when you really need to. There just isn't any substitute for wired if you can do it.

TEG
Aug 8, 2003, 01:04 PM
Plus...
You have several options...

1) Buy Airport-X for Both and use the wireless router, the router will not be limited by the cable, because the router is seperate.
2)Buy Airport-X but not the wireless router. Hook up your Cable modem one of the computers, and use Computer to Computer Airport Networking to surf on the other, and transfer files a maximum speed.
3)Do the whole thing wired. connect both computer up to the hub, you'll get a maximum of 10Mb/s from the Cable, but 100+ between the computers.

That seems to be the entire option for you. Pick the one that suites you best.

TEG

Powerbook G5
Aug 8, 2003, 01:17 PM
Wired is definitely the cheaper and faster way to go as far as networking, but as far as using AP vs APE, there will be no difference in internet speed since the modem won't be fast enough to max the bandwidth of either spec.

tazo
Aug 8, 2003, 09:03 PM
I wonder what percentage of mac users using wireless know that you dont have to pay the overpriced price of AE...

sky131
Aug 9, 2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by tazo
I wonder what percentage of mac users using wireless know that you dont have to pay the overpriced price of AE...

This might be correct in terms of surfing the web on a cable or DSL connection, but not true for transferring files wirelessly on your LAN.

Interestingly, I have a 17" PB with Airport Extreme in it and I browse the web faster wirelessly than by friend with a 15" PB with regular Airport. This in on the same wireless network.

tazo
Aug 9, 2003, 03:06 AM
If you can write that coherently maybe I can in turn write a coherent response.

-tazo

jaser
Aug 9, 2003, 09:53 AM
thanks for your replies! i am finally up w/ cox cable modem. the guy installed the modem yesterday. now i'm just wondering if there's any settings i need to change on my mac? or is everything good to go now? i'm going to pick up another ethernet cable so i can connect the emac to the wireless router. thanks!

sky131
Aug 9, 2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by tazo
If you can write that coherently maybe I can in turn write a coherent response.

-tazo

Ok, I guess I had better dumb it down for you then. Extreme's speed is good for moving porn from your step-dad's computer to your computer because you can use all the speed. Otherwise, if you are only surfing the net to look at naked guys you don't get any real speed increase. All meaning less boobies for tazo.