Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
what a great story. hopefully with all this success apple can team up with AOL and make AOL and AIM iSight compatible as well as being able to communicate no matter if you have a mac or windows machine. and then once again apple will have set another standard.

iJon

Bendit

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Sure iChat is great but have some of these people never seen video conferencing software before?

Sure iChat is easy but Msn messenger and yahoo! messenger have had ridiculously easy video conferencing for the past few years. And there are actually people who use those messengers.

I am the only person I know who has a mac, everyone else I know is using a PC so iChat is completely worthless to me. I don't even know anyone who uses AIM.

I know Apple doesn't want to directly support other IM networks but they should people develop plugins for iChat to add connectivity to other networks.

There are rumours that the ICQ and AIM networks will completely merge (they are kinda merged right now) so let AIM users add ICQ users and so forth. Then iChat will become useful for me since I know many people who use ICQ. Here's hoping that iChat will support icq.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Well, I for one can see the use of this right off the bat - how about being able to rebroadcast simultaneously the video feed from a Stevenote being broadcast only on satellite? just route the video and audio out from the sat box into ichat and voila - instant broadcasting. Neato! woulda been great for wwdc...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm getting an iSight in a week or so - can't wait!!!

I have a friend who's got a camera hooked up, but when I'm on iChat I can't see the video. Do you have to have a video camera on both sides for this to work?

D

dotcomlarry

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Akron, PA
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I'm getting an iSight in a week or so - can't wait!!!

I have a friend who's got a camera hooked up, but when I'm on iChat I can't see the video. Do you have to have a video camera on both sides for this to work?

D

No, you don't. The other party can choose to do a one-way video stream... provided you have broadband.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I would prefer that Apple didn't hook up with AOL. Maybe they could link up with Earthlink, Comcast, or Sprint?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
bad part about that is both computers stil have to be a 600Mhz G3 or better. it must suck ti have 5ooMhz.
there is a little app on versiontracker which will let you use it with computers that dont meet the requirments as well use usb webcams.

iJon

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by wdlove
I would prefer that Apple didn't hook up with AOL. Maybe they could link up with Earthlink, Comcast, or Sprint?

well, love it or hate it, aol has a HUGE subscriber base - and pushing apple products in front of an audience of that size just makes sense.

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
Originally posted by Mudbug
well, love it or hate it, aol has a HUGE subscriber base - and pushing apple products in front of an audience of that size just makes sense.

That is very true. There are both AOL subscriber clients and then the free AIM software... put those together and you've got a sh*tload of people... I don't even know anyone that uses any of the other ones... (if they do, they use aim too).

If AOL made videoconferencing avalible that was based on iChat, they would be able to connect PC and Mac users as well as bring more people to their service...

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
well, another possibility is apple could make iChat AV for windows. they are already making iTunes, why not other iApps? just not all of them though, because then there would be no reason to switch. it's like saying, hey, you can have these 2 apps if you stay with windows, but if you switch, you can have all of these apps.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
well, another possibility is apple could make iChat AV for windows. they are already making iTunes, why not other iApps? just not all of them though, because then there would be no reason to switch. it's like saying, hey, you can have these 2 apps if you stay with windows, but if you switch, you can have all of these apps.

an interesting idea, but in terms of market penetration tehy mgiht be better off pushing an update to AIM as an Apple IChat compatibility update, because the majority of users would rather stick with AIM, and it would only provide more fuel to the fire for mac-haters if AIM and ichat were not cross-compatible in terms of a/v services, but instead required an apple program without all the functionality of aim...if it were free people would fire it up for a/v chat but only on broadband, and only those who wanted two versions of aim, and only those with compatible peecees and webcams. and if it were a paid program it would die because no one would pay for what they could essentially get for free. (granted, most of that stuff no one needs or uses, but profiles and reading away messages and stuff is a big enough thing for aim users that it ouwld kill ichat for windows)
just my .02
carly

kibit

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Illinois
requirements

bad part about that is both computers stil have to be a 600Mhz G3 or better. it must suck ti have 5ooMhz.

Not true! I have a G4 400mhz sawtooth w/512RAM and the isight camera works great for videoconferencing. I will say that it was too slow to do a broadcast, but I did manage to make a video email.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: requirements

Originally posted by kibit
Not true! I have a G4 400mhz sawtooth w/512RAM and the isight camera works great for videoconferencing. I will say that it was too slow to do a broadcast, but I did manage to make a video email.

the requirement is a 600mhz g3 ;) not just 600mhz in general...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.