Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Hey all.

Something for you to ponder on.

is it at all possible to plug in a Playstation 2 (or other such device for that matter) into an iMac (specifically a 20" C2D iMac that was available right before the new aluminium ones came out!) to use the iMac screen for the PS2?

Basically I've moved into my new flat but don't have a TV, and don't intend to get one if I can help it. I do have my iMac however, which I plan to buy a TV tuner for in the future. But the girlfriend and I are thining about getting a PS2, but have nowhere to plug it into, but being as it has such a nice large 20" screen, it seems a waste not to use what the iMac can offer...if at all possible.

Currently my line of thinking is going down the path of getting a video capture device to plug into the iMac over USB, which the PS2 could then plug into...but could that be put into full screen mode? just like a normal screen would be for a PS2?

All comments and discussions welcome!

You'll have to bare with me if I don't respond for a while, I'm having to use my local library for Internet as I'm having a right pain getting broadband in my flat.

Cheers.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Hey all.

Something for you to ponder on.

is it at all possible to plug in a Playstation 2 (or other such device for that matter) into an iMac (specifically a 20" C2D iMac that was available right before the new aluminium ones came out!) to use the iMac screen for the PS2?

Basically I've moved into my new flat but don't have a TV, and don't intend to get one if I can help it. I do have my iMac however, which I plan to buy a TV tuner for in the future. But the girlfriend and I are thining about getting a PS2, but have nowhere to plug it into, but being as it has such a nice large 20" screen, it seems a waste not to use what the iMac can offer...if at all possible.

Currently my line of thinking is going down the path of getting a video capture device to plug into the iMac over USB, which the PS2 could then plug into...but could that be put into full screen mode? just like a normal screen would be for a PS2?

All comments and discussions welcome!

You'll have to bare with me if I don't respond for a while, I'm having to use my local library for Internet as I'm having a right pain getting broadband in my flat.

Cheers.

You can get Elgato's EyeTV Hybrid. Allows you to watch TV on your Mac as well as connect any video device, game consoles, VCR's and camcorders with zero latency.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
You can get Elgato's EyeTV Hybrid. Allows you to watch TV on your Mac as well as connect any video device, game consoles, VCR's and camcorders with zero latency.

i was looking at that the other day but couldnt find the info if they were available with an HDMI port. Anybody know?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
i was looking at that the other day but couldnt find the info if they were available with an HDMI port. Anybody know?

Oh,you didn't mention anything about an HDMI hook up in either your posting or your post title.

jf8

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
This is a bad idea. The latency will be bad for video games (yes, the product description says "virtually" no latency and "zero" latency, but there will still be some latency). Any games where timing is useful (like rhythm games) will have issues unless they can compensate for it.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
This is a bad idea. The latency will be bad for video games (yes, the product description says "virtually" no latency and "zero" latency, but there will still be some latency). Any games where timing is useful (like rhythm games) will have issues unless they can compensate for it.

There was NO latency at all on my EyeTV Hybrid..

I have had my Wii and N64 hooked up.

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
I just got the eyetv hybrid with the intention of conecting a ps2 and I now have it all set up. On my Macbook it works brillianty. If there is any latency I haven't really noticed it. Me and my friends were playing Area 51 and THUG for hours yesterday. It was awesome. One thing I would say though, when you put it full screen it isn't quite full full screen if you get me. On my Macbook it is perfectly playable but your iMac will have a higher resoulution. I just took some screen shots for you, the first one is with it at its native size, the second is full screen.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
I just got the eyetv hybrid with the intention of conecting a ps2 and I now have it all set up. On my Macbook it works brillianty. If there is any latency I haven't really noticed it. Me and my friends were playing Area 51 and THUG for hours yesterday. It was awesome. One thing I would say though, when you put it full screen it isn't quite full full screen if you get me. On my Macbook it is perfectly playable but your iMac will have a higher resoulution. I just took some screen shots for you, the first one is with it at its native size, the second is full screen.

how did you make your dock like that?

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Here is some golf I was watching in 720p

picture2kb8.png

picture3dj8.png

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Wow that looks more like in-game footage on Tiger Woods 08 or something rather than TV...

Looks amazing.

Off topic ...

That statement above is a testament to how far video games have come. Back in the day, saying the reverse (Wow! That's a game, it looks just like TV!) would indicate that the game had great graphics.

Now, video games look more real than TV.

Just struck me as funny.

ft

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Being able to use an iMac as a second monitor would make me less hesitant about the all-in-one design. For some reason on laptops it's fine, because the main purpose is portability I guess, but on iMacs I'd feel less trapped if I knew when I get a new machine I could still use it as a monitor. Especially getting the big 24".

I also ran into the difficulty of the Cinema Displays not supporting an analog signal. I couldn't connect my xbox even though I was using a VGA->DVI adapter. Turns out the displays don't support analog over DVI.

Just had to chime in... I hope Apple supports these things eventually.

EyeTV only supporting composite is unfortunate.

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
To the person who asked about RAM ( I assume that you were directing that at me ) I have 2gb and yes I can watch TV and use safari and bittorrent at the same time. I haven't tried using MSN at the same time but I don't think you would have issues.

If in the near future anyone does find a way to input HD to a Macbook then please post a bulletin saying so b/c that would be great. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.