PDA

View Full Version : A Walking Advertisement

katie ta achoo
Aug 23, 2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

By my calculations, Apple owes me at least a couple grand.

No, no, hear me out! I have a perfectly thought-out, impeccable line of thought to go with this assertion.

Every single time I get out my iPhone to do something mundane like make a call or check the traffic, I always get people asking me about it.

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/23/a-walking-advertisement/)

isoS
Aug 23, 2007, 09:56 AM
Didn't MacRumors buy you the iphone and aren't they paying your bill for a year? That gets you to about $1800. ;)

xyian
Aug 23, 2007, 09:57 AM
See what happens when you have to have something before most of the sheep? I think Apple should have a price structure according to how long you've been loyal....

Maybe that's why Apple are such sticklers for design. If you make something so outrageously stylish then people are going to ask you about it.

iEric
Aug 23, 2007, 10:06 AM
...or you could just tell them it's an amazing phone with awesome features, show them what's on your screen at the moment and walk away. You're not obligated to stay there for 5 minutes to show them a demo. Tell them to go to an Apple Store.

waterbouy
Aug 23, 2007, 10:08 AM
I showcase Apple technology quite frequently as well, though not an iPhone.

My spouse helps me with the smally pants issue. Regular cleansing, change of clothese every now and again.

Someday, Katie, perhaps you too will know this joy.

Just a nerd

PlaceofDis
Aug 23, 2007, 10:10 AM
i've done it a few times in the short time i've had mine as well. and i remember doing the same with my 3rd gen iPod too when i first got that and no one knew what an iPod was.

although, you can also have the opposite reaction from some people.
my gf got attitude from two of her friends when they saw that she had an iphone. jealousy? apple haters? (well one of them has a MBP so i guess not that one) who knows.

Texas04
Aug 23, 2007, 10:10 AM
In fact, yes!

After I bought my Mac, my entire house went Mac in less then a year!

Then a few friends

And more friends...

and more...

and more!!!

I would have to say its the fact that we use our Macs and iPhones as a real add on to our lives! People always joked that my MBP was permanently attached to my hip... (I wear a laptop bag some places). But now, everything I used to do with my laptop here and there, is now available from the iPhone! with the exception of IM (natively). And that ability just makes us happy, and the awesome design just makes us go crazy, and goo goo ga ga! :)

shecky
Aug 23, 2007, 10:15 AM
speaking of being owed something, considering MR bought and paid for the iphone based on 5 blog posts per week (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3880806&postcount=84), and i have only counted 16 posts in 7.5 weeks, by my calculations, i would say we are owed another 20 posts or so by sunday.

LimeiBook86
Aug 23, 2007, 10:18 AM
I think it's only natural that most Apple/Mac users tend to show off their computers or gadgets to others because they like them so much.

Showing other people the cool and new things that their Mac, iPod or iPhone could do to somebody else sometimes convinces them to go out and get one for themselves.

But, then again some people just like to show off... :p

gauchogolfer
Aug 23, 2007, 10:20 AM
speaking of being owed something, considering MR bought and paid for the iphone based on 5 blog posts per week (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3880806&postcount=84), and i have only counted 16 posts in 7.5 weeks, by my calculations, i would say we are owed another 20 posts or so by sunday.

Please let's not start going 'round in circles about this again. The financial side of this is between Arn and Katie. Let's just leave them be.

shecky
Aug 23, 2007, 10:25 AM
The financial side of this is between Arn and Katie.

no it isn't; arn revealed it publicly of his own free will. all i am saying is that the original blog post is HIGHLY ironic in consideration of the other facts :)

Arantxa
Aug 23, 2007, 10:27 AM
We're like some kind of drunken Buddhist cult, methinks.

Look! I'm happy with my awesome technology! Why don't I show you how to be happy, too! It's great!

I guess that makes Jobs Buddha. :rolleyes:

earnjam
Aug 23, 2007, 10:28 AM
no it isn't; arn revealed it publicly of his own free will. all i am saying is that the original blog post is HIGHLY ironic in consideration of the other facts.

I agree that it is pretty funny.

I guess she doesn't have to post if she doesn't mind turning the phone over to MR in 6 months.

I don't really care about the compensation or whatnot, but I would like to see more posts from Katie. I've enjoyed reading them.

TheAnswer
Aug 23, 2007, 10:32 AM
Please let's not start going 'round in circles about this again. The financial side of this is between Arn and Katie. Let's just leave them be.

Agreed...although Arn made it known publicly, he has also stated that the details/specifics are between the two of them.

Who knows, maybe Arn still has a backload of Katie blogs in the pipeline, maybe she's supplementing her blog posts with shipments of yummy cupcakes or perhaps even doing some part-time hand modeling for him?

arn
Aug 23, 2007, 10:34 AM
no it isn't; arn revealed it publicly of his own free will. all i am saying is that the original blog post is HIGHLY ironic in consideration of the other facts :)

yes please give the financial side a rest. It's been done. tomorrow, I may decide to spend money on ice, rather than make my own... and there's nothing you can do about it. :)

arn

shecky
Aug 23, 2007, 10:44 AM
it's rested :) just been on my mind lately is all.

back to the point of the original post, it is kind of annoying when people have technolust over your stuff, but its kind of that cool annoyingness. what i think is uncompensated advertising is when a car dealership puts their emblem on your car; i always be sure to let them know that i am happy to let them keep it on there for a reasonable advertising fee. usually they agree to take it off instead :)

McCarron
Aug 23, 2007, 10:55 AM
yes please give the financial side a rest. It's been done. tomorrow, I may decide to spend money on ice, rather than make my own... and there's nothing you can do about it. :)

I can sell you some highly discounted ice if you are interested! ;)

I have to agree with Katie too, I seem to give a LOT of demos. I also find allowing the users to resize images with the pinch almost ALWAYS gets them to be amazed. I don't mind giving demos, but I usually warn them they may want one if I do. I have directly caused another 4 people to go out to buy an iPhone.

I also did this with the iPod before this, and since I bought the first MacBook Pro as my official switch back to Mac I've gotten at least 5 people to buy a Mac, and many more planning to.

I give demos regularly, and I see more and more people interested in Apple and their products everyday.

AppleFanboi
Aug 23, 2007, 11:13 AM
I want Apple to start a referral program. I know I have directly sold at least 20 iPhones in the last month and a half as well as over 100 Macs. If the Apple stores weren't so damn far away, I really would just quit my job to work there full-time. If the employees work on commission, I'd be rich!

marshalljones
Aug 23, 2007, 11:15 AM
So far, both my bosses have bought an iPhone after playing with mine, and my dentist is seriously considering it.

I have been asked many, many times to demonstrate my phone to complete strangers. I remember being out for a drink at a local pub with a two friends. We were in the middle of conversation when a 50 - 60 yr old lady (nice lady though) asked me, "is that the new iPhone?" (pointing at my phone laying on the table). I replied, "yes". She then asked if they could see it. I didn't mind so I said "sure". Then her entire table (around 6 people including a 60 - 70 yr old grandpa) pulled their chairs around my table and the demo began.

A few nights later at another bar upon seeing my friends all playing with my phone at my table, I had a group of college students yell across the bar, "Hey, iPhone guy!" At which I raised my phone as to say "yeah, yeah". Then they came over to interrogate me about it ... in a good way.

My dentist, upon seeing my phone, stopped working on my crown, started asking me to demo it, and then asked the entire dentistry staff to come into the room and have me demo it to them.

The biggest frustration with the iPhone isn't the keyboard. It's the fact that you can't simply use your phone anymore. Either people are intrigued by it and ask you a bunch of questions and request a demo, or they act like you're showing off when you simply want to take a call so you have to conceal the fact that you have it. And they don't refer to it as your phone or your cell phone ... they refer to it as your iPhone.

corywoolf
Aug 23, 2007, 11:35 AM
i've done it a few times in the short time i've had mine as well. and i remember doing the same with my 3rd gen iPod too when i first got that and no one knew what an iPod was.

although, you can also have the opposite reaction from some people.
my gf got attitude from two of her friends when they saw that she had an iphone. jealousy? apple haters? (well one of them has a MBP so i guess not that one) who knows.

Same here, I remember on the bus when all the kids with cd players were asking what I was holding and why I didn't have a cool pair of headphones? At the time the wrap around (back of head) headphones were the standard. I tried keeping it on the low down because I had spent part of the money I made over the summer on it ($499). Those were the days... back when the iPod was a big deal to me, and I used it almost all day at high-school. I didn't take the iPod for granted back then and had so much more appreciation for it. Now I don't think twice about the tech I am using.

Bernie-Mac
Aug 23, 2007, 12:07 PM
So far, both my bosses have bought an iPhone after playing with mine, and my dentist is seriously considering it.

I have been asked many, many times to demonstrate my phone to complete strangers. I remember being out for a drink at a local pub with a two friends. We were in the middle of conversation when a 50 - 60 yr old lady (nice lady though) asked me, "is that the new iPhone?" (pointing at my phone laying on the table). I replied, "yes". She then asked if they could see it. I didn't mind so I said "sure". Then her entire table (around 6 people including a 60 - 70 yr old grandpa) pulled their chairs around my table and the demo began.

A few nights later at another bar upon seeing my friends all playing with my phone at my table, I had a group of college students yell across the bar, "Hey, iPhone guy!" At which I raised my phone as to say "yeah, yeah". Then they came over to interrogate me about it ... in a good way.

My dentist, upon seeing my phone, stopped working on my crown, started asking me to demo it, and then asked the entire dentistry staff to come into the room and have me demo it to them.

The biggest frustration with the iPhone isn't the keyboard. It's the fact that you can't simply use your phone anymore. Either people are intrigued by it and ask you a bunch of questions and request a demo, or they act like you're showing off when you simply want to take a call so you have to conceal the fact that you have it. And they don't refer to it as your phone or your cell phone ... they refer to it as your iPhone.

The same thing always happens to me, and one time i got pretty annoyed cuz in the mall with my girlfriend literally 7 seperate people came up to me asking about it so by the time the 8th person came up and was like "Hey is that the iphone how do you like it?" i replied "Its horrible and i feel like an idiot for being stuck with this for 2 years" and walked away.....also, i too notice myself not using phone anymore i always say "my iphone"

TheNumberOneFan
Aug 23, 2007, 12:10 PM
:apple:

i've sold 2 iphones and probably 4 mac's

it's a pretty sweet feeling to do some good for apple

TheNumberOneFan
Aug 23, 2007, 12:13 PM
Same here, I remember on the bus when all the kids with cd players were asking what I was holding and why I didn't have a cool pair of headphones? At the time the wrap around (back of head) headphones were the standard. I tried keeping it on the low down because I had spent part of the money I made over the summer on it ($499). Those were the days... back when the iPod was a big deal to me, and I used it almost all day at high-school. I didn't take the iPod for granted back then and had so much more appreciation for it. Now I don't think twice about the tech I am using.

same here, I had the 2nd GEN one, missed out on the sweet 1st model, i didn't have enough money at the time..

those were the days, I'm pretty sure me and my friend at that time were the only people in my 2500 student highschool to have ipods.

now i bet 4/5 of them have a form of iPod

chr1s60
Aug 23, 2007, 12:14 PM
Hmmm. I have purchased an iMac, 2 iPods, an iPhone, and countless Apple accessories for myself over the past few years. I have also convinced my friends to buy an iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro. On top of the computers I have convinced about 8 people to buy $300 iPods. This does not mean I am owed commission. If Apple offered, I would certainly accept, but simply using or talking about a product you have purchased does not mean you are owed money. That is just like saying that because you bought a Nike shirt that says Nike, you are owed money for wearing it around town where others see it. If companies paid us for using and wearing their products they would make no money. As far as Apple goes, I am glad that I am able to spread the experience of their products to new people because I like the company.

It would be pretty cool if Apple had some type of referral program for their products though. Something where if you referred someone for a computer, you get $40 or some type of Apple Store discount. This could be useful for all their products.

earnjam
Aug 23, 2007, 12:55 PM
I started my switch to Apple about 5 years ago when I bought my first iPod. Since then, I've bought myself a Macbook Pro another iPod and an iPhone. My family has bought 8 other iPods and we just got my mother a Macbook.

When I got the iPod, everyone was asking me what it was and I was more than happy to show them how great it was. I tell anyone that will listen how wonderful the computers are. Now that I have my iPhone, I really do feel like an Apple salesman. Anyone asks the simplest of questions and I give them the whole demonstration on its features and explain how happy I am with it.

I guess there is just something about products that make me so happy that I just want to share that with everyone. I want anyone I know to be as pleased with their technology as I am. I'm happy to do be a spokesman of Apple products, if only because they have been so good to me. Some sort of a referral program would be pretty cool though. (But I don't even think they need it! We're all happy to refer our friends for free!)

Sesshi
Aug 23, 2007, 12:58 PM
By the same token, Apple owes me about half a million.

While everyone I work with with whom I initially switched with (we all suffered temporary insanity as a result of the Job's Distortion Field, we prefer not to talk about it between each other) have cast their Macs aside, anyone who I don't consider mentally agile enough to master a Windows PC gets recommended a Mac desk/laptop. I've switched lots of people - either as a fait accompli or through recommendations. And they're happy, which is all that matters.

However all I've got out of the deal so far is a 'free' iMac and some hard-fought discounts.

BVGuitarPlayer
Aug 23, 2007, 01:05 PM
Biggest problem with your argument:

Apple employees, retail and otherwise do not work on a commission.

Apple owes you nothing. I sell about 5 Apple computers per day with printers, ipods, applecare, you name it..... get nothing but my hourly pay.

Doctor Q
Aug 23, 2007, 01:10 PM
I've convinced friends, coworkers, and relatives to go Mac. So maybe Katie has a good point that we ought to be compensated.

How much of a commission should I get for each Mac I've talked schools into buying? It's now over 500 Macs, so even a small commission would add up to a nice total. I recently convinced a new "only Windows PCs will do" school administrator to approve continued Mac purchases (another few dozen on order), so I've certainly worked to earn my commission.

Of course, we aren't recommending Apple products in order to help Steve Jobs pay his living expenses. We're recommending them because we want to help people get the best product they can for their money. So perhaps the people we refer to Apple should pay us a commission too!

Apple employees, retail and otherwise do not work on a commission. ... I sell about 5 Apple computers per day with printers, ipods, applecare, you name it..... get nothing but my hourly pay.OK, I'll accept an hourly rate! :)

shadowboxer
Aug 23, 2007, 01:11 PM
Every person I show the iphone to is enchanted with it. But, even bigger is what it has done to my attitude towards apple in general. Apple, through the iphone is going to get a lot of new business.

I am a non-apple person. I have 3 desktop and 3 notebook windows computers. I was in line at AT&T the day of the iphone launch.

I now have a MacBook and a Mac Pro with 30" moniter and am running my "must-have" programs virutualized under Parallels 3.0.

I am an apple convert for good.....I now preach openly Apple like a good apple fan-boy:)

gdesalvo@umail.
Aug 23, 2007, 01:11 PM
The same thing always happens to me, and one time i got pretty annoyed cuz in the mall with my girlfriend literally 7 seperate people came up to me asking about it so by the time the 8th person came up and was like "Hey is that the iphone how do you like it?" i replied "Its horrible and i feel like an idiot for being stuck with this for 2 years" and walked away.....also, i too notice myself not using phone anymore i always say "my iphone"

I use the apple headphones with the built in mic. People think im using an iPod and having a full blown conversation with myself. I often get stared at like I'm crazy and snicker about it. Its a good way to use your iPhone on stealth
mode.

Oh and of you want some return buy some aapl stock!

DavisNYC
Aug 23, 2007, 01:43 PM
Since Apple has no compensation program, their stock can compensate you nicely over the long run.

So continue spreading the word, and stockholders will gain.

I have 100 shares i've been holding onto since mid-2006, and have made a nice bundle since.

mozmac
Aug 23, 2007, 02:18 PM
My numbers aren't as high as some people on here, but I have an ongoing list on my computer people that I've directly and indirectly "converted" to the Mac. (I have my reasons for doing this:)) That list is well over 20, and some of those people were years ago, meaning that they've purchased multiple Macs and talked others into purchasing. I've always wished there was a way I could get a cut. If only Apple were a multi-level marketing company. :cool: no no no

blueflame
Aug 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
can this be my sig?
HA

Look! I'm happy with my awesome technology! Why don't I show you how to be happy, too! It's great!

mustang_dvs
Aug 23, 2007, 02:50 PM
I'd estimate that I've done this at least 2 dozen times. Let's say about 5 minutes per demo, times 24 demos, that's 120 minutes. Two hours of free advertising!

And depending where you live, that's about $20 that you've earned (before taxes), assuming AppleInsider's info on Apple Retail salaries are true.

By the same token, Apple owes me about half a million.

[...]

However all I've got out of the deal so far is a 'free' iMac and some hard-fought discounts.

Everybody seems to think that they're owed something, whether a reward for being "smart" or compensation for being an "enthusiast/evangelist".

Apple owes you nothing. I sell about 5 Apple computers per day with printers, ipods, applecare, you name it..... get nothing but my hourly pay.

According to the NDA that you signed when you were hired, posting to a board like MacRumors can get you fired. It doesn't matter what you're posting about -- it's a blanket policy. (We developers, on the other hand, only get dinged if we post about ADC-exclusive materials.)

I've convinced friends, coworkers, and relatives to go Mac. So maybe Katie has a good point that we ought to be compensated.If you want to get paid for selling Macs, go apply at your local Apple Store.

Sheesh, I've been "selling" Macs for years -- I've never gotten paid for it, but you don't hear me bellyaching about it.

Do you people also expect that Coke should put you on payroll when you convince a friend to stop drinking Pepsi; do you make your friends and family members pay you a gratuity when you recommend a menu item at a restaurant; do you write letters to film studios demanding a portion of the box office grosses when you suggest that someone go see a film that you liked?

Conversely, you don't have to walk around with your iPhone/iPod/MacBook Pro/etc on display -- you can be discreet and still use them. Once I grew tired of being asked to see my iPod (I bought a 1st Gen within a week of them going on sale and the white headphones attracted a lot of attention on the DC metro), I figured out very quickly how to blend into the crowd when I didn't want to be bothered.

If you want the attention that comes with showing off the newest gadget on the block, then don't complain and don't expect to be rewarded for your bleeding-edginess, either.

If you want to be an evangelist/enthusiast (I am certainly one), more power to you, but don't be obnoxious or elitist.

mustang_dvs
Aug 23, 2007, 02:53 PM

Actually, I think it makes Woz Buddha.

Oh, and where's the alcohol, cause I'm certainly not drunken at the moment...

Sesshi
Aug 23, 2007, 03:13 PM
Biggest problem with your argument:

Apple employees, retail and otherwise do not work on a commission.

Yeah, but it could be argued that you're paid to do so :p

Actually, I think it makes Woz Buddha.

Yeah. And Jobs something of a Koresh.

BVGuitarPlayer
Aug 23, 2007, 04:21 PM
DVS, the only problems with your latest macho trip, is that I haven't disclosed anything that isn't common knowledge, have been affiliated with this board longer than with Apple, and JUST MAYBE I work for a reseller, where I didn't sign an NDA. Gee, how would you know, signed any NDAs for Apple that would hint to you that you can't be on this board?

More annoying are the people who live by the rumors they see on this site, asking what Apple employees/reps know about unreleased products. Idiots. They wouldn't have this site if any Apple employees had any idea, or would tell you about it.

CJD2112
Aug 23, 2007, 05:12 PM
Wow, people are awfully harsh to Katie....

but on topic, I know what she means. At first, I didn't mind the questions and attention. One afternoon I was at the Cheesecake Factory picking up a to go order, and as usual had to wait 30 min's extra. To fill in the time I pulled out my iPhone and hooked up to their WiFi, browsed a bit and all of a sudden I hear "iPhone!!!", followed by a few dozen customers and staff oooo'ing and awwww'ing, asking questions, etc. If one more person asks "How do I like it?" (and mind you I'm a patient guy), I'm to take the example posted by another Macrumors commentator and just say "I hate it" and walk away.

What do people expect you to say? Sheesh lol....

appleguru1
Aug 23, 2007, 05:38 PM
I do this all the time.. I've given at least 3 iphone demos since I got it (which was just last week) and I've gotten countless people (PC USERS!) to buy macs too... I'm the "go to" guy when people need computer help, and as such they come to me when they need a new one.

I got my grandfather (Former PC user) to buy an Intel iMac.. I got my little cousin to buy a macbook. Both my brother and big cousin bought iBooks (brother didn't have a computer before, big cousin had a dell laptop)... I just got my uncle (PC user) to buy a 17" macbook pro... And my other grandfather just bought a macbook. My older cousin's iBook broke, and I just went with him to get a macbook. When I was at school, I got one of my roomates to buy a macbook (the otherone already had one), and a girl I was friends with broke here PC.. and asked for advice on what computer to buy.. I got her, too, to buy a macbook.

So yeah, I'd say apple owes me too ;)

Doctor Q
Aug 23, 2007, 06:02 PM
Sheesh, I've been "selling" Macs for years -- I've never gotten paid for it, but you don't hear me bellyaching about it.You seem to be taking this discussion seriously! I think Katie is kidding about wanting to be paid for spreading the word, and I certainly am.

But the comment about AAPL by DavisNYC was perfectly sensible. If you're helping the company, buy stock and be part of the company!

ibook30
Aug 23, 2007, 06:19 PM
You seem to be taking this discussion seriously! I think Katie is kidding about wanting to be paid for spreading the word, and I certainly am.

But the comment about AAPL by DavisNYC was perfectly sensible. If you're helping the company, buy stock and be part of the company!

Doctor Q - I think you are reading the spirit of things correctly.

I've playfully thought that it'd be nice to get paid for referrals to Apple- I know I've helped influence plenty of "buying decisions". Heck - PPC campaigns get paid on this basis, and they're not nearly as effective as the testimonials and word of mouth the lot of us have created.

I was disturbed that Katie has the smellypants. I hope it's not contagious.
:)

Darkroom
Aug 23, 2007, 06:29 PM
* sigh memories * i remember back in 2002(ish) when i'd pull out my iPod and everyone would notice... it was all about apple's clever street marketing with the white headphones... then of course a few years later everyone and their dog had an iPod... maybe the same will happen with iPhone...

katie ta achoo
Aug 23, 2007, 06:46 PM
Doctor Q - I think you are reading the spirit of things correctly.

He is. Tongue-in-cheek, y'all. Though it'd be neat to have a check from Apple appear in my mailbox, I'm not expecting one or asking for it or anything. I already have a job. Having two would make my taxes complicated 'n' stuff to do.

and hey, I already got a free PowerBook from Apple. Tiger night scratch off cards = win. I had to report it as income and everything! Close enough! :p

I was disturbed that Katie has the smellypants. I hope it's not contagious.
:)

It's contagious. I recommend 2 aspirin and bed-rest. Cleared my smellypants right up.

rdowns
Aug 23, 2007, 06:56 PM

arn

Don't do it Arn. The Buyer's Guide says it's due for an update and 9to5mac had spy shots of the new rumored version. Apple Legal made them take it down. And there's an Apple Media Event (you won't be invited) coming soon. :D

phytonix
Aug 23, 2007, 07:00 PM
Well I don't think I have actually convinced anyone to buy a Mac yet.
Maybe one, but he has always been interested in Mac.

rdowns
Aug 23, 2007, 07:00 PM
I already have a job. Having two would make my taxes complicated 'n' stuff to do.

In her next blog, Katie does her taxes on the iPhone's calculator. (Actually had to look at my iPhone to see if there was a claculator).:rolleyes:

JGowan
Aug 23, 2007, 08:28 PM
You say "It's a great phone... it evens plays movies! Let me show you one of my favorites"... at that point start up Debbie Does Dallas or Deep Throat. That'll show 'em.
:D

katie ta achoo
Aug 23, 2007, 08:36 PM
You say "It's a great phone... it evens plays movies! Let me show you one of my favorites"... at that point start up Debbie Does Dallas or Deep Throat. That'll show 'em.
:D

I don't think that'll "show 'em"!

I'll make a ton of friends, though! :p

Sesshi
Aug 23, 2007, 08:37 PM
(Actually had to look at my iPhone to see if there was a claculator).:rolleyes:

Is it, like, extra loud or something?

devilot
Aug 23, 2007, 08:47 PM
:o I must be really unapproachable or something. Have had the iPhone for 2.5 weeks and only had one person approach me and ask about it. And he was already familiar with it. :o

JNB
Aug 23, 2007, 08:49 PM
I was in a club in DC, and while I had my iPhone out checking mail, a bunch of Redskins cheerleaders (well, they claimed to be, anyway) came up and started ogling my Apple goodness, and trying to entice me to their hotel rooms for a "personal demonstration."

I was easily able to resist, though, as I'm not a member of Congress, and they wouldn't take off their rubber pig noses, anyway.

GoCubsGo
Aug 23, 2007, 09:52 PM
I do not think Apple owes you anything seeing how Apple provides you with a quality product already. ;) In other words, for the people who just got lost in what I wrote, Microsoft owes me for allowing me to buy their trash. I gladly pay for Apple products because I don't mind paying for quality.

appleguru1
Aug 23, 2007, 10:18 PM
:o I must be really unapproachable or something. Have had the iPhone for 2.5 weeks and only had one person approach me and ask about it. And he was already familiar with it. :o

Eh, women do that to (most) men without needing to do anything... just the fact that you're a woman is enough to make approaching you hard enough... and a guy would either have to be incredibly nerdy (not a bad thing, but usually talking to women becomes, oh, 5000x harder for this type of man) or incredibly confident (slash no ego/men better than women complex that a lot of men have...) to approach a woman and ask her about technology/computers/gadgets...

just my .02¢ ;)

Djmx
Aug 24, 2007, 10:21 AM
Me 2... everytime i go out in the street trying to surf the net or on a phone everyone looks at me... for a few mins.. then they're like is that the new iPhone i'm like yea... and it's also a Chick-Magnet!!! :D. But I LOVE THE ATTENTION I GET!!! it's PRICELESS!!!!

mustang_dvs
Aug 24, 2007, 10:40 AM
I was in a club in DC, and while I had my iPhone out checking mail, a bunch of Redskins cheerleaders (well, they claimed to be, anyway) came up and started ogling my Apple goodness, and trying to entice me to their hotel rooms for a "personal demonstration."

I was easily able to resist, though, as I'm not a member of Congress, and they wouldn't take off their rubber pig noses, anyway.

How could you resist the charming beauty of a Hogette??? They're practically modern-day sirens, lulling opposing fans and random passers-by with their intoxicating beauty, hirsute forearms and cigar-chomping bow-shaped lips.

Taylor C
Aug 24, 2007, 01:54 PM
To be honest, I like demoing it. It hasn't gotten old ... Yet. It just shows how successful Apple has been at getting iPhone to resonate with popular culture.

Dagless
Aug 27, 2007, 08:50 AM
I think it's pretty much the same for a few Apple products, save the iPod 5.5G.

Nano and Mac Mini- ¨WTF how did it get so small?¨
Shuffle- ¨What's that?¨
iMac- ¨Where's the computer?¨... I'm being serious! It exists beyond marketting.

They all lead to praising conversations.

StrongBad
Aug 31, 2007, 06:24 AM
thousands?? are you out of your mind?

You'd be lucky to see $85 in commission on $16,500 of electronic sales. Start charging for demos if you are hard up for cash, but don't demand to earn 20% or more on the lamest sales record in the world.

lou2000
Sep 4, 2007, 06:30 AM
During the last two days of June and the rest of July, all the people who had already decided to let their contracts expire and buy iphones did. Let's call it a million people. And assume that since January, an even number of people's contracts expired each month. Let call that 200,000. Now figure each month another 200,000 people's contracts exprire and they buy the iphone. but we also have all the previous iPhone buyers out there selling, lets say one or two phones a month. That should add up to about 10 million more iphone sales a year. Apple should cancel their ad campaign and send us a commission.

zombitronic
Sep 6, 2007, 10:16 AM
Apple should cancel their ad campaign and send us a commission.

Especially after yesterday... :mad:

whistler72
Sep 12, 2007, 12:42 PM
I still get people asking me.. "Is that the new iPhone?!?" do you like it? grrrrrr.

I want to tell them.. "GO BUY YOUR OWN!"

chr1s60
Sep 12, 2007, 03:21 PM
I still get people asking me.. "Is that the new iPhone?!?" do you like it? grrrrrr.

I want to tell them.. "GO BUY YOUR OWN!"

Seriously, why do people ask the same question all the time? "Do you like it?" If I didn't like it wouldn't I have returned it??? I have started telling people to just go buy one. I am tired of doing demo's and with the new price slash more people are willing to fork out the money. I finally convinced my dad and my best friend to go buy one instead of using mine for everything when I was around them.

Doctor Q
Sep 12, 2007, 05:24 PM
Tell them you can't stand using such an innovative device, and hate being first on your block with the hottest gear around, but you lost a bet with your roommate and this was your punishment. See if they believe you.

p0intblank
Sep 14, 2007, 07:33 PM
Now that I live on college campus, I get people asking all the time "Is that an iPhone?!" I then gladly give a demo. :)

akhentek
Jan 29, 2008, 12:18 PM
agreed.. the biggest nuisance with my iphone
is indeed the fact i cannot use it anywhere
without being interrupted by a 3rd party :)

this is particularly more intense here in canada
where everyone is always talking about it but
living in a country that remains iphone-less

however, we all must admit that a part of us
really likes the attention this latest tech brings

enjoy it while it's here... it wont last forever ;)