Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Green Lantern

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Just got a 24" iMac this past weekend, love it. However, I have noticed a light "Halo" at the top left part of the screen. It almost looks like the back light is bleeding over to the top of the screen. It is only visible when the top of the screen is dark or black, such as when watching a letterbox movie. They also appear along the bottom of the screen just not as bad. Has anyone else noticed this?

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
It won't be going away most likely. It is backlight bleed and is due to poor manufacturing standards as well as the poor concepts of lighting we have in place for LCDs thus far.

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Is this considered 'normal' or should the OP consider having his iMac replaced?

Green Lantern

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Good, question...Is this normal? I am going back to Apple store this weekend to see if I notice it on any of the screens in the store. I will make my decision after that. Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
GL

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I have a 17" C2D 2 GHZ "white" iMac. I was able to reproduce what you are talking about only when watching a letterbox movie with all the lights off in the room. I have a "halo" line across the top of the screen where it looks like a little light is escaping. Not enough to bother me. Sounds like yours might be worse.

Green Lantern

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Took back to apple store for replacement. I have to say they where great, didn't even question it. Took mine, migrated all information to a new one, had me out in 40 minutes. As soon as I got home I turned off all the lights and played a few movies in letterbox. The new one still has a few halos along the bottom of the screen, but nothing near as bad as the first one. All in all I'm pretty happy with the iMac and the service from the local Apple store.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
I think a good amount of the iMacs has got backlight bleeding, some of them worse than others. So I guess it's would be "normal". But I bet that you can return it if it bugs you a lot.
I had slight bleeding on the one I returned, but not enough to make me return it for that reason.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
yeah, i've got some backlight bleed as well on my 24" iMac.
but i'm not too worried about it - i got a display with no dead pixels and that is more important to me.
have any of you messed with the color profile yet? people say the 20" ships with a lousy profile and have posted a fix. the 24" looks good, but, when comparing color in say illustrator to what gets displayed normally - there is a huge difference on some colors.

Green Lantern

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Haven't messed with the profile yet. The factory standard on the 24" doesn't seem to have the same problem as the 20" models. My screen looks great, still some blacklight bleed, but no where near as bad as the first one I got. I did not notice any dead pixels on either system, but I have heard it is an issue.

hwolfe

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
Halo effect problem

You are experiencing what is called the Cloud Effect which is prevelant in many LCD displays. I recently purchased the Sony Bravia KDL-46V2500 Digital HD monitor and have this same problem occuring on the left side of the screen. This problem is common among LCD monitors or computer displays such as the Apple 24" Imac displays. On another note, I almost purchased the new Imac 24" black border and reflective glass front computer, but stopped short when I saw it at an apple store last week. I hated it. I was able to buy the flat screen matted 24" unit instead. I'd advise anyone doing much video edting as I do to stay away from this new version. Apple really screwed up. What were they thinking.

Henri

Just got a 24" iMac this past weekend, love it. However, I have noticed a light "Halo" at the top left part of the screen. It almost looks like the back light is bleeding over to the top of the screen. It is only visible when the top of the screen is dark or black, such as when watching a letterbox movie. They also appear along the bottom of the screen just not as bad. Has anyone else noticed this?

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
have any of you messed with the color profile yet? people say the 20" ships with a lousy profile and have posted a fix. the 24" looks good, but, when comparing color in say illustrator to what gets displayed normally - there is a huge difference on some colors.

The profile I created for my 24" is attached. It does "cool down" the display somewhat, but I thought the default profile looked a bit too yellow anyway.

To use, unzip the attachment and copy the .icc file to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays. Then open System Preferences -> Displays and select the Color tab. The profile is named iMac-Native.

Attachments

• iMac-Native-4271B00.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 138

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
The profile I created for my 24" is attached. It does "cool down" the display somewhat, but I thought the default profile looked a bit too yellow anyway.

To use, unzip the attachment and copy the .icc file to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays. Then open System Preferences -> Displays and select the Color tab. The profile is named iMac-Native.

thanks! i'll give it a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.