PDA

View Full Version : "Two major airlines admit to price fixing"

nbs2
Aug 23, 2007, 11:59 AM
Following the UKs $246m fine of BA, the US is fining BA and Korean $300m (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070823/ap_on_bi_ge/british_airways_fine) apiece. I would have preferred to see Korean go down for the $600m and BA for the $900m that they were facing.

Something tells me that BA is going to just get worse and worse. I remember many years ago when BA was the class of the industry. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

garybUK
Aug 24, 2007, 04:49 AM
well i travel 6000+ miles about 6 times a year and BA have always been the most professional, felt the safest, the nicest staff and have most of the time been the cheapest.

Compare them to the likes of Continental, KLM, American Airlines etc and they win hands down. Sad day really.

Le Big Mac
Aug 24, 2007, 01:50 PM
well i travel 6000+ miles about 6 times a year and BA have always been the most professional, felt the safest, the nicest staff and have most of the time been the cheapest.

Compare them to the likes of Continental, KLM, American Airlines etc and they win hands down. Sad day really.

This is over cargo rates, not passenger fares . . . I suspect they can all afford the fines.

idkjames
Aug 24, 2007, 11:27 PM
This is pretty ridiculus. If I were a foreign company I would have refused to cooperate with the US gov't. They cooperated voluntarily. They didn't have to do anything. Price fixing goes on all the time. They need to get the companies that are really hurting people's pockets.

ambience
Aug 25, 2007, 01:33 AM
This is pretty ridiculus. If I were a foreign company I would have refused to cooperate with the US gov't. They cooperated voluntarily. They didn't have to do anything. Price fixing goes on all the time. They need to get the companies that are really hurting people's pockets.

Even though they are foreign companies, they have to follow US laws in the US. If they break the laws, they have to cooperate and pays the fines here. If they do not, I'm sure those foreign companies would love to lose their ability to do business here.

nbs2
Aug 25, 2007, 08:41 AM
This is over cargo rates, not passenger fares . . . I suspect they can all afford the fines.

They need to get the companies that are really hurting people's pockets.

That meant higher costs for international shippers and passengers.

Whose pockets?

h?
Aug 25, 2007, 11:37 AM
Good, i hate BA all after my holiday to Greece with them last year. Customer service was atrocious

elfin buddy
Aug 26, 2007, 05:00 PM
I had a pretty bad experience with BA four years ago, so I've made a point of avoiding them since.

While flying from Munich to London, there was a power failure on the plane as we were taxiing to the runway. The whole plane just shut down for about seven seconds, and then just started up again, going merrily on its way as if nothing had happened. The captain didn't even acknowledge it.

As we were accelerating down the runway for takeoff, we were about to lift off into the air and suddenly the engines were shut off and the pilot slammed on the brakes. We stopped on the runway, spun around, and then pulled off to the right. The captain comes on the PA and says, "Yeaaaah...we had some warning lights flashing on takeoff, so we aborted at the last moment. But we're going to swing around and try it again!" So we did, and this time we got in the air safely.

The icing on the cake was the landing in London. As we came in to land, we hit the ground fairly hard (roughest landing I've ever had), and just stopped on the runway. Didn't even bother pulling off the runway. The captain comes on the PA again and says, "Aaaaand if you look to your left out the windows, you will see lots of flashing lights and sirens. We blew out a tyre on landing, so the airport sent out their emergency vehicles just in case."

That's fine and dandy, except that the emergency vehicles weren't rushing to the plane after we landed...they had been waiting for us the whole time. There's no way that "blowing out a tyre" was the only thing wrong with that flight, because they wouldn't otherwise have had an entire fleet of emergency vehicles waiting for us.

So yeah, I refuse to fly BA since then. :rolleyes:

Rodimus Prime
Aug 26, 2007, 07:40 PM
I had a pretty bad experience with BA four years ago, so I've made a point of avoiding them since.

While flying from Munich to London, there was a power failure on the plane as we were taxiing to the runway. The whole plane just shut down for about seven seconds, and then just started up again, going merrily on its way as if nothing had happened. The captain didn't even acknowledge it.

As we were accelerating down the runway for takeoff, we were about to lift off into the air and suddenly the engines were shut off and the pilot slammed on the brakes. We stopped on the runway, spun around, and then pulled off to the right. The captain comes on the PA and says, "Yeaaaah...we had some warning lights flashing on takeoff, so we aborted at the last moment. But we're going to swing around and try it again!" So we did, and this time we got in the air safely.

The icing on the cake was the landing in London. As we came in to land, we hit the ground fairly hard (roughest landing I've ever had), and just stopped on the runway. Didn't even bother pulling off the runway. The captain comes on the PA again and says, "Aaaaand if you look to your left out the windows, you will see lots of flashing lights and sirens. We blew out a tyre on landing, so the airport sent out their emergency vehicles just in case."

That's fine and dandy, except that the emergency vehicles weren't rushing to the plane after we landed...they had been waiting for us the whole time. There's no way that "blowing out a tyre" was the only thing wrong with that flight, because they wouldn't otherwise have had an entire fleet of emergency vehicles waiting for us.

So yeah, I refuse to fly BA since then. :rolleyes:

we some of that can be explain. The power going out could of been they glitch up in the cockpit and cause the enginees to shut off. Not a big deal quick restarted. the warning like part could of been cause by that. Scary but understandable.

As for the blowing out a tire Airlines run the tires on the planes until they blow them out. Almost all pilots have dealt with few blow outs. Now could of been something else that went wrong during the flight that raised alarm or something with the blow out that made them worry. When ever something goes on they always send the entire fleet of vehicles.

Now they are never going to tell you what really went on. For example some airline pilots have landed a plane with no power (engine shut off unexpectedly) and like hell are they going to tell the passengers because they not want to start a panic followed be a media riot over something fairly minor.

mpw
Aug 26, 2007, 07:56 PM
All airlines without fail are crap. I've flown on enough delayed/canceled/rerouted flights to know that none give a ****** about the customer.

That said I'd have preferred to see harder legislation rather than a huge fine as punishment. A fine is only going to benefit the other airlines, legislation that meant better service would benefit the customer.

idkjames
Aug 31, 2007, 09:37 AM
The US Gov't said the airlines VOLUNTARILY cooperated. No it would be hard to exclude those airlines from the US b/c with international airlines the US Gov't guarantees those countries routes to the US and since korean air is the only carrier from Korea that serves the US or is capable of doing it it would present a conflict of interest. The US wouldn't be able to restrict them. And if price fixing isn't against the Law in Korea Korean air wouldn't have to do anything. And you can't make legislation about better service. Does the mcdonalds employee who gets pissed and calls you an asswhole get fined? Laws can't regulate service thats going too far. There are already too many laws.