PDA

View Full Version : Engraved iPod helps police catch thief

velocityg4
Aug 23, 2007, 03:54 PM
TITUSVILLE — An anti-theft message left on an iPod helped Titusville police grab the man accused of stealing it.

Wilford McCloud, 25, Titusville, faces one count of burglary and one count of grand theft.

Titusville Police said they stopped McCloud at 5 a.m. Monday after seeing him riding a bicycle without proper safety lights.

During the conversation with officers, McCloud pulled out an iPod engraved with its owner’s name and the phrase, “Please don’t steal me.”

Officers took the iPod and released McCloud, who claimed he bought the music player for $20.

The iPod owner reported it stolen the next day. Detectives arrested McCloud Wednesday morning after another interview.

It's good that the engraving actually worked.

Link: http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070823/BREAKINGNEWS/70823028&template=news0301

Killyp
Aug 23, 2007, 05:03 PM
Smart, this is what iPod engraving should be for IMO, but I'm just careful with my iPod, never leaves my pocket (and I'm one of these people who would know if I got pick-pocketed).

yetanotherdave
Aug 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
Smart, this is what iPod engraving should be for IMO, but I'm just careful with my iPod, never leaves my pocket (and I'm one of these people who would know if I got pick-pocketed).

How? (serious question) some of these guys are pro's, you'll never know until you go for the thing that's been lifted.

iTeen
Aug 23, 2007, 05:16 PM
How? (serious question) some of these guys are pro's, you'll never know until you go for the thing that's been lifted. well...at least for my ipod i normally have it plugged into my ears...i would notice if the music stopped or my earphones got plucked out of my ears.:rolleyes:

bennyboi
Aug 23, 2007, 06:00 PM
(and I'm one of these people who would know if I got pick-pocketed).

I'm one of those people that will never ever get into a car accident. I'm smarter than that.

irmongoose
Aug 24, 2007, 12:48 AM
So this guy just pulled out a stolen iPod to show to the cops? Pro or no pro, he definitely doesn't seem to have the slightest sense.

irmongoose

Abstract
Aug 24, 2007, 03:53 AM

Sure you are. ;)

kwood
Aug 24, 2007, 10:40 AM
Sure you are. ;)

Yeah really. Some pick pocketers are really good. They can take your stuff without you noticing. I saw thing on Discovery channel a while back on it.