Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vablonx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
So I'm concidering getting the new iMac 24in 2.8ghz w/2g or 4g of ram. I'll buy and install the ram myself of course. My question to those that got theirs is this...

I'm a gamer... Is it worth it?

I mostly play games like Wow and will get starcraft 2 when it comes out. Might want to try Crysis when it comes out but know that machine won't come close to maxing it out...

Is it worth it?

Vablonx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
I have a Mac Pro G5. Dual 1.8ghz w/ 1.5g of ram. Radeon 9800 w/ 256megs.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
For WoW and probably Starcraft you are Ok. But if you are gamer I would think you would probably be happier with a PC. The main criticisms of the consumer level macs, is their lack of upgradability. For heavy gamers a more upgradeable system is probably preferred, PCs you can add new Video Cards when they come out (A major performance boost for gamers) RAM upgrades, Sound Card Upgrades, Enough USB ports for Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick, Steering Wheel, .... Plus with Macs you only get a few Major Games from select Companies. Mac Pro would be a good fit but they cost a lot and give you more then you need as a gamer. As of right now Apple doesn't really have a strong gaming platform System.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.