PDA

View Full Version : new 17" macbook pros on ebay

ragnarwantsmbp
Aug 23, 2007, 07:28 PM
Hi,
I'm interested in buying a new 2.4 Ghz macbook pro 17" with the optional high-def (1900X1200) matte screen and 7200rpm 160Gb hd to do my Hi-Def video editing. Due to our prices and taxes, it would end up costing me between $3500 and $3800 to do this at an authorized apple retailer here in Winnipeg, Canada, or through Apple.ca.

I've noticed that there are a surprising number of these exact machines available "new & sealed in the box" on ebay for $2500 - $2800. Even with the shipping and exchange I could stand to save up to $1000. Seemed too good to be true until I started messaging some of the people on ebay who'd just recently purchased these machines from these sellers. Most were thrilled with the machines they'd received and the prices they'd paid - and these were some longterm ebayers with losts of feedback. There's one guy from Santa Rancho Margarita that's selling one for around $2500. I talked to someone who'd already bought this exact machine from him only last week and he told me that the machine arrived and is exactly what was promised.

What I can't figure out is, where do these ebay sellers come across four macbook pros with hi-def screens and 7200rpm hds to sell on ebay? Is it too good to be true, or just a great deal?

Eric Lewis
Aug 23, 2007, 07:57 PM
never trust ebay....

i bought a iMac g4(like 1 year ago) it was around $250cnd with shipping..like the first low end model!(they said it was that) and they sent me an G3 iMac and claimed it was a iMac g4..they ripped me but i got my 100dollars back...

ebay is all scaims

Estelio
Aug 23, 2007, 08:46 PM
Why not buy refurb?

It's $2,600 and backed by Apple.

ragnarwantsmbp
Aug 23, 2007, 09:02 PM
Wow Estelio, I'm in heaven thanks to your advice!

I found the refurbished macbook pro I want on the Canadian apple website and it's only $2859 Canadian dollars, as compared to the $3399 new price tag!

Thanks for the great suggestion. I would never have noticed that little refurbished section had you not mentioned it (it's not exactly made to stand out on the page).:)

Estelio
Aug 23, 2007, 09:51 PM
You're welcome!

And you can buy without worry, because Apple is known for great refurbs!
Make sure you purchase AppleCare on top of the one year warranty, because that thing will be amazing for years to come.

ragnarwantsmbp
Aug 27, 2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks again Estelio!

I missed out on one of these babies because it sold while I was on the phone with apple asking a question about it:o!!! Then the dude at apple told me that it was very rare that they get this exact configuration in as a refurb:eek:, that when they do they sell them instantly:(, and that I shouldn't hold my breath until another comes along:mad: - but low and behold, only two days later another one appeared and I jumped on it :D- saved me $600 over buying one from an authorized apple dealer here in Winnipeg! I just came back from a 3 month trip through South East Asia and upon arrival home decided to shoot a short film...so I am broke and every cent counts right now. I did some research and feel very confident that the apple refurbishments are as top notch as you'd mentioned. ;)

So thanks again for the tip! I'm counting down these long days as it gets shipped up here to Canada from the U.S.A.

Cheers.:)

And you can tell how excited I am because I never use emoticons!

Tumeg101
Aug 27, 2007, 07:40 PM
...There's one guy from Santa Rancho Margarita that's selling one for around $2500...

It is Rancho Santa Margarita btw (lol).... and I think these are just good deals, or maybe they know people who know people who can get them good deals on, them, and they sell them on eBay for a profit

skye12
Aug 27, 2007, 07:56 PM
And then there's the fact that some items are ebay are stolen. You
have to be careful and use common sense. If it too good of a deal,
something MAY be wrong.

CanadaRAM
Aug 27, 2007, 08:00 PM
But more likely, (since there are no good deals to be had on new, legitimate Apple hardware), the auctions could be frauds or not new, or stolen machines.

The wholesale dealer price on Apple equipment is between 3% and 7% off retail. If there's a 'new' machine that is $1000 off retail, there is something wrong. The only question is 'what'.

wakerider017
Aug 27, 2007, 08:37 PM
But more likely, (since there are no good deals to be had on new, legitimate Apple hardware), the auctions could be frauds or not new, or stolen machines.

The wholesale dealer price on Apple equipment is between 3% and 7% off retail. If there's a 'new' machine that is $1000 off retail, there is something wrong. The only question is 'what'.

Exactly right!

If it is too good to be true then something is probably wrong...