PDA

View Full Version : Ram??

CaVoLo
Aug 8, 2003, 01:58 PM
Hello all, I'm ordering a powermac g5 dual 2 ghz....and i was wondering if the standeard 512 pc3200 ram would be a sufficent amount to handle the video games i will be playing (wc3, wc3 frozen throne, wolfenstein, etc)....i know that more ram is always a plus and i intend to upgrade later on....but will i notice a major speed difference if i decide to just stick with the 512mb of ram??

Thanx for your help

edesignuk
Aug 8, 2003, 02:02 PM
512MB should be fine, but you will want to go up to 1GB ASAP to really do the rest of the system justice.

superfunkomatic
Aug 8, 2003, 02:04 PM
512MB is pretty fast. but if you have the cash, RAM is dirt cheap right now. if you get more than you need right now, you'll have tonnes as the computer ages. there will be a noticeable difference if say, you put in 1GB of RAM, but it won't be blowing your shorts off, it'll just seem quicker.

if you use it for webserving, data calculations the RAM will speed things up noticeably.

for games the video card in the g5 will make the user experience better over previous g4 or g3 systems.

MrMacMan
Aug 8, 2003, 08:10 PM
Hehe (half joking):
If you get 1.5 GB of Ram you will be able to finally play WCIII and Another game smoothly at the same time.

:p

1 GB will be a start, but for a Dual 2.0... thats only 256 Per chip, a little cutting it short.

Vlade
Aug 8, 2003, 09:15 PM
512 is plenty, I have 896 and I wish I wouldn't have bought that extra 256 for 40 bucks. If you look under the Apple System Profiler, you can tell how much RAM you are actually using.

In my opinion, having 2 gigs of RAM for a desktop is useless (I know I am going to get flamed for this, but tell me what apps you use ever use more than a half gig of RAM?)

Keith Purfield
Aug 8, 2003, 09:55 PM
Vlade, 2GB of RAM is a lot, yes, but when running a webserver, a little more RAM does a lot more justice.

Of course, people could always use a server for a webserver, but what fun would that be? :p

Vlade
Aug 8, 2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Keith Purfield
Vlade, 2GB of RAM is a lot, yes, but when running a webserver, a little more RAM does a lot more justice.

In my opinion, having 2 gigs of RAM for a desktop is useless

:rolleyes:

I agree with you about the server thing though.

Mblazened
Aug 8, 2003, 11:11 PM
c'mon, max your machine out! you have a butt-kicking computer! Its a mac monster machine. Be the first on your block to pump out 8 GIGS RAM!

patrick0brien
Aug 9, 2003, 12:06 AM
-All

Be aware, the RAM DIMM's for the G5 isn't nearly as cheap as the RAM we're used to.

Vlade
Aug 9, 2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-All

Be aware, the RAM DIMM's for the G5 isn't nearly as cheap as the RAM we're used to.

RAM, Hard Drives, CDRWs, Blank Media, and other stuff like that are ALWAYS atleast 50% off if your willing to wait for a rebate at staples/best buy/office max

irmongoose
Aug 9, 2003, 09:17 AM
512 in a G5.... I dunno... it just doesn't seem to do justice to the G5. Heh.

Anyways, if you plan on getting more (and more RAM is always better, if only a little), remember that you'll have to get the special ones for the G5 that come in pairs... you can only add RAM to the G5s by increments of 2.

irmongoose

Vlade
Aug 9, 2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by irmongoose
512 in a G5.... I dunno... it just doesn't seem to do justice to the G5. Heh.

Anyways, if you plan on getting more (and more RAM is always better, if only a little), remember that you'll have to get the special ones for the G5 that come in pairs... you can only add RAM to the G5s by increments of 2.

irmongoose

Does that mean its dual channel, like some new PCs that get double bandwidth with 2 RAM banks?

Nermal
Aug 9, 2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
Does that mean its dual channel, like some new PCs that get double bandwidth with 2 RAM banks?

Yeah I think it is dual channel.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 9, 2003, 06:39 PM
Nermal's spot-on. G5 RAM is dual-channel.

Macpoops
Aug 9, 2003, 09:00 PM
get it standard save yourself about a hundred bones and buy a gig at ramjet for less then apple