PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 keeps freezing

MacDonaldsd
Aug 24, 2007, 08:28 AM
My 12" PowerBook G4 has just decided to keep freezing about 10 minutes after I start it up, now its having problems rebooting.

Any ideas what it could be, it works fine once it gets going for about 10 minutes that is. Ive repaired the disc permission and the problem still persists.

mad jew
Aug 24, 2007, 11:25 PM
Do you have any third party components installed or connected? Has Console picked anything up in the crash logs? :)

CanadaRAM
Aug 24, 2007, 11:27 PM
Could be:
The hard drive
A bad USB peripheral
The RAM
An intermittent connection, somewhere

JCPH
Aug 24, 2007, 11:34 PM
I had this problem a little while ago (I have a PowerBook Alum. 15"). It was my hard drive and it eventually fried itself. My advice until you are 100% sure what is wrong: back up your stuff! I'm sure many things could be happening but you want to prepare for the worst scenario.

I just installed a new HD (today, infact) and it's running like a new machine. Keep running diagnostics, they may come across something.

MacDonaldsd
Aug 25, 2007, 07:10 AM
Cheers everyone it was the hard drive, the hardware test didn't spot it until it completely broke. Luckily its my second "on the road" machine so all my important stuff is safe.

I back up weekly(ish) but the fact it gave up in a day makes me really value the fact that time machine is coming.